PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers, Lawrence Timmons agree to 6-year $50M extension; effect on deal for Mayo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reflexblue

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, If Timmons gets $50 million what is Mayo worth? Mayo was drafted the year after Timmons.

Steelers, Lawrence Timmons agree to 6-year extension - BostonHerald.com
PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers and linebacker Lawrence Timmons have agreed to a new six-year contract.

The deal, announced early Tuesday, will pay Timmons $50 million through 2016. Timmons is the second linebacker to sign an extension with the Steelers in the last month. Teammate LaMarr Woodley agreed to a six-year, $61.5 million contract on Aug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Steelers, Lawrence Timmons agree to 6-year extension

Steelers are gonna have great LB core for a long time.

Re: Steelers, Lawrence Timmons agree to 6-year $50M extension; effect on deal for May

Lawrence Timmons: $50M/6 yrs
Bart Scott: $48M/6 yrs
David Harris: $36M/4 yrs

I think it's very likely that Mayo asks for more than $9M/yr.

Re: Steelers, Lawrence Timmons agree to 6-year $50M extension; effect on deal for May

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but thats way too much money for a MLB in our system. Damn, evem Seau at 40 started there with good games.

Am I the only person who sees Mayo taking a pretty good hometown discount? I just can't see him wanting to play for anybody other than Belichick ever. This is the guy who lives 5 minutes from the stadium because he knew that's where he'd be spending most of his time.

Damn...I thought the Steelers were still over the cap?

do we lock Mayo up sooner than expected? I would... if he hits FAcy he is gone. Most players are motivated by $$$. Home town discount would be nice, but unlikely.:(

I'd say Timmons and Mayo are fairly similar players, and depending on the overall cap outlook I wouldn't be averse to giving Mayo something commensurate to this deal.

Damn...I thought the Steelers were still over the cap?

Not a chance they're still over it--every team had to be under the cap a few weeks ago. I think they restructured a bunch of contracts.

The bottom line is that you can always fit a guy or two under the cap if you're willing to make sacrifices down the road, defer a lot of their salary, etc. However, you can get stuck with your current roster for a while if you make too many moves (e.g. the Jets have to have Scott and Pace on their 2012 team and have them both making a lot of money, regardless of how good those guys will be next year).

Mayo ticks off all the boxes for Bill, including leadership in a big way. He'll get his, and he'll get it early although maybe not this year (unless he gets a December extension at the $10M new money level that averages a lot less due to adding it onto the remaining rookie deal years). They will use at least one remaining year to help spread out the damage on amortization and lower the AAV.

I'd say Timmons and Mayo are fairly similar players, and depending on the overall cap outlook I wouldn't be averse to giving Mayo something commensurate to this deal.

I agree with this, Mayo at the price tag Simmons just signed at wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

BB thinks highly of Mayo. Mayo is a Pats captain. Here's hoping the sides reach a suitable agreement that rewards Mayo for his role.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but thats way too much money for a MLB in our system. Damn, evem Seau at 40 started there with good games.

someone said that about LG, too

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back