PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So I was just checking the Bills forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Kyle Williams is. Just because you don't want to admit it doesn't mean it's not true. BTW, I put Wilfork and Ngata as #1 and #2 at DT. Williams is 4/5.

Not going to touch the other points, since they've already been beaten into the ground (essentially, I agree with Andy), but I'm kinda curious on this one. I agree that Ngata is #1 at DT and Wilfork is #2, but apparently you think that only 3 or 4 of following are better than Kyle Willliams:

Haloti Ngata
Vince Wilfork
Richard Seymour
Kevin Williams
Ndamukong Suh
BJ Raji
Darnell Dockett
Jay Ratliff

Which of those players do you have Williams rated above? He's good, but he's not better than any of them.

Last edited:
I'm honestly trying not to start crap, but just for the record.. in 2009 and 2010 Kyle Williams did outplay Vince Wilfork in pretty much every aspect. In 2011 kyle was out some games, so nobody knows what what could of happened. Check NFL Stats: Player if you don't believe me.

I'm honestly trying not to start crap, but just for the record.. in 2009 and 2010 Kyle Williams did outplay Vince Wilfork in pretty much every aspect. In 2011 kyle was out some games, so nobody knows what what could of happened. Check NFL Stats: Player if you don't believe me.
Kyle Williams was a Pro Bowler in 2009 & 2010. You can make an argument that he outplayed most of the AFC tackles in those seasons if you are going to reference statistics alone. There's also the fact that he's a very good player and is in for a monster season in 2012 given the supposed switch back to the 4-3 in Billsville.

You should note that Vince Wifork was also a Pro Bowler in 2009 & 2010.

Last edited:
Don't misunderstand me, that was in no way a slight toward Vince...it was more in reference to the poster that claimed that there are so many better then Kyle Williams when in fact there is not many at this point. Statistics are really all we have to go by.

So now we're making fun of others for being excited about their team's moves? Aren't we? Seriously, what they're doing is no different from what we're doing. We've been spoiled by the continued excellence of the Pats. Nobody stays a bottom feeder forever.

You must've missed the jets threads,huh?

For all the gnashing of teeth about the passing game as the issue for the Patriots not winning a SB lately, it was the passing game that beat the Rams in the two minute drill, and it was the passing game that tore up the Panthers in the second half of that Super Bowl. In the 2007 game, the passing game was slowed by an O-line/TE/QB group all beset by injuries, yet the offense put the defense in position where a stop would have won the game. In 2011, the difference between a win and a loss is Welker holding onto the ball or dropping it, despite the fact that the Patriots defense was getting marched against all game long. It's been a fine line in 4 of the 5 BB-era Super Bowls, and it's fallen 50/50.

And, for that matter, while we're at it, if the Patriots special teams unit had bothered to show up in Green Bay, that might have been another (pre-BB) SB win, damn it!

I don't disagree with you but a little. Howard was just on another plain that year and one could argue that there was little the ST unit could do. He was carving everyone up that year, but I absolutely see your points.

Apparently Brady's career is in danger this year.

Dareus will be unblockable in a 4-3. Super Mario is such a stud that the Texans crumbled without him, Kyle Williams will also benefit from the 4-3 and our very own Mark Anderson is the second coming of Bruce Smith. They are basically the Buffalo Giants with their pass rush.

Thoughts? Do we average over or under 35 against them this year? I know it was 40 per game last year but I'm trying to be a little more realistic.

The "Buffalo Giants" is only speculation by the usual fantasy football fans that are pipe-dreaming.

Let's see how their new defense stacks against our OFFENSIVE UNIT.

AFCE has always been competitive-especially when the Indy Colts were in it!
It should be competitive again....some great teams that should be right there w/ us.

is Bernard Pollard playing for the Bills?

I live an hour from Buffalo they do this EVERY SINGLE YEAR check back in November(or most of the time earlier).

Kyle Williams has never outplayed Vince Wilfork, and almost certainly never will. He's not even close to Wilfork's level, and that's not even an insult to him, as he is a very good football player.

Put on a recording of the game and see how both of them, respectively, dictate what the offense is able to do. Vince absolutely requires 2 blockers, and even then he still routinely gets a ton of push and either collapses the pocket or forces the runner to cut/bounce in the backfield. His ability to collapse the pocket is a large part of the reason why someone like Mark Anderson can come to NE and get more sacks in one year here than he did in the previous four combined (pretty good player, but the Bills will soon realize that paying him to be a 10-sack guy was a mistake, just like the Patriots realized the same with Tully Banta-Cain a couple of years ago). It doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but that's exactly what you're looking for from your NT.

Did you watch the AFCCG? Wilfork won us that game. Nobody's saying that Kyle Williams isn't a good DT--he clearly is--but he can't do that, and he isn't one of the top 5 in the league. Not when there are physical freaks like Ngata/Wilfork/Seymour/Suh/Raji who can impose themselves on an offense and wreck a gameplan almost singlehandedly.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a head-scratcher. I was pointing out that the Bills have a good chance to win a lot of games. That's what counts as "trash talk" now? :confused:

In general, though, it cracks me up when division opponents attack the Patriots for having "the weakest schedule in the league." Don't they get that they're actually dissing their OWN teams? Take the Bills and Patriots off of each others' schedules and compare again.

Not to mention the fact that because NE and Buffalo are in the same division, 12 of the 14 games they play (excluding the 2 head to head) are against common opponents. Differences are AFC North (Bills-Browns, Pats-Ravens) and AFC West (Bills-KC, Pats-Broncos). Both play other AFC East teams, AFC South and NFC West.

I live an hour from Buffalo they do this EVERY SINGLE YEAR check back in November(or most of the time earlier).

They're just looking for relevance and respect I guess. They won't get it from me until they win a playoff game. Baby steps

If I were a Bills fan, with so little to cheer about for so long, I'd be psyched for this season too. Let 'em dream. :)

I agree - and let's be honest - the new OL needs to play well - especially if we want to fully utilize our TEs as receivers and not blockers.

But Buffalo's always had my respect as a football town and I don't blame them for being as excited as Eagles fans were last season.

Last edited:
For all the gnashing of teeth about the passing game as the issue for the Patriots not winning a SB lately, it was the passing game that beat the Rams in the two minute drill, and it was the passing game that tore up the Panthers in the second half of that Super Bowl. In the 2007 game, the passing game was slowed by an O-line/TE/QB group all beset by injuries, yet the offense put the defense in position where a stop would have won the game. In 2011, the difference between a win and a loss is Welker holding onto the ball or dropping it, despite the fact that the Patriots defense was getting marched against all game long. It's been a fine line in 4 of the 5 BB-era Super Bowls, and it's fallen 50/50.

And, for that matter, while we're at it, if the Patriots special teams unit had bothered to show up in Green Bay, that might have been another (pre-BB) SB win, damn it!

It's such a fine line...

The MovieWavs Page - This Is Spinal Tap: fineline.wav

The Bills fans should be excited about their team. The last two times they beat us, they won both times!

;)

There is a difference between 'pass happy' and exploiting advantages that you have. There are very few teams that can stop even seriously limit the Patriots pass offense. When you add in the position versatility and alignment mismatches, we can often trap the defense into matchups they don't want to be in.
I will agree that we have a tendancy to overlook what might be a bigger mismatch in the running game (blocking really, when the d goes small) but our offense is absolutely not a force the pass offense, it is an offense that forces mismatches and no one has really figured out how to avoid being in a mismatch vs our passing game.
Frankly if you look closely virtually the only way we are stopped on offense is:
-A blown pass blocking assignment, on 3rd down, because we often recover from a 1st down sack to convert
-A poorly executed route/throw on 3rd down. We almost never have no one open or a totally failed play, it is normally just a missed connection or a tipped or dropped ball.
-Failed running 3rd down conversions
-The rare turnover

A pass happy team throws no matter what it faces. A very successful well thought out pass offense creates mismatches to play to their strengths and exploit them.

Furthermore, "pass happing" teams are actually winning Super Bowls.

What recent Super Bowl winners were rewarded with a Lombardi based on three yards and a cloud of dust?

Apparently Brady's career is in danger this year.

Can you please clarify which Bills forum, exactly, you garnished these gems from?

A link would be most useful in helping the current audience guage how to interpret the comments you posted. If you are trolling buffalobills.com boards, well then I guess that says more about you than the posters you are quoting, now doesn't it?

Thx. :)

Dareus will be unblockable in a 4-3. Super Mario is such a stud that the Texans crumbled without him, Kyle Williams will also benefit from the 4-3 and our very own Mark Anderson is the second coming of Bruce Smith.

The board I frequent feels quite the opposite. Most of the seasoned Bills fans on that board are simply taking a wait and see approach. We have been burned too many times. In fact, while many of us do feel that someone will be unblockable in the 4-3 (read: Dareus or KW), we are still waiting to see it on the field. Nothing more.

Additionally, I'm calling you out here and now about Bills fans comparing Mark Anderson to Bruce Smith. I challenge you to link a single post on any reputable Bills forum where any poster who has seen both guys play makes such a comparison as you claim. Bruce Smith? Really dude? I'll be waiting.

Thoughts? Do we average over or under 35 against them this year? I know it was 40 per game last year but i'm trying to be a little more realistic.

You average under 35 vs Buffalo this year. JMO.

If I grew up in the Buffalo area I would certainly be looking for a better season than in the past. They seem to be yearly also-rans. I would be encouraged that their defense should be better. Toss a coin to decide who has a better chance to supplant the Pats at the top of the division: Heads = Bills - Tails = Jest!!

Can you please clarify which Bills forum, exactly, you garnished these gems from?

A link would be most useful in helping the current audience guage how to interpret the comments you posted. If you are trolling buffalobills.com boards, well then I guess that says more about you than the posters you are quoting, now doesn't it?

Thx. :)

The board I frequent feels quite the opposite. Most of the seasoned Bills fans on that board are simply taking a wait and see approach. We have been burned too many times. In fact, while many of us do feel that someone will be unblockable in the 4-3 (read: Dareus or KW), we are still waiting to see it on the field. Nothing more.

Additionally, I'm calling you out here and now about Bills fans comparing Mark Anderson to Bruce Smith. I challenge you to link a single post on any reputable Bills forum where any poster who has seen both guys play makes such a comparison as you claim. Bruce Smith? Really dude? I'll be waiting.

You average under 35 vs Buffalo this year. JMO.

QUOTE : "Prices are significantly higher than previously. Sent to my buddies and one replied, Because everyone wants to see the game Tom Brady's career ends!.

Should I be excited by this? HA HA HA HA...."

Then there is the usual spygate,new brady rule, knocked out of the game,ny giants and etc + a ****** with a brady breaking his knee avatar.

Mark Anderson bit was a joke on my part - i guess sarcasm is hard to detect over the internet but it was merely based on this unstoppable pass rush your fans seem to be expecting.(nvm that you were like near last in sacks last year)

So i wondered why not get the opinion of our posters regarding the new bills. And no i'm not posting over at that forum...i was just checking on bills news and i usually visit forums for it.

Last edited:
Now that his burst and explosion are back Merriman believes he’s the best all-around player that he has ever been.

“I’m a much smarter player and much more technical now,” he said. ”I know a lot more about the game. When you don’t have those physical tools the last three years and being able to blow by a guy or great pass rush ability you start to learn more about the game and you get a little bit more technically sound. And that’s what happened. Now my body is ready to take that on again along with the knowledge I’ve picked up over the last few years. It’s going to be good.”

Inside The Bills | Lesson learned for Merriman

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft