PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast(s) XXXI -- CB Contingency plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Keenan Lewis's contract situation?

Imagine if we didn't sign mccourty lol

Then they would of probably gave Revis a pretty insane contract. I think Bill wanted both and lost big time with Browner.

If we sign Harvin, Spiller, Murray or the Kracken

Doubt Kraft would have anything to do with Greg Hardy. Isn't Kraft some kind of recipient of some kind of award for Domestic Violence? I on the other hand believe in 2nd chances;) dude is a destructive force on the field. CJones and Hardy combined with those LBs would make A backfield of Chung, Sergio Brown, Mo Larry and Curly look like superstars.

If we're moving back to zone, Charles Tillman could be an option. 34 and coming off a season ending injury. I think he'd be useful for Butler/Ryan.

5, 7, 8 for Lewis over the next 3 years hmm

so is this guy any good? His wiki page is empty. What makes this guy special?

15 years, 13 with double digit wins, 6 sb appearances, 4x champs. RELAX
It's not like the Patriots don't have the core of a very good team in place. For mine, the Patriots need to:

Offense
  1. Further invest in an upgrade(s) at Guard;
  2. Improve at RB1 and RB 3rd down;
  3. Improve at TE2;
  4. Improve at WR4-5 (Dobson's improvement pushes this down the pecking order)
Defense
  1. Significantly upgrade at CB1 and possibly CB2;
  2. Upgrade at DT/NT
  3. Add rotational depth at DE/OLB.
I'm not panicking like some. Brady and a staunch OL keeps the O moving. Hightower, Collins, McCourty, Jones and Ninko are excellent starting points for D. With some smart acquisitions, internal player development and a good draft, there's plenty of reason for optimism.

Right now, the Patriots are weaker than the Super Bowl winning team. Luckily for the Patriots, the season doesn't start until September. They have cap space and draft capital to improve.

They better be all over Keenan Lewis.

Some seem to be assuming that New Orleans wants to move on from him just b/c he complained on his twitter account today, and I don't think that's the truth.

By all accounts, the Saints want to screw our secondary plans up even more by taking Browner out of the mix---not adding Keenan Lewis!

5, 7, 8 for Lewis over the next 3 years hmm

so is this guy any good? His wiki page is empty. What makes this guy special?

Nothing makes him "special," but he did have a decent season in Pittsburgh back in 2012 which got him noticed and on the map. After that, he signed a 5/25 deal with N.Orleans and had semi-productive years with the Saints with 13 passes defended in each of the past 2 seasons.

I'm guessing that he's being a bit overrated around here, and that the lack of apparent options is making him more desirable. That said, he wouldn't be a "bad" fit by any stretch either. He'd probably work out okay if it's even an option.

You gotta mix it up on defense. You cant play zone the whole game. Problem here is the personnel when it comes to man coverage. Finally have a steady secondary and its alll gone in one night.

There no no quality corners in free agency. Patriots either have to trade for one or find one in the draft...unlikely. patriots secondary is going to be frustrating to watch this year.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe it's time time to change the approach and put up a scary defensive line that will make average CB's look good because QB's will have to throw fast to save their lives.

We bet in 2 great CB's and it paid off but we saw during the season at times you can't stop a good offense without pressure, in the most important drive of the season Russell Wilson was throwing the ball in his way to be one of the greatest off all times, the new Brady, 2 SB's out of 3 seasons, too bad he crapped the bed at the end, good for us, anyway, we won due to a miracle, a play like that will never happen again.

Between 2 great corners and a defensive line that can bully the QB all the time I'll go with the second choice.

Last edited:
Who the hell said that?

5/$67m/$28m gtd.

Yeah, not sure where you're getting "28m guaranteed?"

"Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden signed a five-year contract extension worth $68 million on Tuesday.

A total of $45 million is guaranteed."

Haden was in line with Peterson and Sherman in setting the market last spring.

Last edited:
You gotta mix it up on defense. You cant play zone the whole game. Problem here is the personnel when it comes to man coverage. Finally have a steady secondary and its alll gone in one night.
"Like a fart in the wind..."

-Warden Norton from The Shawshank Redemption.

@JMC00

Guaranteed Contract Notes

• For this section, we include money from his current deal as part of his guaranteed money (i.e. the $1.949 signing bonus from his original deal).
  • 2014: $6,678,193 base salary & $2,800,000 signing bonus
  • 2015: $8,300,000 base salary & $2,800,000 signing bonus
  • 2016: $10,100,000 base salary & $2,800,000 signing bonus
  • 2017: $4,000,000 base salary & $2,800,000 signing bonus
  • 2018: $2,800,000 signing bonus
  • The above comes to $43,078,193. Haden is supposed to be getting $45,078,193 million (but again, that's where the missing $2 million comes into play). Haden gets a lot of security with this contract. The point where he would be "cuttable" if the Browns are in terrible cap shape would be 2017 onward.
  • In 2017, Haden would carry dead money of about $6.4 million. In 2018, the dead money is only $3.2 million. In 2019, there would be no cost to cutting him. If Haden continues to play at a high level, I anticipate him being retained throughout the life of the contract, though.
Although the numbers varied, sources that contributed to obtaining these numbers included OverTheCap, the National Football Post, and ESPN.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe it's time time to change the approach and put up a scary defensive line that will make average CB's look good because QB's will have to throw fast to save his lifes.

Between 2 great corners and a defensive line that can bully the QB all the time I'll go with the second choice.

This is the approach I've wanted for years.

2013 Carolina, 2014 Bills and the 2011-2013 49ers defenses we those types of defenses. Stop the run, hit the QB a lot, survive in coverage.

I'm ecstatic that 2014 worked for us, one of the best seasons you can ever have as a fan, but if you can hit the QB consistently you can much more easily create a mindset of fear than you can by taking away his options. And its hard to take away ALL of someones options, usually someone will be open.

Creating a pass rush, in theory, should be easier than having good enough coverage to force the ball to be held for insane amounts of time.

I have all the respect for the seasons that Revis and Browner gave us, but the former is not coming back and the latter likely won't either. It's time to move on.

I hope we scoop up at least one good pass rusher (Orakpo?, I'm aware he isn't a scheme fit, but ideas would help, rumors TB will cut Michael Johnson, potential trade targets, etc.), draft another solid pass rush prospect, add T. Knighton, and upgrade the guard position.

As fun as it would be to upgrade WR3 and TE2 we have bigger needs now that our coverage unit is lacking. And there isn't much of an upgrade to the backend left on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back