PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Special Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously, GOST has replaced Vinitieri, but that is not the point here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think that we have improved the return units and the return coverage units? In what way? Who are the leaders?

bb had indicated in the off-season that this was a concern, after mediocre performance last year, and after losing Chatham and Stone. Of course, we also lost Dwight, Davis and Bethel Johnson as returners. This year we've lost Guss Scott, Mitchell, Pass and now Tebucky to injuries. We still have Gardner and Andrews as additions. Is that enough?

How do you all think we stand?

Last edited by a moderator:
im a lil worried bout the special teams
btw, when did gus scott get hurt, and whats the injury (extent too)?

I think the coverage teams were kind of CRAPPY last year and look slightly better through 3 pre-season games.

mgteich said:
Do you think that we have improved the return units and the return coverage units? In what way? Who are the leaders?

bb had indicated in the off-season that this was a concern, after mediocre performance last year, and after losing Chatham and Stone. Of course, we also lost Dwight, Davis and Bethel Johnson as returners. This year we've lost Guss Scott, Mitchell, Pass and now Tebucky to injuries. We still have Gardner and Andrews as additions. Is that enough?

A couple things I would be fascinated to have some insight into.

What is Belichick's tradeoff valuation between a kickoff that goes into the end zone versus a longer hang time ? A corollary to that would be whether in preseason he is asking Gostkowski to kick shorter so as to be able to get a chance to evaluate kick coverage better ? Those questions will probably be answered when we get to the regular season and see what Gostkowski does.

The second question is, what is Belichick's tradeoff valuation between a higher odds of tackling a returner inside the 30 yard line versus trying to stop him inside the 20 but with a higher risk of a long return ?

At the moment, my perception (no tape review or stats to add any credibility) is that they are averaging kick returners getting to the 25 yard line. Geeesh. I just went ahead and checked the Washington game and they averaged return run yardage average of 20.7. That would have put the Patriots in the top 5 best compared to last year in terms of limiting kickoff returns.

Washington's average return was to the 25.17 yard line. The best last year (Atlanta) average yardage allowed was to the 25.8, so that would have made Pats number one in limiting opponents kickoff starting position.

That was a great question. And it looks like the answer for one game is that the kickoff coverage is top notch. And the first half was better than the second half. Won't that be interesting to see how that develops in the regular season.

I don't have the time right now to look at how the Pats did in their own kick and punt return yardage. Maybe somebody can.

I think the return aspect is more of a question than the coverage aspect on this team.

mgteich said:

What about the other draft picks? Mills, definitely was picked at least in part for ST contribution, but I think that Maroney, Thomas and even Jackson will be expected to help.

I like the Andrews kid. Very agressive on returns and coverage. I've seen his name near the ball almost every coverage play this PS.

I think the Pats will flesh out the receivers through the cuts. The offense lookes tuned up even without a solid receiver corps. Field position will be improved and will take a lot of pressure off the Ghost.

mgteich said:

Mitchell looks to be the only serious injury.

Tebucky, Guss, and Pass will all be back at one point or another.

To me, it was hard to tell just who was down there, but I thought the coverage showed some improvement, especially in containment. On more than one occasion I saw 4-5 guys who had beat their blocks and were keeping a disciplined "umbrella", funnelling the returner into the traffic in the center of the field.

Really like Maroney returning, just hope we don't have to use him too often.

Last edited:
Mike the Brit said:
What about the other draft picks? Mills, definitely was picked at least in part for ST contribution, but I think that Maroney, Thomas and even Jackson will be expected to help.
UDFA's Woods, Roach, and Cobbs haven't looked to badly on coverage teams. Spann has done okay as a speed/containment player. Andrews has been the best gunner in preseason. Chad Scott is decent in coverage and a great gunner blocker. Poteat has been used as a gunner and in coverage units with one tackle I can recall. Izzo, Davis, and Alexander are always around the action. Brit has been used as a blocker on kickoffs, something Neal still does. Geno and Sanders are good on coverage units. Etc. Etc. Etc. as they say in Siam.

I think Seely has the seeds necessary for Special Teams' success this season, we'll just have to wat and see who survives cut down and how they are lined up against Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News