PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sports Illustrated Layoffs

The times, they are a changin...

it was inevitable when it was sold off the Maven (now known as Arena) years ago...

The quality of SI was unrivaled... none of its competitors could hold a candle to to depth and complexity of its stories and investigations... when it was sold off, it was hollowed out... though they kept a few "name brand" writers, all the really good ones had left... it functioned more like Bleacher Report than Sports Illustrated...

Guess Arena pulled the licensing for the name from the current group working under that Banner...

I guess the closest thing out there is The Athletic...

Last edited:
When I was in Jr. High and High School it was big deal when the new issue came out every month. The school even kept issues in the library for us to sign out and read. I have the SB 36 issue in a protected magazine case from 2002. This kind of memorabilia will disappear with the world going digital with everything. Now instead of game tickets we have bar codes. Instead of magazines we have YouTube. It's not the same.

Attachments

• 20240119_164335.jpg
    20240119_164335.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
i mean most of the **** on their website was written by AI. Sports illustrated had been getting trashier and trashier so it wont be missed.

This cover didn’t help
View attachment 56034
that's better than the dude they put on the cover a few years back...that's a dude IDGAF how much surgery you get....

*As a transgender woman, Petras has become an icon in the LGBTQ+ community. She opened up to SI Swim about the “pressure” she feels to represent the trans community at times."

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/05/15/kim-petras-featured-2023-si-swimsuit-cover-model

seriously, who at SI thought it was a good idea and would serve their audience to put a trans on the cover of the swimsuit cover? that's nothing but trying to score SJW points...and it backfired bigly

Screenshot_20240119-180632.png

Last edited:
Back in the day, all this former Mass-hole needed was the Boston Sunday Globe sports section, my weekly SI, and 3 minutes each weeknight night of Bob Lobel on WBZ TV 6 o'clock news.

When I was in Jr. High and High School it was big deal when the new issue came out every month. The school even kept issues in the library for us to sign out and read. I have the SB 36 issue in a protected magazine case from 2002. This kind of memorabilia will disappear with the world going digital with everything. Now instead of game tickets we have bar codes. Instead of magazines we have YouTube. It's not the same.

I may have gotten more pleasure from sports pre-internet, when the Sunday Globe section had long pieces by good writers on each of the sports, and each of the local teams. The anticipation and enjoyment of that couple of hours each week, and then relying on evening news sports reports to stay up to date, was probably more net-net enjoyment than what we have now.

I dunno, print media is just dying. I remember when ESPN the magazine tried to become a thing. I remember looking forward to Patriots Football Weekly. Our local newspaper is is a third smaller in size and only has half the content. Lots of newstand magazines have disappeared. SI started to die long before insecure alarmists worry all day about woke, social warriors or trans invasions. Yet SI announces layoffs and some people can't wait to vice signal

Ironically enough, the article is behind a paywall.

I've been saddened by recent generations' objection to paywalls. The only alternative is advertising, and our brains are so saturated with imagery at this point that there's little left of what a natural human urges are. The recent research on ultraprocessed foods and appetite hunger disruption are just the latest: we can't even feel hunger anymore and trust it, given the degree of our brain chemistry being engineered by marketing and addictive substances in foods.

I'd rather just pay the journalists directly, through paywalls, than pay for further brain invasion.

I've been saddened by recent generations' objection to paywalls. The only alternative is advertising, and our brains are so saturated with imagery at this point that there's little left of what a natural human urges are. The recent research on ultraprocessed foods and appetite hunger disruption are just the latest: we can't even feel hunger anymore and trust it, given the degree of our brain chemistry being engineered by marketing and addictive substances in foods.

I'd rather just pay the journalists directly, through paywalls, than pay for further brain invasion.
Here you go….

IMG_3388.jpeg

Just so I’m straight on this, SI died because of processed foods and not because of their woke BS and Dudes and fat chicks in the swimsuit issue.

Print media is dying, has been for years.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back