PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

State of the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The TNF @TB road win after painful home loss to CAR could turn out to be more than just a W in record column.

It was just a 3-day window, no real practice and despite some “ugly“ football, typical for TNF, it felt like Pats are back in the driving seat. It was not so much the stats, individual performances, “the comeback of the D“ etc. - for the first time this year it felt that these players are a team. Emotionally and mentally. And that's more important than performance on the night itself w regards to going forward.

In this ridiculously short window of “preparation“ the team seemed to have reaffirmed leadership and bonded. BB put it on Hightower and McCourty to bring the team together and they responded big time on and off the field. I bet he was a happy man on a return flight despite terrible night of Pats penalties..

Here some quotes:

BB:
"I thought that High and McCourty really gave us some great leadership defensively and our preparation and having the right attitude to go down and play in the game and what we needed to do. It was a short week. I thought they really stepped up from a leadership standpoint in that group and did a great job for us. I just wanted to recognize it because I think sometimes you just see it play out on the field. Obviously, they're very, very important but there's a lot of things that go into how it all comes together and I thought those two players defensively did a real good job for us this week."

MP:
“High and Dev right from the start just kind of said 'OK right after the game [we need to] step right into preparation for Tampa Bay and meetings, film, walk through.' They really just kind of took it and said 'we've got to cram this entire week of preparation here into just a couple days so let's start right now.' So that was the start of the week with them."

McCourty:
“Our backs were kind of against the wall. We had to come out and play well. You take adversity and it helps you bond as a team. We had to come together, stick together after a rough one on Sunday on a short week where we couldn't go out there and practice hard.. we had to talk to each other, communicate through walkthroughs and trust each other and come out and execute it..“
McCourty: Adversity helped us bond as a team

Slater:
“That was an important game for us (Thursday) night,” Slater said. “I think we showed a lot of mental and physical toughness. I’ve said my piece several times on what I feel about Thursday night games in regards to player safety and health. But I think what we did coming off a tough loss — an emotionally draining loss — to come back and refocus ourselves, get back on the horse and take care of our business, I think that said a lot about our football team.”
____

Great locker room vid:

Last edited:
i like it, def get what you're saying reading those commetns

That's nice and all but I'm not taking a lot from an ugly win. Were they better than they were against Carolina? Yes. But that's an extremely low bar to clear. Hopefully, they can get some stuff fixed in the 10 days they have off.

That's nice and all but I'm not taking a lot from an ugly win. Were they better than they were against Carolina? Yes. But that's an extremely low bar to clear. Hopefully, they can get some stuff fixed in the 10 days they have off.

That was the point. The win in the locker room brings more than the win on the field going forward. BB was uncharacteristically outspoken about it and that gives me more good feeling than any X's and O's.

Don't think they are at the “Not this team!” phase yet but good to see some hints in that direction. Keeping people who are full hungry is quite a challenge..

State of the Patriots... 3-2

Challenge for the offense: running game and short yardage/goal line in particular. They cannot go empty 50 times a game for 16 games. They need more balance and they need their health so enjoy the long weekend!

Challenge for the defense: stopping the running game. Chemistry. Up front without Valentine (IR) and Branch (out-of-shape/over the hill) they are vulnerable to a team that is dedicated to a power running game. The 2002 team was too and it wasn't until the team went out and traded for Ted Washington prior to 2003 that it got fixed. The defensive backfield has a chemistry problem and we may need addition by subtraction though I'm not in the locker room to know which guy has to go. If they had chemistry/cohesion then we wouldn't be talking about communication.

I think it was after the KC loss in 2014 in which BB said even though the team was getting killed and had no chance of winning, they still competed hard and showed to him what they were made of.

I think this team has flaws and personnel issues that may be roadbocks to a SB but it's clear to me they are fighters and not quitters. I'll always root for, and never give up on a team like that.

Fix the line, fix the D, get some guys healthy, maybe add some talent at the trade deadline and they are in position for #6.

That's all you can ask for

Last edited:
Great post. And I loved the locker room vid.

I made the point about "happy BB" in his post-game presser (not even biting reporters' heads off when they ask about play calls).

Sometimes, though, I wonder if he might not go about seeking out adversity (blowing up a Super Bowl winning team) quite so much and just let it come to him. But what do I know? ;)

Challenge for the offense: running game and short yardage/goal line in particular. They cannot go empty 50 times a game for 16 games. They need more balance and they need their health so enjoy the long weekend!

Pats Pass/Run ratio on the season is 64/36 and that's in 3 games that were shootouts.

A ratio like that with Brady is really a 50/50 ratio given that he is the greatest QB.

Last edited:
I think you're definitely picking up on something here. I'm starting to think there was a bit of a Super Bowl hangover (I mean, it was the greatest comeback of all time), but the Carolina defensive debacle embarrassed them, and BB was able to use that embarrassment to start to make his players "hungry" again. Hard to translate that into a big improvement in 3 days, but there was definite improvement. They built needed camaraderie and chemistry on Thursday with the win coming together like that on the short week, and I expect that it'll start a very positive upward trend for the team. They're by no means perfect, but they certainly do have the talent to go 9-2 the rest of the way and win the division and maybe even a top seed.

I think you're definitely picking up on something here. I'm starting to think there was a bit of a Super Bowl hangover (I mean, it was the greatest comeback of all time), but the Carolina defensive debacle embarrassed them, and BB was able to use that embarrassment to start to make his players "hungry" again. Hard to translate that into a big improvement in 3 days, but there was definite improvement. They built needed camaraderie and chemistry on Thursday with the win coming together like that on the short week, and I expect that it'll start a very positive upward trend for the team. They're by no means perfect, but they certainly do have the talent to go 9-2 the rest of the way and win the division and maybe even after top seed.
I agree with you about the SB hangover. During the off season when I'd hear or read about the possibility of that happening, I dismissed it. I think I was wrong. Hopefully, they're on their way out of it.

That was the point. The win in the locker room brings more than the win on the field going forward. BB was uncharacteristically outspoken about it and that gives me more good feeling than any X's and O's.

Don't think they are at the “Not this team!” phase yet but good to see some hints in that direction. Keeping people who are full hungry is quite a challenge..

It absolutely was a pivotal game since they haven't been playing well. A loss would have really been tough to come back from. Ugly win and 10 days off gives them something to build on and things to work on.

They are in process on both sides of the ball, but that doesn't mean much this time of year. Many teams look perfect now and peter out at the end. Plenty to work on, but I think they have enough talent.

Three aspects of the team that were predicted to be huge strengths prior to the season have become weaknesses, due to (plug in your favorite reasons here): interior DL play against the run, defensive backfield coordination against the pass, and the depth and experience-with-Brady of the pass receivers. Those three reversals have been at the heart of this slide.

Fix two of them and the team can win 11 games. Fix all three and it can win a SB (still less than 50/50, but it can win).

If the Pats are interested in signing Butler long-term, now would be a good time to do it. Show this unit that they're together for years to come and let them find their places.

There is no dominant team in the NFL right now. KC looks really good, but they're so top-heavy that one or two injuries destroys them. Raiders, Broncos, Pittsburgh...meh all have glaring weaknesses.

In the NFC, who's the beast team?
Dallas? Nope.
Seattle? Nope.
Atlanta? Maybe, but Jones has a hip - watch that - and they haven't looked all that great.
Green Bay? Really not seeing it.

The Pats need Branch to come back to form, or get a fatty replacement plugged in there. I'd also like to see an Akeem Ayers/Lamar Houston type to come in and bolster the end of the line, which is too thin.

They need the secondary to come together (and they will).

Offensively, they need to make that OL right, clearly. I have faith in that, but not sure Solder's gonna hold up. Of course, I like Waddle more than most here and think he would do okay, if needed.

They need to get Dorsett some throws to make sure the depth is there if someone else goes down (be nice to see Mitchell come back, but I'm not holding my breath on that).

They need to get Allen/Hollister more involved.

"Need" is too strong a word for any of this. I'm looking at the NFL right now and I think they can beat anyone simply by cleaning up the big mental lapses in the secondary.

What I’d call this Patriots team right now:
  • An elite to historic passing offense with an average run game & inconsistent tackle play.
Potential improvements midseason: Solder and/or Cannon improve their play, Dion Lewis is used more and/or Malcolm Mitchell makes an impact off IR.
  • A flawed defense with weaknesses at DT & LB along with an inconsistent pass rush. However, the talent in the secondary will limit offenses in man coverage if communication doesn’t lead to break downs.
Potential improvements midseason: Branch returns to form, Wise improves & earns more playing time, Rowe’s play rebounds & Gilmofe becomes a more consistent player.

Two underwhelming players that can make the biggest impact on a turnaround: Solder & Branch. If we could somehow get their 2016 level of play it’d do wonders on both sides of the ball.

Team trajectory: 12-4 & similar to 2011/2012 Patriots. The 2011 team was a drop & a Gronk injury from a lombardi & the 2012 team was a Talib in game injury away from a SB trip. Anything can happen.

The team no doubt has the highest ceiling of any team in the NFL. Just depends how close they can reach it by playoff time.

I don't think any of us are necessarily thrilled with the team's overall execution yet. There is a long way to go and a lot more improvement needed.

But it WAS a major win in my opinion due to the circumstances. Our defense was playing pathetic and we were in serious danger of dropping to 2-3. We shouldn't downplay the short week. That's barely a few days to try to stop the downward spiral and stabilize the situation for one game at least.

It was a tough game and they gutted it out. We need this team to show fight and mental toughness. They did just that on Thursday night. So I'm encouraged in that aspect. Long season ahead.

...Fix the line, fix the D, get some guys healthy, maybe add some talent at the trade deadline and they are in position for #6.

That's all you can ask for.
That's actually quite a lot to ask for.

Three aspects of the team that were predicted to be huge strengths prior to the season have become weaknesses, due to (plug in your favorite reasons here): interior DL play against the run, defensive backfield coordination against the pass, and the depth and experience-with-Brady of the pass receivers. Those three reversals have been at the heart of this slide.

Fix two of them and the team can win 11 games. Fix all three and it can win a SB (still less than 50/50, but it can win).
What about fixing the OL?

State of the Patriots... 3-2

Challenge for the defense: stopping the running game. Chemistry. Up front without Valentine (IR) and Branch (out-of-shape/over the hill) they are vulnerable to a team that is dedicated to a power running game. The 2002 team was too and it wasn't until the team went out and traded for Ted Washington prior to 2003 that it got fixed. The defensive backfield has a chemistry problem and we may need addition by subtraction though I'm not in the locker room to know which guy has to go. If they had chemistry/cohesion then we wouldn't be talking about communication.
Going empty actually often helps the pass blocking.
It puts all 5 receivers immediately into the pattern and creates much more opportunity to get a quick open quick throw.

What about fixing the OL?

I think they are playing about as expected. Not to say it can't be improved, but they generally weren't expected to be a strength of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes