PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So is Greg Bedard already the best Pats analyst we've had?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of pure football analysis, there's Bruschi and then there's everyone else. Point blank.

Is he writing somewhere? I've seen him do spots on the tube, but nothing written.

I think that he is an excellent sports reporter, and would likely do as well in any other part of the paper.

I will say that I thought that Breer was better with the X-O reporting, the he (Breer) broke down game tape better than anyone else outside of a coach/player that I've ever read. What Breer could do (the occasional gratuitous snark aside) is to take a play and describe it clearly and succinctly so that anyone could understand exactly what was supposed to happen, and where any success or failure was in the play as run.

Having said that, I don't read the Globe except for the occasional sports article, and usually only when linked to it from this site. I can't stand that rag, but that's just me and other's mileage will certainly vary.

I'll make an exception for Bedard, though, having read a couple of his articles.

To be fair, if I was a beat reporter, the last NFL team I would choose to cover would be the Patriots. As a beat reporter you are suppose to dig up all the little nuggets that the Patriots staff and players are never going to give you. It must be very difficult to come up with 3 or 4 blog or article worthy bits of information when dealing with the Pats.

The Jets would be the easiest team to cover followed by anything to do with James Harrison's thoughts.

The problem is that all Globe reporters seem to believe that there struggles with their jobs are news and of great interest to their readers.

To be fair, if I was a beat reporter, the last NFL team I would choose to cover would be the Patriots. As a beat reporter you are suppose to dig up all the little nuggets that the Patriots staff and players are never going to give you. It must be very difficult to come up with 3 or 4 blog or article worthy bits of information when dealing with the Pats.

The Jets would be the easiest team to cover followed by anything to do with James Harrison's thoughts.

I can see that. Especially if you or your editor want "features" from the team, or titillating and provocative quotes. But if you're a football person and appreciate and understand the game, I would think watching Belichick work — and analyzing and explaining what he does — would be pretty satisfying.

The problem is that all Globe reporters seem to believe that there struggles with their jobs are news and of great interest to their readers.

Which makes his return here kind of comical in a way since as his stay in GB wound down he was butting heads with McCarthy over his tight lipped style too - and after he left in mid season they went on to win it all... So maybe the lesson to be learned is organizational style sometimes plays a role in creating a winning blueprint and it's really not a HC's job to weigh in the balance making the local media's job easy so that's not something they should take personal. If he wins he elevates your profile. Look what Bill has done here for sports multi media... Be greatful for small blessings...;)

I can see that. Especially if you or your editor want "features" from the team, or titillating and provocative quotes. But if you're a football person and appreciate and understand the game, I would think watching Belichick work — and analyzing and explaining what he does — would be pretty satisfying.

Not in today's cutthroat sports multi media market. For too many covering this team in the present is just a means to an end, a much more lucrative gig (you even then have to claw to hang on to). Occasionally guys land them the old fashioned way, as Reiss did. But that is the exception to the rule nowadays.

I totally agree, and was surprised at the slam on the Globe in the OP. It seems to me the Globe has delivered a strong series of Pats beat reporters in Reiss, Breer and Bedard.

Anyway...yes, that was a terrific camp write-up! (Maybe all our whining for details paid off? ;) Thanks, Greg!)

You can't give the Globe credit for Breer since he actually started at a Herald affiliate..Same with Reiss.. And SMY came from the PROJO..

Last edited:
When was the last time the Patriots got burnt by a TE? I can't remember.

Dustin Keller last year... 7 for 115 yards and 1 TD..

I don't particularly care for Bedard's "insight". In fact, most would say Bedard hit's the blatantly obvious stuff and misses some of the more subtle intricacies.
I agree, but I do like the fact that like Reiss, he is at least making an attempt to REPORT rather than editorialize. The media these days are too often self promoters. Its all about THEM, not what they covering.

In some respects I understand it. It used to be reporters and columnists and each had specific tasks. Nowadays all these guys are all over the place. Your read their copy on the internet, as well has see/hear them on TV and Radio. The competition for those TV and radio slots is great. Its why we sometimes see the kind of off the wall stuff that aggravates the hell out most of us. They aren't going to get called to do TV and radio, unless they bring in other more "entertaining" aspects to the table than just the FACTS. Its the only reason to explain Borges being asked.

For example the Merriweather story. A week after the story broke MONTHS ago, it was reported that the police ruled out Merriweather as a possible shooter. Then when the final report is made public, the media hypes it as actual new NEWS. Anyone not familiar with the story could very reasonably think that Merriweather WAS considered a suspect in a shooing for months and was just cleared. For the last 3 days, its still at the top of the list of stories at ESPN Boston.

Maybe I'm just being an old cranky guy again. But I long for the days when the News was News. A day before networks allowed the their Entertainment departments to take over the news divisions. A day when the broadcast news was viewed as a public service and not a profit center. Edward R Morrow and Walter Cronkite are weeping in their graves. And I apologize for this OT rant.

Last edited:
Title of the thread kind of ruined the good article. Lot of good football info there to talk about, yet here we are discussing the mediots instead?

Glad to see Gronkowski can't be covered. He is just a freak and may end up being the best TE in football sooner rather than later.

Myron Pryor is a player that interests me. Guy finally gets off the pup and is doing well in the 1 on 1's. That is a player I'll be watching all week leading up to Tampa. Guy was starting to show promise last year and seems he is ready to continue where he left off.

Seems we may have gotten a nice steal in Anderson. Thus far he has shown he may end up being TBC's replacement and then some. Bill Belichick knows football.

I've read Andre Carter looks good in practice and may have solidifed a spot on the team but see no specifics to back it up. Anyone watched him in practice?

I agree, but I do like the fact that like Reiss, he is at least making an attempt to REPORT rather than editorialize. The media these days are too often self promoters. Its all about THEM, not what they covering.

In some respects I understand it. It used to be reporters and columnists and each had specific tasks. Nowadays all these guys are all over the place. Your read their copy on the internet, as well has see/hear them on TV and Radio. The competition for those TV and radio slots is great. Its why we sometimes see the kind of off the wall stuff that aggravates the hell out most of us. They aren't going to get called to do TV and radio, unless they bring in other more "entertaining" aspects to the table than just the FACTS. Its the only reason to explain Borges being asked.

For example the Merriweather story. A week after the story broke MONTHS ago, it was reported that the police ruled out Merriweather as a possible shooter. Then when the final report is made public, the media hypes it as actual new NEWS. Anyone not familiar with the story could very reasonably think that Merriweather WAS considered a suspect in a shooing for months and was just cleared. For the last 3 days, its still at the top of the list of stories at ESPN Boston.

Maybe I'm just being an old cranky guy again. But I long for the days when the News was News. A day before networks allowed the their Entertainment departments to take over the news divisions. A day when the broadcast news was viewed as a public service and not a profit center. Edward R Morrow and Walter Cronkite are weeping in their graves. And I apologize for this OT rant.
I was also 100% thrilled with the way Reiss handled the whole Meriweather thing. The polar opposite of Rapoport, IMO, who will say something for the sake of not being silent.

I have no idea what Bedard reported on that matter, if anything. But, if you're not reading Bedard's camp reports for some reason, I would encourage you to do so. They are by far the most factually based of any of the popular sources.

Title of the thread kind of ruined the good article. Lot of good football info there to talk about, yet here we are discussing the mediots instead?

The title of the thread was about a single guy, not the whole lot of them. The article had been out for quite a while prior to my linking it, and had been linked by this site already. It was old news, by the standards of this board, and I was reflecting on the quality of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back