PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, BB traded Tebucky for C.Dillon/TBC? What other moves has BB made (if tracked)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: So, BB traded Tebucky for C.Dillon/TBC? What other moves has BB made (if tracked)

As for Matthews for Gronk, Butler, Edelman, Tate....

1. Matthews was being painted with the peds brush well before before the draft - making him potentially a large problem for whichever team drafted him.

2. According to what I remember, a player in that draft class BB brought in was said to be very argumentative and unable to take blame for a blown assignment he was shown on tape. That player was supposed to have been Matthews.

3. Prior to this year, Mathews did not seem to suit the Pats defensive schemes

4. BB looked at what he could do, and made the move - IBWT.

Re: So, BB traded Tebucky for C.Dillon/TBC? What other moves has BB made (if tracked)

Belichick seems to be the only GM with the patience to make moves that aim to improve the team over the course of multiple seasons rather than just the upcoming season or two. This is due to his enviable job security and just plain monk-like patience. This makes his draft value chart different than everyone else's, more weighted to the future than the here and now. Because he knows he'll be around in the future, and many other GMs can't say the same.

As far as I can tell, his insight seems to be the realization that anyone is capable of blowing a draft pick, no matter how "can't miss" the prospect. Even the best player could get a career ending or hampering injury unexpectedly. Getting multiple shots to get it right lets the Pats shrug off even high round busts, like Butler unfortunately seems to be becoming. Instead of getting one player who has a 90% chance of success, he gets three players who each have maybe a 60-80% chance of the same.

Trading down so often makes the times that he traded up particularly interesting, in that it identify players that seemed to have unique skills that would be hard to get in other ways, so much so that he'd forego some of that future value accumulation. Sometimes it worked as well as you'd want, like trading up for Wilfork or Mankins, and sometimes not, like trading up for Watson.

If someone invented a brand new sport and invited GMs from all different sports to manage teams, I'd be hard pressed to think of someone other than Belichick to pick the groceries.

Sometimes it worked as well as you'd want, like trading up for Wilfork or Mankins, and sometimes not, like trading up for Watson.

If someone invented a brand new sport and invited GMs from all different sports to manage teams, I'd be hard pressed to think of someone other than Belichick to pick the groceries.

I thought Mankins was taken with the 32nd pick in the first round, our earned pick. Many in the media thought Mankins was a reach to be taken in the 1st round. Shows how much they know.

Clay Matthews for Brandon Meriweather

Greg Jennings and Chad Jackson

As for Matthews for Gronk, Butler, Edelman, Tate....

1. Matthews was being painted with the peds brush well before before the draft - making him potentially a large problem for whichever team drafted him.

2. According to what I remember, a player in that draft class BB brought in was said to be very argumentative and unable to take blame for a blown assignment he was shown on tape. That player was supposed to have been Matthews.

3. Prior to this year, Mathews did not seem to suit the Pats defensive schemes

4. BB looked at what he could do, and made the move - IBWT.

I have/had no problem at all with bypassing Matthews, for the reasons you gave.
I ass-umed that he was just a blown-up (artificially?) Safety better-suited as a 4-3 WLB.

As for bypassing Connor Barwin for Brace...

I thought Mankins was taken with the 32nd pick in the first round, our earned pick. Many in the media thought Mankins was a reach to be taken in the 1st round. Shows how much they know.

You're right; Mankins was selected with our own 32nd, as was Watson.

Last edited:

Clay Matthews for Brandon Meriweather

Nope, different years. As mentioned above, it was Butler, Tate, Edelman & Gronkowski with the pick that could have been Matthews.

(Another result of the wheeling-dealing approach: the Patriots make almost twice as many high-round picks as the average team. So even though they pick very well, sheer volume makes it inevitable that they have more misses than average -- meaning there will always be ammunition for criticism.)

Last edited:

I don't remember the exact details but the Patriots could have had Clay Matthews and Greg Jennings but opted to trade out/pick other players. Nobody said Belichick always gets it right but he usually does. This is just an example of when it didn't work out. Flame away, ladies and gentlemen. :scared:

I swear we can't have a thread related to the draft without Clay Matthews and Greg Jennings...

Look, if you prefer a pass-rushing demon over a phenomenal TE in Gronk, Butler, Tate, and Edelman, that's understandable. I disagree, but I understand your position.

But please everyone stop yammering on and on about the Jennings deal. It ignores so much reality about the circumstances of that day. We didn't trade Jennings away so much as we whiffed on Jackson.

First of all, WE TRADED UP. We could have had Jennings. We didn't trade down and let a superior player slip through our fingers. We jumped up to get the 2nd-best WR on the draft board, a move most fans loved at the time, and a move most fans want us to do more during the draft.

As for the Packers, they liked Jennings, but even they didn't know how good he would be. If they did, they wouldn't have drafted Daryn Colledge 5 picks before Jennings. Think about it. Colledge went 47 to the Pack. Their division rival, Minnesota, had a need at WR and had picks 48 and 51 before Jennings was drafted at 52 by Green Bay. If they really knew what they were getting, do you think they would have been willing to risk losing him over Daryn Colledge???

They were fortunate that Jennings lasted, and they were lucky he turned out as well as he did. Just as we were extremely fortunate that Tom Brady lasted so long, and no one, not even us, knew how good he would be. That's the way the draft goes.

Go on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the Matthews deal, since that will go on forever. But please stop bringing up the Jennings deal. It's stupid, it's ridiculous, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

Man, hindsight is so great.

It's so easy to say "i told you so" after you know the end result. Clay Matthews could have been a bust and Tate the next Randy Moss or Jerry Rice at the time of the draft. I'd take Gronk over Clay Matthews any day of the week however, and I have a feeling that after this season many people will forget about the idea of a stud pass rushing LB when we get pressure with 4man fronts and create absolute havoc by sending a 5th.

I can't wait for the regular season to start.

Last edited:

For instance, did you know that David Thomas + Laurence Maroney turned into Deion Branch?

3rd round highly regarded TE and 1st round RB (2nd RB overall) = 31 year old Deion Branch?

I'd leave this one off the BB's Canton profile.

It's tricky to evaluate any given Belichick trade, because the "spoils" tend to be divvied up, re-traded and traded again. For instance, did you know that David Thomas + Laurence Maroney turned into Deion Branch?

(jmt57, I understand that you were just looking at the final links in the chain. but in the end it was Drew Bledsoe, not Haynes, who turned into Ty Warren!)

Yeah. And did you know that Roseanne Barr had sex with a cheeseburger from Five Guys that turned into Rex Ryan? :eek:

Last edited:

One I remember was when we passed on Jamaal Charles. We traded that 3rd rd pick for a 5th(Slater)and a future 2nd(Brace)....then we picked KOC and Crable later in the same round.....Brilliant!:bricks:

One I remember was when we passed on Jamaal Charles. We traded that 3rd rd pick for a 5th(Slater)and a future 2nd(Brace)....then we picked KOC and Crable later in the same round.....Brilliant!:bricks:

Charles has turned into a great player and I wish we had him.

But KC is pretty fortunate to have him as well. Let's not act as if they had great insights into what he'd become. Pretty much every team in the league passed on him multiple times, including KC. In fact, they should have drafted Charles over either of their 1st rounders, Glenn Dorsey or Branden Albert.

Yes, kudos to them for lucking out on a 3rd-round back turning into a star. But let's not get carried away here. They were fortunate to have Charles fall to the 3rd round as well. With Kevin Smith and Jacob Hester being taken several picks before Charles, it's clear they could have lost him to several other teams that wanted a RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back