PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast(s) XXXI -- CB Contingency plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the plan: McCourty moves back to CB. Harmon and Chung will be the safeties.

You can't really compare seattles ability to draft and develop secondary guys to ours

Because we actually draft consistently well and Seattle doesnt? They hit on Sherman, Chancellor and Wilson and since then had 2 aweful drafts with not a single starting caliber player in a row.

I am very tired of this myth.

I think it is premature how people think Butler can step right in as a starter and do good. I think he has some potential and he showed flashes of it in the Super Bowl. But ultimately he wasn't making plays all season.

It seems unrealistic to expect him to emerge as a starter right off the bat in 2015. It might happen but people seem to be pumping him up big time after one very good game.

BB is terrible at drafting corners. There is a laundry list of busts BB has drafted over the past 15 years. Correct me if I am wrong the only good corer he drafted is Asante Samuel. Not sure McCourty counts because while he was drafted as corner he only had one good season before they moved him to safety. I would love to know what plan B is. I just hope its not the draft.

Give me a list of CBs in the last decade that were drafted after pick 20 in the first round and became great players.

You will end up with a list of 2, maybe 3 players. All the elite corners were drafted very, very early which is where we rarely pick because we are so successful.

I think it is premature how people think Butler can step right in as a starter and do good. I think he has some potential and he showed flashes of it in the Super Bowl. But ultimately he wasn't making plays all season.

It seems unrealistic to expect him to emerge as a starter right off the bat in 2015. It might happen but people seem to be pumping him up big time after one very good game.

He looked good in more than just 1 game last season.

trade for keenan lewis

sign scumbag culliver

resign browner...should of never released him anyway.

saw cromartie on first take yesterday, he said he wants to win a ring. call him up....browner/cromartie on the outside. better than logan ryan/butler. lol

trade for keenan lewis

sign scumbag culliver

resign browner...should of never released him anyway.

saw cromartie on first take yesterday, he said he wants to win a ring. call him up....browner/cromartie on the outside. better than logan ryan/butler. lol

Just curious as to why culliver is a scumbag? What's his rap sheet?

Just curious as to why culliver is a scumbag? What's his rap sheet?

I don't think it's a big deal at all. But I'm assuming it's cause he said this:

Former NFL offensive tackle Kwame Harris came out last year, prompting a negative reaction from San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver.

“I don’t do the gays, man,” Culliver said last year, days before his team played in the Super Bowl. “I don’t do that. No, we don’t got no gay people on the team; they got to get up out of here if they do.”

He's apologized since then and has tried to reach out to the LGBT community several times as well.

Give me a list of CBs in the last decade that were drafted after pick 20 in the first round and became great players.

You will end up with a list of 2, maybe 3 players. All the elite corners were drafted very, very early which is where we rarely pick because we are so successful.
Well, you could start with Richard Sherman, round 5. Asante was round 4 I believe. Cortland Finnegan was round 7. Chris Culliver was round 3. Brandon Flowers was round 2. Charles Tillman was round 2.

So there's a few. There are many more.

I don't think it's a big deal at all. But I'm assuming it's cause he said this:

He's apologized since then and has tried to reach out to the LGBT community several times as well.
Well, making comments like this when you play in San Francisco shows piss poor judgment. I don't necessarily take issue with people having views that aren't politically correct but if you're in the public eye, it's probably best for you to STFU about them.

Well, you could start with Richard Sherman, round 5. Asante was round 4 I believe. Cortland Finnegan was round 7. Chris Culliver was round 3. Brandon Flowers was round 2. Charles Tillman was round 2.

Culliver, Finnegan are not the level of skill we were talking about. I give you Flowers and Tillman but to give the full picture both were taken with the 3rd pick of round 2. Finally, Sherman is the exception we all know.

My point being is that you barely get those players when you pick late in the first. You take your shots, some work (Asante) some don't (Ras-I), and this is the same for all teams.

Now developing CBs once they are on the team is a different issue and I am definitely not saying that we can't do a better job.

Because we actually draft consistently well and Seattle doesnt? They hit on Sherman, Chancellor and Wilson and since then had 2 aweful drafts with not a single starting caliber player in a row.

I am very tired of this myth.

The early returns haven't been good, but the Seahawks haven't drafted a first rounder in those 2 years. I think some more time is needed before we can really evaluate those draft classes.

If these classes don't pan out, though, it'll be interesting to wonder if they were just benefiting a ton from Carroll drafting players that he scouted/coached/coached against from high school onward. With that advantage gone, it wouldn't surprise me if their drafting takes a nosedive.

Culliver, Finnegan are not the level of skill we were talking about. I give you Flowers and Tillman but to give the full picture both were taken with the 3rd pick of round 2. Finally, Sherman is the exception we all know.

My point being is that you barely get those players when you pick late in the first. You take your shots, some work (Asante) some don't (Ras-I), and this is the same for all teams.

Now developing CBs once they are on the team is a different issue and I am definitely not saying that we can't do a better job.

This could be the year. There's a lot of talent out there at CB, better than last year's class IMO.

The early returns haven't been good, but the Seahawks haven't drafted a first rounder in those 2 years.

In 2014 they moved back from #32 to #40 and picked up another 4th rounder (#108). In 2013 and 2015 they decided to give their first round pick away for a offensive player (Harvin, Graham). Those were all decisions that should be taken into account I think. If you roll the dice to pick up players or trade down for more picks then you put yourself under more pressure to draft well with what you have got.

Lets see what they do this year. I am curious to see if their second attempt at a homerun will go better than with Percy.

In 2014 they moved back from #32 to #40 and picked up another 4th rounder (#108). In 2013 and 2015 they decided to give their first round pick away for a offensive player (Harvin, Graham). Those were all decisions that should be taken into account I think. If you roll the dice to pick up players or trade down for more picks then you put yourself under more pressure to draft well with what you have got.

Lets see what they do this year. I am curious to see if their second attempt at a homerun will go better than with Percy.

I definitely the Harvin trade reflects badly on the FO overall, especially since I thought it was awful from the moment they made it. But when evaluating draft's that just occurred 1-2 years ago, the lack of a first rounder has to be taken into account. Dumb trades that leave them without draft picks should not be taken as negatives against their drafting. Trading down just means that they're collecting assets in a way that means they probably can't be evaluated right away.

If you look at the Pats' 2014 draft from the "evaluating based on one year" perspective, it doesn't look great either. They got a starting center, a backup lineman, and a bunch of noncontributors to date. But that would not be a fair assessment, since we need at least another year or two to evaluate Easley, White, and Fleming in particular.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/51589/309/2015-nfl-free-agents?pg=2

Cornerbacks
1. Darrelle Revis (Agreed to 5-year, $70M deal with NYJ)
2. Byron Maxwell (Agreed to 6-year, $63M deal with PHI)
3. Brandon Flowers (Re-signed 4-year, $36.4M deal with SD)
4. Tramon Williams
5. Antonio Cromartie
6. Buster Skrine (Signed 4-year, $25M contract with NYJ)
7. Kareem Jackson (Re-signed 4-year, $34M deal with HOU)
8. Davon House (Agreed to 4-year, $25M deal with JAX)
9. Chris Culliver
10. Perrish Cox
11. Patrick Robinson
12. Cary Williams (Signed 3-year, $18M deal with SEA)
13. Jimmy Wilson
14. Rashean Mathis
15. Brandon Browner
16. Alan Ball
17. Walter Thurmond III (Agreed to 1-year, $3.25M deal with PHI)
18. Terence Newman
19. Charles Tillman
20. Tarell Brown
21. Brice McCain
22. Darius Butler (Re-signed 2-year, $5M deal with IND)
23. Shareece Wright
24. Cortland Finnegan (Retired)
25. Sterling Moore
26. Bradley Fletcher
27. Kyle Wilson
28. Josh Wilson
29. Robert McClain (Signed 2-year, $5.5M deal with MIA)
30. Will Blackmon (Signed 1-year, $950K deal with SEA)
31. Anthony Levine (Re-signed 2-year deal with BAL)
32. Chris Cook
33. Ike Taylor
34. Brandon Harris
35. Carlos Rogers
36. Mike Jenkins (Re-signed 1-year deal with TB)
37. Antoine Cason
38. E.J. Biggers
39. Chykie Brown

Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick

This could be the year. There's a lot of talent out there at CB, better than last year's class IMO.

Can't agree here, FTW, although you never know when you'll get lucky.

It's been talked about at length that the CB class is awfully weak this year, which is why no one is even expected to be taken until the 20s for the first time in awhile. Here are 2 statements just from the first couple of google results.

1) "The 2015 NFL draft 's top cornerback just left little doubt about his elite ... is not an elite prospect...just the best prospect in a weaker class."

2) "Stanford CB Alex Carter .... not long speed. he will be mid second early 3rd, due to the weak cb class this year."

Not exactly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...4779065/assessing-cb-draft-class-for-patriots

Some notes on the cornerback class in this year's NFL draft, as it relates to the New England Patriots. Many are asking "what's next?" after Darrelle Revis signed with the New York Jets and Brandon Browner became a free agent:

1. In an interview at the NFL combine with the Ravens' official website, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said there aren't many "plug-and-play" cornerback prospects this year. At the same time, McShay said that teams can still get quality players at the position in the second- and third-round range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back