PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Snap counts per Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is particularly noteworthy because, while the Jaguars appear to generally suck as usual, their passing game is actually pretty decent. Between the Steelers (minus Bell and Bryant) and Jags, the Pats have faced two passing offenses that, while not elite, are certainly above league average.

Buffalo is a top 10 offense in terms of PPG so far as well.

Yeah, Cannon definitely had a few really bad plays, but I think some perspective is useful here. If your backup swing tackle struggles 1 on 1 vs. Greg Hardy, that's really not the end of the world. The fact that our starting LT was significantly worse than that is far more alarming.

What gets me about Solder is that he struggles against both high end speed and high end power.

Though it has only been 4 games, we rank 11th in passing yards allowed/game and 9th in opponent QB rating. This defense will only get better, but there's no question that it is already vastly superior to the 2011 and 2012 defense. It might even be on the same level as last year's.

Ya and I know this is cherry picking homerism but take out those final garbage time drives by the steelers, jaguars and cowboys and Pats have given up 172 pass yards a game and 15.5 points a game. Which both would be good for #2 in the league.

And could even be better if they played for a full 60 in buffalo.

Yup, I think Cannon was definitely somewhat overpaid, but I think Belichick will willing to pay that prive to avoid being caught unprepared in the event that a Solder extension didn't get worked out (and as leverage for Solder negotiations), as well as depth against the injury histories that you mentioned. At this point, the big question for me is how Cameron Fleming fits into the picture. I expected to see his role grow a little this year, and initially thought he was going to take over Cannon's role when Cannon left in free agency this past offseason. Not so sure what his future here is now that Belichick's paid up to keep Cannon and Solder and settled on a Cannon/Solder/Vollmer rotation, plus Mason seems to be the guy they call on when bringing in a sixth lineman. Looks like Fleming is pure depth at this point.

I wouldn't call him depth even until he's on the 53. I know we could call him up at any time, but still.

interested to see what they do with Bostic. I guess a lot depends on Hightower's injury

I'm sure this is in part rose colored glasses, however, it sure looks like the Patriots are deeper than anytime I can remember going back quite a few years.
On the OL, LBs, DL, WR -- we appear to have a lot of high class problems. And given the nature of football and games missed to injuries, these kind of high class problems are what make for a solid SB run.

Side note: Dobson in his third year is behind a guy who has been on the team only a few weeks and had 5 catches all of last season?? You can go ahead chalk it up to this week's scheme all you want. IMHO this indicates Dobson's position is about as safe as a dozen donuts at an over-eaters convention....

I really like the D line rotation(interior and tackle) seems as though we have more depth and versatility than we have had in the past.. the swiss army knife defense, will give opposing offensive coordinators shyt fits..

Maybe it is from my view from the couch, but seems we are rotating more guys more of the time.. does the competition committee know about this??

This is from Jeff Howe on Twitter..

Dback stats

CRIZMznU8AE7Mrf.png

QB pressure stats..

CRIZUDEU8AE7omw.png

Last edited:
Cannon was signed as the backup to two OT's with injury histories. In addition, it seems that Vollmer benefits from getting a breather during the game. In addition, Solder was coin into his last year. Cannon was insurance in case Solder didn't agree to an extension.

I think that Belichick is fine with Cannon's contract. He is a backup to the 2nd most difficult position on the team (LT). And, unlike the backup to the most important position, Cannon plays in every game, keeping the other OT's fresh.

And yeah, just BTW, Cannon played better than Solder yesterday.

I agree that I think BB is fine with Cannon's contract, he gave it to him and I think he has lived up to it. And as you point out he backs up two positions ...I didn't point that out to attempt to simplify my post, I sometime suffer from "Post Threadmatic Stress Syndrome" a disease that makes me write posts that are too long or too complicated that nobody reads. ;)

I've seen other posters speculate that Cannon will be a cut next year, and this seems unlikely to me. Who on the roster would replace him? We have lots of promising talent on the OL but it is all inside.

Ya and I know this is cherry picking homerism but take out those final garbage time drives by the steelers, jaguars and cowboys and Pats have given up 172 pass yards a game and 15.5 points a game. Which both would be good for #2 in the league.

And could even be better if they played for a full 60 in buffalo.

I was going to say the same thing. Yesterday, the Pats let the Cowboys walk down the field...taking almost 9 minutes off the clock to end the 3rd quarter.

The only stat BB cares about if the final score, and so they go into that defensive time-waste shell every game, it seems. Makes me crazy as a fan, but those final scores...that win-loss record...those Lombardis!

I guess I'll just have to suffer through it.

We've watched this defense get smoked by crap QBs in the past so I'm not gonna get upset they have only dominated against "bad" ones since that's no given.

Really, who are the great QBs? Roethlisburger didn't do great, I guess you can put a few others in there but outside of Rodgers the Pats have faced QBs as good as any others they could see.

"Prevent defense" is supposed to prevent quick scores that allow a team to get back in the game. It allows long slow drives that burn clock because the game essentially becomes unwinnable without time.

The Dal last drive is what prevent defense should do (even if they score at the end).

The Buf game is an example of the opposite of what it should do. They allowed Buf into the game with quick scores. What we saw in Buf was just bad defense in the 4th.

So you can write off some late scores as an example of scheme, but not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST