PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shula to be in MNF booth

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's from Jaws :

"On Hall of Famer Don Shula’s planned visit to ESPN’s MNF booth Monday in Baltimore …

“The one thing we know about Coach Shula is that he will not hold anything back.’’"

Wonderful :rolleyes:
oh great.now patriots fans have to listen to spy gate garbage all night long :rolleyes: espn is truly pathetic

No kidding on the 1PM games. We havent had one of those since week 7 against Miami. That's 6 weeks now since a 'normal' game time. And considering all the money the NFL has no doubt made off the Colts and Dallas games broadcast ratings, and now 3 straight prime time games, I wonder if they'll give NE and Belichick back those fines they were hit with.

You hear about how these NFL players are 'creatures of habit'. How hard must it be to have to constantly play their games at 4PM or at night? Im sure theyre looking for just a small taste of normalcy at this point. But for some reason, I just dont see much of that coming.
they play at 4 next week .then they have two 1 pm games and then a sat night game .

I wouldn't miss the audio for this game for anything because there will be a time when Brady goes under center that we'll hear, " Old Man Don! FU 20, FU 120, FU Omaha, Hut Hut!"

OK, MNF has now officially become a zoo.

Give me the freakin' Sunday 1pm games. I long to get back to a simpler world . . .

Absolutely. Let me know what time to show up and what to bring.

I'm not going to join in on this kicking Shula around.
The man was a great football coach. One of the best some would argue.

Set the Shula kicking aside. MNF is inventing a controversy, or that is what the suspicion is.

Two color guys in the booth is one or two too many. Having guests is just puke-wad. I cannot stand the conversations that wander and meander on and on even as play continues. The play becomes the side-show.

That is the problem a lot of people have. Secondarily, this smells like a set up to goad the old guy into starting a pissing contest.

First I don't want the Pats to do MNF any more, and secondly I don't want the team to endure more planted, contrived controversies that make that trio of buffoons look like journalists with an actual story.

It would be nice if someone in the MNF booth asked Shula, "But Don, didn't the Dolphins lose a #1 pick because you and cheated in agreeing to a contract with them while you were still a Colt?"

But they won't.

I'm not going to join in on this kicking Shula around.
The man was a great football coach. One of the best some would argue.
He wasn't good enough to get Marino a superbowl ring.

But if you think he was invited into the booth because he was a good coach, you're naive.

He was invited because he stepped over the lline in his comments and it makes great TV drama. He will either stand by what he said, or back down. Either will be replayed on Sportscenter ad nauseum.

My opinion is that he will do damage control by saying he didn't mean what he said, which ranks right down there on the Truth-O-Meter with, "We don't drink champagne when the last unbeaten team loses."

It would be nice if someone in the MNF booth asked Shula, "But Don, didn't the Dolphins lose a #1 pick because you and cheated in agreeing to a contract with them while you were still a Colt?"

But they won't.

I bet Corny would. In fact, that sounds exactly like he'd put it. It also would have nothing to do with the game.

they play at 4 next week .then they have two 1 pm games and then a sat night game .

The 1:00 games could be moved to 4pm, and I would guess the Jets game would definately be moved, but save the Giants game no more primetime.

But he was good enough to win 2 straight with the only (so far)undefeated season.

But if you think he was invited into the booth because he was a good coach, you're naive.

I was only pointing out Shula's achievements and present mental condition:D to show he is worthy of some leeway. I wasn't commenting as to why he was invited to the booth
It's going to be interesting to see how that goes, though.
I still reserve the right to change my mind.

He was invited because he stepped over the lline in his comments and it makes great TV drama. He will either stand by what he said, or back down. Either will be replayed on Sportscenter ad nauseum.

I think we can count on seeing plenty of Don Shula in the national spot light as long as the Pats streak continues.

My opinion is that he will do damage control by saying he didn't mean what he said, which ranks right down there on the Truth-O-Meter with, "We don't drink champagne when the last unbeaten team loses."

No doubt he'll try to minimize his comments as much as possible.
Plus he got that restaurant in Providence.:D

Apparently ESPN can't sell their product simply for what it is.
First they need Jaworski to rip on Randy Moss (not happening if the Patriots are not one of ESPN's Monday night teams) to create some pre-game buzz and now they're advertising how they're going to roll out one of the old and tired '72 Dolphins.
It's actually a sad commentary on how ESPN is more circus than sports.
Gil and Gino will sound good Monday night.

Last edited:

Good point. The guy has cheated and pretends that he was above it.

The problem is that nobody is above it but the perception is that they should abandon what has worked for them for all these years. Abandon it in favor of what? People are people and last time I checked they usually do what's best for themselves and try to win games almost any way that they can.

What the hell else can we expect?

What is that supposed to mean? The guy was a great coach. Great coaches don't win every year. Jimmy Johnson didn't win down there either. How can you point at what a guy didn't do as his defining moment when you KNOW how hard it is to win the SB?

Dude, Belichick and Brady didn't win it last year either. Nor did they win it the year before. Does that mean that they are less the player and coach that they were in 2004? Don't be idiotic.

Tirico: I think theirs a game going on here, let me check.

Exactly my problem with the whole thing. Forget "gate" commentary - this is just one more distraction from the game.

I almost wouldn't mind guests if they learned how to STFU when the game is going on. And I still want to know who made the tackle or threw the key blocks. They just ignore all of that.

They are not interested in football fans. They are trying to "capture audience" in some other segments and they will put the screws to us in order to get that other segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes