PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Statement from Willie Mcginest

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
McGinest statement
Former Patriots linebacker Willie McGinest released the following statement through his agent on Friday:

"I would like to thank the New England fans, players, media and organization for all of their support during my time with the Patriots. The last 12 years of my life have been nothing short of spectacular, and there will always be a special place in my heart for the Patriots. That being said, I am extremely excited about starting a new chapter of my life in Cleveland. To all of you in the New England area who have laughed, cried and celebrated with me and the Patriots over the past 12 years, thank you. I will always cherish those memories, and I will miss you."

The statement was signed by McGinest, with his No. 55 next to the signature.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

We will miss you too Willie.

Edit: Sorry about the sad faced Smilie, but after reading this statement, it just brought home the fact that one of my favorite Patriots will no longer be here. I always hoped that Willie would retire a Patriot, it just didn't work out.

Last edited:
Classy statement by Willie. He'll always be a PAtriot to me, except if the Browns ever play the Patriots.

DefenseRules said:

Edit: Sorry about the sad faced Smilie, but after reading this statement, it just brought home the fact that one of my favorite Patriots will no longer be here. I always hoped that Willie would retire a Patriot, it just didn't work out.

There is still hope for you after all! Our man Otis returned here briefly just to be retired here!! Not quite the same but he still did retire as a Patriot :singing:

DefenseRules said:

I'm with you!

I am just extremely bitter at the fact that as I understand it, no attempt was made by the Pats to extend him. It would have been different if they tried like they did with Adam.

I always believed if the Cap didn't matter, he would easily retire a Patriot.

But the Pats had more cap space then ever and didn't even call him!

At this point I don't think they would have called him even if there was no cap!

I really appreciate what Kraft has done for this organization. But how can he truly call himself a fan and not want to vomit when he sees one of the greatest to ever put on a Pats uniform hold up a Browns Jersey?

I will get past this eventually, but right now I am seeing my team get dismantled before my eyes. And for no good reason!

I don't believe the Pats will do a thing for Seymour or Branch. We will watch them leave next season, or get in a bitter tag fight!

Last edited:
Nearly brought a tear to my eye. I'll miss him. I'll really really miss him. He was everything that a "Patriot" embodies. I wish the best of luck to him...except when he plays the Patriots.

sarge said:
I'm with you!

I am just extremely bitter at the fact that as I understand it, no attempt was made by the Pats to extend him. It would have been different if they tried like they did with Adam.

At this point I don't think they would have called him even if there was no cap!

Sarge - Unfortunately, that would be wrong. As was pointed out in a Fat Lenny Pasquarelli article, the Pats tried for weeks to come to an amenable conclusion on an extension for Willie. It just wasn't happening.

Also, you are incorrect in your understanding as to the contact the Pats had with Willie after he was cut. According to Felger, the Pats were talking with Willie all week. That is hardly not even calling him.

sarge said:
I really appreciate what Kraft has done for this organization. But how can he truly call himself a fan and not want to vomit when he sees one of the greatest to ever put on a Pats uniform hold up a Browns Jersey?

I will get past this eventually, but right now I am seeing my team get dismantled before my eyes. And for no good reason!

I don't believe the Pats will do a thing for Seymour or Branch. We will watch them leave next season, or get in a bitter tag fight!

Yea of little faith. And you are full of garbage about the team being dismantled before your eyes. Give me a friggin break, Chicken Little.

sarge said:
I'm with you!

I don't pretend to know what goes on behind closed doors. Did they or did they not call him? Depends on who you talk to is what determines the answer you get.

But I can't blame the Pats for not giving Willie $4mil/year. It's tough decisions like these that have helped the Pats win three Super Bowls. Does seeing Willie go suck? Yes it does. But everybody was saying the same thing after Milloy was released. "What the hell are they doing", "They're wrecking the team", etc.... But look at the end result.

Ho do you not know that the reason the Pats didn't sign Willie is because they are trying to work out extensions with Seymour and Branch. We just don't know yet.

p.s. How do you know Kraft didn't vomit? ;)

p.p.s. Good Luck Willie. Thank you for all the entertainment you provided to me throughout the years and thank you for everything you did for the Patriots organization.

Super class act.

I for one will always miss his very friendly attitude.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Super class act.

I for one will always miss his very friendly attitude.

Apparently quite the joker as well. I recall more than one occasion with him saying something funny on SB highlight films etc. More often than not with Phifer right by his side, laughing all the way. I bet he was very popular with his teammates. I'll miss him too. My son, who is 9, was bordering on tears when I told him the news. Well, maybe a little closer than "bordering".

It's a shame his last game in a Patriots uniform had to be that gawd awful game in Denver. He will be missed around these parts in many ways.

Can't wish him luck, but I'll gladly thank him for years of great football and helping to set the tone for what being a Patriot means. He will be sorely missed around my house.

One of the very first actual phrases my language-impaired son ever put together was "(L)ook, it's Big (W)illie!!", a phrase he learned from his older brother, which he would eventually come to scream (and slap the TV Screen) every time the camera showed #55. It was the first jersey number he learned after Brady. ...and he eventually got the "L" and "W" in there too. :D

The little ankle-biter just about broke my heart when I told him "Big Willie" wasn't a Patroit anymore and was going to be playing for the Browns. He got this real confused look on his face and said, "But Dad, we don't like the Browns."

Oh man, i will really miss Big Willie, he will allways be one of my favorite players...i will miss him...

CrazyDave said:
Apparently quite the joker as well. I recall more than one occasion with him saying something funny on SB highlight films etc. More often than not with Phifer right by his side, laughing all the way. I bet he was very popular with his teammates. I'll miss him too. My son, who is 9, was bordering on tears when I told him the news. Well, maybe a little closer than "bordering".

I haven't told my daughter yet. Believe it or not she got hysterical when hearing Matt Chatham was gone-she had met him at a charity softball game a couple of years ago, got the picture of them together in her room, the signed hat-she loved him. She is eight. When she hears Willie is gone, and I don't even want to think about what she'll do if AV leaves, and Troy Brown as well, it's going to be awful.

As hard as this is on us, I think it's really harder on the kids.

i will miss a lot # 55 Willie Mc Ginest.

he was one of my favourite players and i will never forget him

i liked him since the day we drafted.

i hope (why not) that he will be able to retire as a Patriot (i.e: like Otis Smith
in the recent past)

i wish him all the best - he was a force with us and i would have liked to find the way to sign him but it was impossible and the Browns overpayied him honestly.

but, again, thks Willie Mc Ginest ! you were and for me you will always be a
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOT !

grazie !!!

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Sarge - Unfortunately, that would be wrong. As was pointed out in a Fat Lenny Pasquarelli article, the Pats tried for weeks to come to an amenable conclusion on an extension for Willie. It just wasn't happening.

Also, you are incorrect in your understanding as to the contact the Pats had with Willie after he was cut. According to Felger, the Pats were talking with Willie all week. That is hardly not even calling him.

Yea of little faith. And you are full of garbage about the team being dismantled before your eyes. Give me a friggin break, Chicken Little.

Will you please think for yourself and stop being lead around like a dog on a leash. Dude you are pathetic. FYI there is NO proof that the PAts are trying to work out a long term deal for Seymour or Branch at this time. There is ony SPECULATION. So like it or not both Seymour and Branch could be gone next year and WE ARE watching the team get dimantled before our very eyes. It's just that you can't see the forest for the trees.

In Bill I trust, sometime

what a classy guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call