PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY/Globe: Brady approved Moss deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
There was a good article this morning by SMY reviewing the whole etiology of the Moss trade. One small point in the article, one that received no emphasis by the author, but which stood out to me, was the Brady approved the deal ahead of time:

"Tom Brady, comfortable with Wes Welker and a young corps of receivers that includes Brandon Tate, Julian Edelman, Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski, gave the deal his thumbs-up. The deal was completed Wednesday morning."

That is very significant to me because it mean the man whose view of the field matters the most because he is the one who gets the balls to the receivers, thought this was a good move. That despite the steadfast public support and praise he has bestowed upon his former teammate since he first arrived in New England.

Buildup to the breaking point - The Boston Globe

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Brady Approved Moss Deal

I'm not saying sports reporters just fabricate claims to fill up column-inches, but how does one learn that Brady gave the deal "thumbs-up"?

One would have to learn such a fact from one of the principals in the deal.

From Belichick? LOL.

From Brady?

From the Krafts?

All implausible sources, IMHO.

One can make the assumption that Brady approved, but to turn around and present an assumption as a fact is a breach of journalistic ethics, IMO.

Last edited:

Yeah, my eyes lit up when I saw that tucked into the article. That's a new nuance to the story. I wonder if there's more reaction to it.

I'm not saying sports reporters just fabricate claims to fill up column-inches, but how does one learn that Brady gave the deal "thumbs-up"?

From Belichick? LOL.

From Brady?

From the Krafts?

One can make the assumption that Brady approved, but to turn around and present an assumption as a fact is a breach of ethics, IMHO.
Well we can go down the road of accusing SMY of fabricating facts, but I don't think she did - she has always been a straight shooter as a reporter in my opinion, certainly not one with an agenda such as Borges or Callahan. So I am going to assume that she was told this off the record by one of Kraft, Belichick, or Brady himself.

Does anyone want to talk about this revelation on the assumption that it really happened?

PS there are others besides the three mentioned who could have direct knowledge of this - such as Jonathon Kraft, Floyd Reese, or other members of the front office who speak directly to the prinicipals.

Last edited:

I think it's crazy to think that Brady wouldn't at least be consulted prior to the deal being finalized. Not saying he had veto power, but he had to have known.

I was disappointed in the story overall. Mostly stuff we've heard before. The only new thing I saw was the BB approaching Moss about a new contract in camp and Randy basically saying "after the season." That was a surprise.

Brady approving the deal -- I don't see where she takes that beyond the speculation we've seen before.

I think the sources mentioned previously, and the Patriots organization in general, are very media-savy that they understand the potential controversy that could come with explicitly stating that Brady approved this deal.

Without attribution, I just don't believe such information was given to any reporter.

Last edited:

I was disappointed in the story overall. Mostly stuff we've heard before. The only new thing I saw was the BB approaching Moss about a new contract in camp and Randy basically saying "after the season." That was a surprise.

Brady approving the deal -- I don't see where she takes that beyond the speculation we've seen before.

And that part made no sense, because Moss claimed all along he hadn't heard a word about his situation. Although BB said they had talked about everything, honestly and frankly, and I assume that included his contract concerns. Randy said in February he didn't believe he was in the teams plans going forward. That was before the draft, even. Then Bill drafted in away that would signify a shift away from the vertical driven quick score threat offense.

A lot of things went into the decision, just like Bill said - even though he won't go into detail about what they were. IMHO they AKK saw the handwriting on the wall down the stretch last season. You can't count on that player to take you to the promised land. Even moreso when your turning over the defense. Quick strike offense hands the ball back to their defense sooner and more often than a ball control offense. If the quick strike offense strikes out more often than anticipated, it's spells disaster for the young defense. Pick your poison, BB picked ball control. With Moss in a contract season that posed potential philosophical problems on and off the field, some of which we began to see from week 1. Doesn't mean they don't still admire the talent or even like the individual on a personal level most of the time. But it does indicate it might be time to just move on, which is what BB chose to do. And I don't doubt Brady was aboard with that decision. Doesn't mean he didn't wish it could somehow work out, just means he saw both sides of the argument. It's not just about talent, it's about trust - and I think Tom's was likely shaken after the JETS game to the point he said no mas...

.... It's not just about talent, it's about trust - and I think Tom's was likely shaken after the JETS game to the point he said no mas...

Didn't/doesn't someone on this board have a signature quoting "it's not about assembling talent, it's about building a team"?

My guess is that Brady wanted Moss on the team, but also wanted to see Randy to make his money.

From Belichick? LOL.

From Brady?

From the Krafts?

All implausible sources, IMHO.

One can make the assumption that Brady approved, but to turn around and present an assumption as a fact is a breach of journalistic ethics, IMO.

SMY posts here from time to time. I'm sure if she sees, she'll be glad to fill you in.

Then Bill drafted in away that would signify a shift away from the vertical driven quick score threat offense.

I'm not sure you can necessarily make that argument; he only had one tight end with any NFL experience on the roster, so drafting two makes sense, plus he drafted a burner guy in the third round. And while Hernandez isn't Moss, it's not like he (or even GRONK, for that matter) can't get well downfield in a hurry.

Last edited:

I know that we shouldn't read much into body language, even though we've done it plenty with Brady in the past, but he seemed pretty positive in his interview on patriots.com. He didn't seem that upset or suprised by it so it wouldn't really suprise me if he knew it was in the works and gave some sort of approval. While I don't think BB would actually ask him for approval, I'm sure BB would say to him "we're thinking of trading Randy" and seeing how he reacts.

My guess is that Brady wanted Moss on the team, but also wanted to see Randy to make his money.

My guess is that Brady wanted Moss on the team, but he also wanted to win and not just this week or this year but consistently as they have throughout his career regardless of who his #1 WR is.

My guess is that Brady wanted Moss on the team, but he also wanted to win and not just this week or this year but consistently as they have throughout his career regardless of who his #1 WR is.

I think the most overlooked part of this story from Brady's POV is the fact that Brady is all about winning no matter what. After the Jets game, why would he want to throw the ball to Moss? Moss was hurting the team, maybe not intentionally throwing the game, but certainly dogging it; and Brady is all about drinking the T-E-A-M kool aid.

I think this cannot be overlooked. Remember how mad Brady was in the game that Galloway was messing up. And then Galloway was gone...

We are a 2 TE base now and not a 3-4 WR base. We will run the ball more.

Didn't/doesn't someone on this board have a signature quoting "it's not about assembling talent, it's about building a team"?
Yeah, it's a Pioli quote.

Last edited:

I have to believe that Brady and management (BB/Kraft) had discussions about the direction of the team during Brady's contract negotiations.
Belichick: "Tom, you've proven that you are a champion....and you've proven that you are an elite, record breaking passer. We want to get back to a formula on offense where defenses pay a price for their coverage decisions. No longer will 2 WRs dominate the stats column. We will spread the ball around and incorporate the TEs into the game plan. We know this formula works, and we have resources to address the running game and O line next year. And with Warren and Bodden returning in 2011, plus the ability to get a D line monster early in the draft, we have an opportunity to make a run at multiple championships over the next 4-5 years. We need you to trust us and we need you on board to be the leader of these young players.
Brady: "I'm 100% behind you coach, and I will continue to be the strong leader I pride myself in being. Now do you have my check ready?"
Belichick: "Where do you want us to deposit it?"
Brady: "Here's my wife's account information"

Yeah, it's a Pioli quote.

It's posted in the locker room in caps, I believe. I can't remember exactly, but I'm not in the habit of leaning on my capslock.:D

Last edited:

Belichick was asked if Brady had input on the deal, he said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back