PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some nice highlights of our Florida boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the 'Bama highlights, even when he was tied up, he still managed to force the play inside, but the rest of the gators D had over-pursued. I think the most noticeable thing was Ingram's speed. Good Lord that kid is fast.

Looking at Hernandez for a moment, he puts a sweet move on Mark Barron against Bama the first time and then beats him deep on the outside the second time (nice pass from Tebow by the way.

Ouch, those Bearcat highlights make for painful viewing if you're a fan of them. Hernandez *****-slapped them all game long. The Linebackers couldn't put a hand on him.

I was really impressed with both Spikes and Hernandez. They both look like monsters out there.

Spikes has amazing instincts.

I am now officially excited and ready for football.

Let's all just remember that these are basically highlight videos. If you see 10 plays form the Alabama game, it means there are about 50 plays that you didn't see. So while I'm all for watching these videos and getting excited, we should just remember to put these videos in context.

A few thoughts:
1) Jermaine Cunningham (can we call him Jerry?) has one ability that I think will help our pass rush. He can speed rush from the outside and then change direction and come back to pressure or sack a QB that has stepped up in the pocket. Lots of edge rushers are draft busts because they can't do that.
2) Brandon Spikes will go through anyone between him and the football. Even his own teammates! He'll push them right out of the way if they're being blocked.
3) Aaron Hernandez looks like a huge WR out there. At the 1:30 mark he is running toward the sideline, catches the ball and made one cut straight toward the endzone that cought like three Cinci defenders flatfooted. Just a smooth looking change of direction without a loss of speed or balance.

Let's all just remember that these are basically highlight videos. If you see 10 plays form the Alabama game, it means there are about 50 plays that you didn't see. So while I'm all for watching these videos and getting excited, we should just remember to put these videos in context.

Actually, they're not. Pro Draft Party regularly puts out videos of both highlights and lowlights. They select particular plays from a game that shows the player both missing and making certain kinds of plays, so you get a feel for their strengths and weaknesses in the run and pass game. None of them do everything right in the videos, but there's a heck of a lot to get excited about, too.

Such as Spikes/Mayo. :singing:

Gator fan here and saw all of these, but I really really like Spikes leg drive when engaged, and his ability to stay low and shed the block. His pursuit angles, as many have said, show great instincts and is how how he is quick to the ball without having great speed. He has a good burst. though. I'm not worried at all about the 40 times. That's a 10-year NFL linebacker there.

Last edited:
Nice videos.....

Spikes was fine.....a few times in coverage he got his guy right after the first down marker.....he looked like a true Patriot already there.....I hope that isn't the specific that BB was looking for j/k

I was much happier to see the vids on Cunningham and Hernandez.......I feel much better on Richie's pick now after seeing he had some nice speed coming from the outside....

Hernandez is going to be a monster. If we don't throw to our TE's this year with him and Gronk then you have got to wonder about our offensive schemes. Tom has got some legit TE's to throw to....let's hope we don't see him forcing it to Moss or Edelman/Welker/Holt this year.

Hernandez is rediculous. With him, Gronk, and Crumpler, the Pats are stacked. His highlights were the most impressive to me.

Spikes looked very good, and seemed to have diagnosed the plays before they happened. There was a couple times where lack of speed was apparent. Hopefully they can work on it.

Those of us who know what we're talking about are not looking at results, but at technique, instinct, and the other consistent predictors of future behavior. Results are always going to change, but behavior doesn't.

Hernandez is rediculous. With him, Gronk, and Crumpler, the Pats are stacked. His highlights were the most impressive to me.

Spikes looked very good, and seemed to have diagnosed the plays before they happened. There were a couple times where lack of speed was apparent. Hopefully they can work on it.

I agree. And yes "lack of speed was apparent" in the pursue. Let's say he's
not going pursue and catch some quick players if they get a jump on him.
It is a weakness in his game that may be exploited at times.
But he brings a whole lot more than just that.

Sweet Jesus........ Those Spikes vids were awesome. Sheds great, is patient, lets the garbage sort out in front of him and BAM, attacks the ball. Very Nice.

Amazingly, I think I'm more impressed with the Hernandez vids.... He could really be special...... That, and we have Gronk too. What the hell did we sign Crumpler for. :singing:

I love the play at 0:13 in the 08 Spikes video where he correctly points out the misdirection before the snap. The other 2 LBs get fooled while Spikes is already on his way to the ballcarrier. So awesome. :D

I remember that South Carolina game. Cunningham was CONSTANTLY in the backfield. The Spikes videos only back up everything I said about him in my thread last week.

Those of us who know what we're talking about are not looking at results, but at technique, instinct, and the other consistent predictors of future behavior. Results are always going to change, but behavior doesn't.

Actually, those of you who know what you're talking about should also know that consistency in technique is probably the single most important factor in a player being consistently productive. So seeing good pass-rush technique on 15 plays over a period of 3 games, for example, doesn't mean the player uses the same good technique on every single play. Just saying.

Actually, those of you who know what you're talking about should also know that consistency in technique is probably the single most important factor in a player being consistently productive. So seeing good pass-rush technique on 15 plays over a period of 3 games, for example, doesn't mean the player uses the same good technique on every single play. Just saying.

I don't mean any offense, but you sound like you've made up your mind and aren't willing to entertain differing ideas. I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, but when several well-respected posters who know what they're talking about are all in agreement on one side, and you're waving flags of caution on the other, it just comes off as a little disingenuous. :confused2:

Cunningham doesn't have many pass rush moves, but he seems consistent. I can't wait to see what he can do at OLB.

Spikes just doesn't miss a tackle. A few plays the QB was able to run away from him and I'd be concerned about him in coverage, but 1v1 Spikes is going to win every time.

Hernandez looks like a big WR out there. Soft hands and he can make people miss after the catch (of course the entire clip was a highlight reel). I didn't see much in the way of blocking though. Could be something to work on.

Well some of those clips do show broken defense plays, e.g., the Arkansas game.

It is understandable he will not always succeed, due to the complex nature of the game, and mitigating factors. But when you strive to consistently use proper technique, do your homework on tendencies, you increase your chances of making an impact or at the very least, affecting the nature of the play. You look for those things as well.

Although I have to say that there are things that cannot be taught, such as ball instinct, having a nose for where the hole is going to open, seeing the play before it happens. Spikes is demonstrating that he has all those inherent traits.

Last edited:
Cunningham doesn't have many pass rush moves, but he seems consistent. I can't wait to see what he can do at OLB.

Spikes just doesn't miss a tackle. A few plays the QB was able to run away from him and I'd be concerned about him in coverage, but 1v1 Spikes is going to win every time.

Hernandez looks like a big WR out there. Soft hands and he can make people miss after the catch (of course the entire clip was a highlight reel). I didn't see much in the way of blocking though. Could be something to work on.

Cunningham looks like he is so quick that he hasn't needed to develop a host of intricate pass rush moves. As a NFL DE he might be limited but at OLB, he seems custom built for this team. Kind of a Willie McGinest type (with even more speed making up for slightly less size). The way he recovers is awesome, whether being cut blocked, or overpursuing a play, or running around a tackle, he can still bounce back and get to the play quickly. He clearly switched to OLB in several plays that I have seen on various highlight films, which may confuse some into thinking he was loafing on those plays. Far from it, he did a good job at OLB as well on those plays, but dropped back instead of rushing the passer, or stood at the LOS to make the tackle if a run play developed. You could see Spikes being subbed as the pass rush on some of those plays. Smart teamwork.

Spikes reminded me of Ray Lewis from the moment I saw him on film but just in mannerisms mainly, and picking off the ball. Watching Spikes play at the LOS does not really remind me of Ray...I like the way Spikes sheds blocks with his shoulder and keeps both hands free to make the tackle.

Hernandez and Gronk. And that other guy that made Vick look good. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes