PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers Game Plan on D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't even read the article cause with **** Lebeau at the helm of Pittsburgh's defense.....they're scheme has NEVER changed.....with anyone.

1) Bring heavy pressure.
2) Blitz with linebackers
3) use your corners to blitz

Simply put.......They'll be aggressive and attack.

no way around it!

Context is an important thing.
You ignored all of LeBeaus comments, and are combining quotes from the NT, without the context of him talking about compared to the one time they beat us in 2004, and the part that followed saying what he is talking about is what we did in 2007.
Then you are using the writers comments and implying that is the Steelers feelings and game plan.
To which you said 'looks like they have the Patriots figured out'
Wow, just wow.

As far as creativity, again you lost me. First you said it doesn't take a genius to see we have no creativity, then you say that means maybe use Tate to stretch the field. I don't know why you think Tate isnt running deep routes. Do you think he is running deep if we don't throw it deep to him? Do you think long incompletions stretch the field but running deep routes and throwing elsewhere dont?
Or are you just tossing in 'strectch the field' as a euphamism to allow you to criticize?

what? **** lebeau said nothing about our offense for the past few years - just made a couple of brady statements. second, the NT is saying that our offense is basically dink and dunk - what do you think has been beaten into his head all week by his coaching staff? the nose tackle is talking about our offense NOW and how the philosophy hasn't changed much since 2007. as far as creativity is concerned, again, read what i wrote in my second post - creative means running a few things that they are not expecting. NOT TRICK PLAYS - where you got that from i have no idea. We can use Tate to stretch the field more - no one is taking him as a serious threat. but a few plays to tate (or hernandez or gronk) here and there tommorrow night on a deep play and then the steelers d will leave welker more open across the underneath.

again, from the article:

"I think they have a different philosophy now; they have that little Wes Welker thing now going on, where if they can't run the football, they throw little dumps to Wes Welker, little dinks and dunks. When we played up there a couple years ago, they went to a spread offense with one back and kept dumping the ball to Welker; it was a run option.

"I think that's kind of their blueprint. If they can't run the ball against us, they say we'll just spread you out and throw little 5 yards and see if Welker can break it out for 6, 7, 8 yards."

and i NEVER said the steelers had the pats O figured out - I just am saying that it SEEMS that the steelers are EXPECTING dink and dunk tomorrow so lets give them something they are not expecting.

Last edited:
Second person to mention the Colts offense. Does anyone here think we have the Colts offense with our current group? what similarities.

What continuity with our receivers, running back and O line would make people think we are the Colts? The Colts do what they do, usually well. Comparing what we do and the personnel we have with the Colts is only saying we are both football teams.

You must be joking. What continuity, besides Wayne, do the Colts have this year? Garcon has been in and out of the line-up and has been dropping passes like they're on fire. Austin Collie has also been in and out of the line-up while Gonzalez is done for the year. Also done for the year is Manning's undisputed #1 weapon in Clark. He's been replaced by Jacob Tamme. There is far less continuity in the Colts receiving corps than there is within our's,

You must be joking. What continuity, besides Wayne, do the Colts have this year? Garcon has been in and out of the line-up and has been dropping passes like they're on fire. Austin Collie has also been in and out of the line-up while Gonzalez is done for the year. Also done for the year is Manning's undisputed #1 weapon in Clark. He's been replaced by Jacob Tamme. There is far less continuity in the Colts receiving corps than there is within our's,

Wayne has 60 catches, over 12 yards a catch. Addai has 400+ yards at 4.4 a pop.

Whether they have injuries or not is irrelevant. They aren't going to start running our offense and we're not going to start running theirs. We tried that in 2007 and it almost worked.

If they have more injuries, they'll get the best replacements they can and run the same type of offense. That was the point, right? Because the Colts do the same thing we should? It's a poor point. Our personnel is not designed for a few strong offensive players running the same offense, it's designed to have lots of options to work in synchronixzation with our QB.

Last edited:
Whether they have injuries or not is irrelevant. They aren't going to start running our offense and we're not going to start running theirs. We tried that in 2007 and it almost worked.

Uh, where did I advocate that we begin running a timing offense? As for 2007, we were still running our offense.

If they have more injuries, they'll get the best replacements they can and run the same type of offense. That was the point, right? Because the Colts do the same thing we should? It's a poor point. Our personnel is not designed for a few strong offensive players running the same offense, it's designed to have lots of options to work in synchronixzation with our QB.

No offense, Ray, but you may want to check your reading comprehension. You couldn't be further off. My point was that trick plays and "creativity" on offense are overrated. My point was to look at the Colts, who run one of the most simple offenses in the NFL today. They're hard to stop (#3 offense in the NFL) and they don't pull off a ton of trickery.

Uh, where did I advocate that we begin running a timing offense? As for 2007, we were still running our offense.

No offense, Ray, but you may want to check your reading comprehension. You couldn't be further off. My point was that trick plays and "creativity" on offense are overrated. My point was to look at the Colts, who run one of the most simple offenses in the NFL today. They're hard to stop (#3 offense in the NFL) and they don't pull off a ton of trickery.

The Colts draft differently than we do and do just about everything differently than we do. If you expect Brady to hook up 100 times with Branch for 12 yards per because the colts do it with Wayne, that's fine.

What the Colts do on offense, with the offense they've built and refined over many years with Manning has absolutely nothing to do with the offense we run with young tight ends and various small quick receivers.

I'm not talking about trick plays, I'm talking about not being able to beat teams based on athletic ability and familiarity between QB and a top receiver right now.

I believe, with our current personnel, we need to be creative.

If you think every team in the league can succeed with the Colts style of play, that's your opinion, I disagree.

It's pretty well known the Pats game plan a different offense for each opponent, making their general approach the exact opposite of the Colts style.

Last edited:
The Colts run many plays from the same package. They are more deceptive than our offenses most of the time, but they are certainly not more creative. We lack creativity and deception, but as other people have been saying, with better execution, deception and creativity would be a non-issue. However, variety could help. I think our offense is predictable. I still believe that good route running, good blocking, and good throwing will beat good coverage in any play.

1st down: Run, sometimes short pass
2nd down: Run
3rd down: Short pass
4th down: Punt

That's what we do all the time.
Bill O'Brien really is creative...

Do you have the percentages to back that up? :confused:

I'm thinking not!

The Colts draft differently than we do and do just about everything differently than we do. If you expect Brady to hook up 100 times with Branch for 12 yards per because the colts do it with Wayne, that's fine.

What the Colts do on offense, with the offense they've built and refined over many years with Manning has absolutely nothing to do with the offense we run with young tight ends and various small quick receivers.

I'm not talking about trick plays, I'm talking about not being able to beat teams based on athletic ability and familiarity between QB and a top receiver right now.

I believe, with our current personnel, we need to be creative.

If you think every team in the league can succeed with the Colts style of play, that's your opinion, I disagree.

It's pretty well known the Pats game plan a different offense for each opponent, making their general approach the exact opposite of the Colts style.

Once again, nowhere did I say that we need to upload the Colts style of offense. Once again, I'm not expecting Brady to become Manning. What I'm saying is that "creativity" on offense is overhyped in this thread. We have one of the better mixtures of run and pass in the league in spite of the fact that our running backs are either second rate (BJGE), hurt #1's (Taylor), or backs that should be relegated to third downs (Woodhead). With that mixture, what more creativity do you need if you're not talking about trick plays? Please be specific.

If the team executes properly in each facet of the game then we'll be fine. Once again, it all comes down to execution... something that nobody did well yesterday.

Reggie wayne is top 5 in receiving yards and garcon has 4 drops. For comparison purposes look at welker who has 5 drops and he is our best receiver.

I certainly don't think the colts have more continuity than ours. But not because manning lost clark because brady lossing moss is comparable. The gonzalez injury and Collie being banged up is what tips the scale to me. Don't look now but jacob tamme had a pretty damn good game against the iggles and wasn't bad the week before either.

what? **** lebeau said nothing about our offense for the past few years - just made a couple of brady statements. second, the NT is saying that our offense is basically dink and dunk - what do you think has been beaten into his head all week by his coaching staff? the nose tackle is talking about our offense NOW and how the philosophy hasn't changed much since 2007. as far as creativity is concerned, again, read what i wrote in my second post - creative means running a few things that they are not expecting. NOT TRICK PLAYS - where you got that from i have no idea. We can use Tate to stretch the field more - no one is taking him as a serious threat. but a few plays to tate (or hernandez or gronk) here and there tommorrow night on a deep play and then the steelers d will leave welker more open across the underneath.

again, from the article:

"I think they have a different philosophy now; they have that little Wes Welker thing now going on, where if they can't run the football, they throw little dumps to Wes Welker, little dinks and dunks. When we played up there a couple years ago, they went to a spread offense with one back and kept dumping the ball to Welker; it was a run option.

"I think that's kind of their blueprint. If they can't run the ball against us, they say we'll just spread you out and throw little 5 yards and see if Welker can break it out for 6, 7, 8 yards."

and i NEVER said the steelers had the pats O figured out - I just am saying that it SEEMS that the steelers are EXPECTING dink and dunk tomorrow so lets give them something they are not expecting.
NOW was referring to compared to 2004 when they beat us, the comment made just prior to NOW.
You quoted the comment where after NOW he refers to a couple of years ago.

Your words from the op:

Apparently, it looks as if the steelers think they have the Pats O figured out.

Wayne has 60 catches, over 12 yards a catch. Addai has 400+ yards at 4.4 a pop.

I think you should go back and reread the Colts references. The comments were relating to 'creativity' and saying the Colts arent creative but they are good. You have misunderstood.

I certainly don't think the colts have more continuity than ours. But not because manning lost clark because brady lossing moss is comparable. The gonzalez injury and Collie being banged up is what tips the scale to me. Don't look now but jacob tamme had a pretty damn good game against the iggles and wasn't bad the week before either.

I agree that the Moss trade is a big one when it comes to continuity on offense. However, Moss was replaced with Branch who, as we all know, has a ton of continuity with Brady even though he's been in Seattle for a few years. As for Tamme, he looks good in the Colts timing offense, but he wasn't what Manning primarily worked with all throughout training camp and in practices through the first part of the season.

The last time they played was against Cassel...and they didnt make any mention of the TE's...look for Crump, Gronk, and Hernandez to have a good game...this is where the creativity needs to come from:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Your words from the op:

Apparently, it looks as if the steelers think they have the Pats O figured out.

the word "think" in the OP makes all the difference in the interpretation and intended meaning. no point in arguing this anymore - we both want the same thing tonight - a W!

Last edited:
I think you should go back and reread the Colts references. The comments were relating to 'creativity' and saying the Colts arent creative but they are good. You have misunderstood.

Precisely my point. Our offensive approach is the opposite of the Colts, we change for each opponent. Therefore comparisons to the Colts are irrelevant.

It's his ability to adapt on a weekly basis that has made Belichick so successful.

The beauty of the Colts, and of Peyton Manning, the game's most studious quarterback, is that every opponent knows what they are going to do, and still can't conjure up an antidote. Spread the field with three wide receivers and one tailback, run the off-tackle stretch play, get the ball outside to Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne, or down the seam to Dallas Clark. It's a formula for success for Indianapolis, and a recipe for disaster for opponents.

No one, though, can make such blanket assumptions about the New England offense, or about how it will attack the Colts on Sunday night. Against the NFL's worst run defense, the easy assumption is that the Pats will abandon the throw-on-every-down approach used on Monday night, and will pound the ball right at the suspect Indianapolis front seven. But to assume even the most assumable things against the Patriots and Belichick is to wander into a well-set trap.

Because while Belichick's clothes may be Kmart, his game plans are definitely Neiman Marcus.

Belichick constantly adjusting Pats' game plan - NFL - ESPN

Precisely my point. Our offensive approach is the opposite of the Colts, we change for each opponent. Therefore comparisons to the Colts are irrelevant.

Belichick constantly adjusting Pats' game plan - NFL - ESPN

You can fill any team in for Colts, as far as I am concerned.
"Creativity" is a buzz word used by people who want to criticize and don't understand the game enough to find something concrete to criticize.

You can fill any team in for Colts, as far as I am concerned.
"Creativity" is a buzz word used by people who want to criticize and don't understand the game enough to find something concrete to criticize.

First it was important about the Colts, now it's any team. No problem.

First it was important about the Colts, now it's any team. No problem.

Why be an @ss? I'm not the one who brought the Colts up. You are the one misrepreseting what people who brought the Colts up said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back