PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, BB traded Tebucky for C.Dillon/TBC? What other moves has BB made (if tracked)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockt327

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I find this fascinating. Cause it kinda shows just how longterm BB can be when he makes a move.

Bill Belichick, in a round about way, essentially traded Tebucky Jones for Corey Dillion and Tully Banta Cain. Wow. So, what else has BB done if you track the move (which was actually a bit difficult)?

But yeah, I was reading the Pats Fans article about Tebucky which links to a USA Today story revealing the details of Tebucky's trade to the Saints: The Patriots will get a third- and seventh-round pick this year and a fourth-rounder in the 2004 draft. So, looking up the '03 draft, I see we traded away the acquired 3rd rd pick to Miami for a 2004 2nd rounder. That's what we used to acquire Corey Dillion.

2003 7th = Tully Banta Cain
2004 2nd = traded to CIN for Corey Dillion.
2004 4th = Dexter Reid

What!?!?

So, how hasn't this epic steal made it into the commonly cited Belichick-lore? More importantly, what other big moves have we not paid total attention to?

Re: So, BB traded Tebucky for C.Dillon/TBC? What other moves has BB made (if tracked)

I'm sure there are a number of examples like this. It is what separates this organization and front office from the rest of the league.

Last edited:
Re: So, BB traded Tebucky for C.Dillon/TBC? What other moves has BB made (if tracked)

I wrote this two years ago so it doesn't include transactions from the last couple of years, but it helps follow similar trails of other trades the Pats have made during the Belichick era:

Pats Draft Pick Trades during Belichick era - New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

Here are some of the end results of various trades, most of which I had completely forgotten about:

• Pats traded Greg Randall for Dan Koppen
  • Pats traded Wade Smith for Corey Dillon
  • Pats traded Terry Glenn for Jarvis Green and Asante Samuel
  • Pats traded Dominic Raiola and Jason Glenn for Matt Light
  • Pats traded Bennie Joppru and Seth Wand for Eugene Wilson and Dan Klecko
  • Pats traded Kyle Boller for Vince Wilfork and more
  • Pats traded Michael Haynes and Marques Ogden for Ty Warren
  • Pats traded Isaac Sopoaga for Ted Washington
  • Pats traded Madieu Williams for Corey Dillon
  • Pats traded Anttaj Hawthorne for Matt Cassel and Ryan O'Callaghan
  • Pats traded Samson Satele and Abraham Wright for Wes Welker
  • Pats traded John Bowie for Randy Moss

Just a little something worth keeping in your back pocket for whenever the annual bashing of Belichick occurs for trading a draft pick.

You could sit back and study these scenarios for hours. It's the beauty of sports, what pick becomes a player and so on.

It's tricky to evaluate any given Belichick trade, because the "spoils" tend to be divvied up, re-traded and traded again. For instance, did you know that David Thomas + Laurence Maroney turned into Deion Branch?

(jmt57, I understand that you were just looking at the final links in the chain. but in the end it was Drew Bledsoe, not Haynes, who turned into Ty Warren!)

How about Joe Staley for Jerod Mayo and Randy Moss? Unless I'm reading wrong, Pats traded #28 in '07 (Staley) for an '08 first rounder (became Mayo) AND the fourth that they then traded for Moss. Guess you can count Bowie (Oak, #110) in the package; still seemed to work out OK.

Patriots' 2007 draft picks - Boston.com

Trade details - Reiss' Pieces

How about Joe Staley for Jerod Mayo and Randy Moss? Unless I'm reading wrong, Pats traded #28 in '07 (Staley) for an '08 first rounder (became Mayo) AND the fourth that they then traded for Moss. Guess you can count Bowie (Oak, #110) in the package; still seemed to work out OK.

Patriots' 2007 draft picks - Boston.com

Trade details - Reiss' Pieces

Make that Staley for Mayo, Moss...and Shawn Crable. ;)

Make that Staley for Mayo, Moss...and Shawn Crable. ;)

Well, didn't want to pile on ...:)

I wrote this two years ago so it doesn't include transactions from the last couple of years, but it helps follow similar trails of other trades the Pats have made during the Belichick era:

Pats Draft Pick Trades during Belichick era - New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

Here are some of the end results of various trades, most of which I had completely forgotten about:

• Pats traded Greg Randall for Dan Koppen
  • Pats traded Wade Smith for Corey Dillon
  • Pats traded Terry Glenn for Jarvis Green and Asante Samuel
  • Pats traded Dominic Raiola and Jason Glenn for Matt Light
  • Pats traded Bennie Joppru and Seth Wand for Eugene Wilson and Dan Klecko
  • Pats traded Kyle Boller for Vince Wilfork and more
  • Pats traded Michael Haynes and Marques Ogden for Ty Warren
  • Pats traded Isaac Sopoaga for Ted Washington
  • Pats traded Madieu Williams for Corey Dillon
  • Pats traded Anttaj Hawthorne for Matt Cassel and Ryan O'Callaghan
  • Pats traded Samson Satele and Abraham Wright for Wes Welker
  • Pats traded John Bowie for Randy Moss

Just a little something worth keeping in your back pocket for whenever the annual bashing of Belichick occurs for trading a draft pick.

good digging inspector gadget damn good info you compiled :cool:

inspector gadget cartoon intro theme - YouTube

the pick for Cassle created what player? we got a 2

did I miss that on the list?
I saw the scenario in how we got Cassel, but what player did he make?:confused:

I believe it was Chung, not positive though.

I don't remember the exact details but the Patriots could have had Clay Matthews and Greg Jennings but opted to trade out/pick other players. Nobody said Belichick always gets it right but he usually does. This is just an example of when it didn't work out. Flame away, ladies and gentlemen. :scared:

Yes, the pick obtained in the Matt Cassel trade was used to draft Patrick Chung.

Having that pick also gave the Pats more freedom with their own pick, which if I recall correctly essentially became Gronkowski, Butler, Edelman and Tate - although the debate still rages on that it should have instead been used on Clay Matthews.

I don't remember the exact details but the Patriots could have had Clay Matthews and Greg Jennings but opted to trade out/pick other players. Nobody said Belichick always gets it right but he usually does. This is just an example of when it didn't work out. Flame away, ladies and gentlemen. :scared:

Well sure! Nobody's saying Belichick has drafted every good player available, or hit on every pick. This thread isn't really about talent evaluation, it's about wheeling and dealing. And in that arena, BB absolutely stands alone.

You know how the Pats routinely make draft day trades that transfer value into a future year, getting an extra pick and/or a round jump in the process? If you look leaguewide, it turns out that kind of "manufacturing" of draft ammo is essentially unheard of. BB has done it 5 times in the past three years; the other 31 teams combined have done it twice.

And to link back to your Clay Matthews example: yes, the Patriots passed on him. But at least the wheeling-and-dealing approach spreads out risk, so they did realize solid value from their pick (4 players including Rob Gronkowski). IMO the folks who REALLY "missed" on Matthews were teams like Buffalo and Denver which blew their high picks on a single pass-rushing dud like Maybin or Ayers.

Last edited:

Well sure! Nobody's saying Belichick has drafted every good player available, or hit on every pick. This thread isn't really about talent evaluation, it's about wheeling and dealing. And in that arena, BB absolutely stands alone.

You know how the Pats routinely make draft day trades that transfer value into a future year, getting an extra pick and/or a round jump in the process? If you look leaguewide, it turns out that kind of "manufacturing" of draft ammo is essentially unheard of. BB has done it 5 times in the past three years; the other 31 teams combined have done it twice.

And to link back to your Clay Matthews example: yes, the Patriots passed on him. But at least the wheeling-and-dealing approach spreads out risk, so they did realize solid value from their pick (4 players including Rob Gronkowski). IMO the folks who REALLY "missed" on Matthews were teams like Buffalo and Denver which blew their high picks on a single pass-rushing dud like Maybin or Ayers.

Indeed, BB is truly a genius at "wheeling and dealing". It is a role at which few GMs -- especially Coaches who double as GM excel. Trading on draft day or at TC or in-season is an art. Of course, many GMs engage in it because they are need (desperation) driven not out of some cold calculation of strategic value (which requires both a sound assessment of your own team's strengths/needs and an evaluation of the available players skills and importantly role and fit in their team (and scheme). No one -- but no one -- does this better than BB. No one has done it better CONSISTENTLY and for a longer period of time than BB.

We know organizations that have spectacular flameouts (Jerry Jones trade for Roy Williams and Minnesota's trade for Moss). Others who are half-way decent: Reid with the Eagles though I am not sure he has final say on trades and Tannenbaum who has bought wisely the last few years including fleecing his old partner Man-genius in the trade that got the Jets the 5th pick three years ago that became Sanchize.

I should add that BB's value-added in his role as GM is so high, not to mention his on-filed generalship, that BB is undoubtedly the most underpaid GM/coach in the NFL. He is literally worth two or three times the pay of (Best GM in NFL + Best Coach in the NFL).

Because I am sure he is not being paid by this formula, it is clear that Kraft has the better end of the value in this equation.

I should add that BB's value-added in his role as GM is so high, not to mention his on-filed generalship, that BB is undoubtedly the most underpaid GM/coach in the NFL. He is literally worth two or three times the pay of (Best GM in NFL + Best Coach in the NFL).

Because I am sure he is not being paid by this formula, it is clear that Kraft has the better end of the value in this equation.

So you're saying Kraft is cheap, right? ;)

BTW, one interesting thing to come out of the decoupling of Belichick & Pioli was the discovery that the manic draft day maneuvering is all BB. In the past two drafts, the Chiefs have made a total of ONE trade down or into the future. The Patriots have made...umm...sorry, it's taking me a while to count....

Last edited:

For those of us who are both Bruins & Patriots fans, nothing beats the Trade That Keeps On Giving:
Barry Pederson to Vancouver for Cam Neely + their 1987 1st-round draft pick.

Correct, Cassel + Vrabel became Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back