Welcome to PatsFans.com

Somewhat OT: Brees' contract may have been extended

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Miguel, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +584 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

His salary numbers on the NFLPA site now include the years 2012 and 2013. His
    2006 contract was widely reported to be a six-year deal. Last year NOLA.Com said in their salary cap breakdown
    New Orleans Saints' 2009 salary cap breakdown | Jeff Duncan on Saints - NOLA.com
    that Brees was signed through the 2011 season. I know that he restructured his contract last September converting some salary into a signing bonus.But I doubt that they extended the contract then.

I am hoping that a member of the media reads this and then is able to confirm/deny it.

2. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +502 / 43 / -48

#50 Jersey

Miguel- If I remember correctly, teams can not do more than onerestructuring to a contract in a given year. In other words, if they moved money forward through guarantees, they'd have to wait a full calendar year if they were to change it again by adding additional years.

I believe this is what happened to the Seymour contract a few years ago..

Could you confirm this?

3. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,373 / 25 / -7

I can't see a Drew Brees extension going under the radar. If he extended his contract, he would be the highest paid QB in the league right now. I don't know how that would be snuck in without the media knowing about it. Besides, the Saints would want to make a huge announcement that their franchise QB has been extended since it will help with merchandise sales, advertising, and ticket sales (although I think all their home games are sold out). It's gotta be an error by the NFLPA. If a player the status of Drew Brees gets a contract extension, it is the lead story on Sportscenter and the team wants it no other way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.