PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some nice highlights of our Florida boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean any offense, but you sound like you've made up your mind and aren't willing to entertain differing ideas. I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, but when several well-respected posters who know what they're talking about are all in agreement on one side, and you're waving flags of caution on the other, it just comes off as a little disingenuous. :confused2:

I haven't made up my mind at all. I'm very optimistic about these 3 guys as well as the rest of the draft class. Very optimistic. As a matter of fact, Hernandez was the 1 TE I really wanted us to draft, but I didn't think we would due to the fact that he's under 6'3" and has some "character" issues. But I'm extremely glad we got him. With Cunningham, I looked at some tape of his - similar to the one that's posted here - and concluded that he was a better fit as a 43 DE than a 34 OLB (that may have also been after I saw his 4.9 40 time). Obviously I defer to BB's evaluation as far superior to mine and I hope Cunningham succeeds. I think his success will be directly linked to the success of this draft as a whole due to this team's short and long term issues at OLB.

4 years ago, when Maroney was drafted, someone posted a video of him on this board and it was amazing! Perhaps you remember it - it was to Michael Buble's "feeling good". People were drooling over the video and then it came out that Shanahan predicted Maroney would become one of the best RBs in the NFL (if not the best). I wanted to post a link back to the video, but it's been removed from youtube for copyright violations. That is when I learned the hard way not to get overly excited about a college kid's highlight reel. I realize these videos are not just purely highlights, and I like watching them as much as the next guy. I'm just being a voice of reason here in the midst of proclamations that Hernandez is an all-pro and Spikes is ROY.

Clips would be much better if you could tell where each player was lined up before the snap. Watching Hernandez's clips are tough cause you don't know where he is until he catches the ball.....

Would be better if there was a cursor on him (like most highlight videos)

4 years ago, when Maroney was drafted, someone posted a video of him on this board and it was amazing! Perhaps you remember it - it was to Michael Buble's "feeling good". People were drooling over the video and then it came out that Shanahan predicted Maroney would become one of the best RBs in the NFL (if not the best). I wanted to post a link back to the video, but it's been removed from youtube for copyright violations. That is when I learned the hard way not to get overly excited about a college kid's highlight reel. I realize these videos are not just purely highlights, and I like watching them as much as the next guy. I'm just being a voice of reason here in the midst of proclamations that Hernandez is an all-pro and Spikes is DROY.

No argument with this. I have gotten excited over busts before, but have had my share of hits, which makes this fun for me.

Sorry to dissapoint you all, Spikes is tremendously overrated. Watch Spikes in the 09 SEC Championship. He got jocked the whole game.

dare I say?..........AH has some "welkerish" moves..

......Maxi-Me?:rocker:

Hernandez' playing style is entirely different than Wes Welker. He is more reminiscent of Antonio Gates.

Sorry to dissapoint you all, Spikes is tremendously overrated. Watch Spikes in the 09 SEC Championship. He got jocked the whole game.
Wasn't he playing injured?

Wasn't he playing injured?

Not that I'm aware of. He has a good deal of raw talent, but what makes him overrated in my opinion is his lack of drive and his thuggish antics. My opinion of him has never recovered form the eye gouging incident of early November.

Last edited:

1 bad game out of 47 games? We're doooooooooomed.

Not that I'm aware of. He has a good deal of raw talent, but what makes him overrated in my opinion is his lack of drive and his thuggish antics. My opinion of him has never recovered form the eye gouging incident of early November.

Did you know Meyer wanted to bench him one half of a game, but he insisted on sitting out the entire game to punish himself further?

AHern is a hybrid TE/WR, reminds me of Vincent Jackson. The guy is a nightmare to cover for db's or lb's. I watched a ton of Gator games, he made Tebow look better than he was. Spikes is always around the ball. These guys are going to be great. Not good. Great! JC is a bit of a mystery to me. We'll see.

****!

I hope you realise that you've let the whole franchise down by not bringing this to Belichicks attention.

If only our HC was the type to spend a little more time on small detail like a Championship game, and a little less on bold proclamations of how good we are....

I take it you didn't want Vince Wilfork resigned, then. Just so we are clear in how ridiculous it is to judge a player based on a single on-field incident.

Spoken like a true Vol. It's going kill you to see Spikes and Mayo playing side by side for the next eight years, isn't it? ;)

I take it you didn't want Vince Wilfork resigned, then. Just so we are clear in how ridiculous it is to judge a player based on a single on-field incident.

He's a Vols fan.

Spoken like a true Vol. It's going kill you to see Spikes and Mayo playing side by side for the next eight years, isn't it? ;)

LOL! I didn't realize that irony!

4 years ago, when Maroney was drafted, someone posted a video of him on this board and it was amazing! Perhaps you remember it - it was to Michael Buble's "feeling good". People were drooling over the video and then it came out that Shanahan predicted Maroney would become one of the best RBs in the NFL (if not the best). I wanted to post a link back to the video, but it's been removed from youtube for copyright violations. That is when I learned the hard way not to get overly excited about a college kid's highlight reel. I realize these videos are not just purely highlights, and I like watching them as much as the next guy. I'm just being a voice of reason here in the midst of proclamations that Hernandez is an all-pro and Spikes is ROY.

I think most posters here are fully prepared to deal with the reality if some of these guys turn out to be busts. But after the relative dissappointments of the last few years, with losing Brady for a while and the flat performance last year in the playoffs, it kind of feels good to have something to look forward to.

I will say that overall this draft feels like the 2003 draft where we replenished the team for a while.

Originally Posted by TennesseePatriot

There are multiple people out there who were close to the people involved and the theory behind the "eye gouging" is... Spikes had his helmet ripped off on one play and was poked in the eye. Then Ealey spit in Spikes face. When Spikes tackled Ealey on the next play he wiped it off and tried to smear it back on Ealey's face.

I'm not saying that it's justified but how would you react? Maybe there is more to it than what you saw on video? If it was that terrible then why did Ealey say the following:

Ealey says he doesn’t agree with those who have said the suspension was not stiff enough.

“That really didn’t matter to me,” Ealey said of the suspension. “That’s their decision. He shouldn’t, I think, get suspended at all. We were just out there playing football.”

Ealey said he had his eyes closed when Spikes stuck his hand in his helmet and he wasn’t hurt.

“He really didn’t gouge my eyes,” Ealey said. “He really didn’t get a chance to get close to my eyes.”
FLORIDA LB SUSPENDED HALF A GAME FOR EYE GOUGING

Last edited:
I think most posters here are fully prepared to deal with the reality if some of these guys turn out to be busts. But after the relative dissappointments of the last few years, with losing Brady for a while and the flat performance last year in the playoffs, it kind of feels good to have something to look forward to.

I will say that overall this draft feels like the 2003 draft where we replenished the team for a while.

I completely agree. The top half of the draft is promising. I'm quite pleased with the Deaderick pick. And from what BB said, it sounds like Larsen and Welch had significantly higher grades that the Busseys and Oldenburgs of the past. Expectations are real high. I'm just trying to be temperate here amidst a thread that seems overly euphoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back