PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shrine Game News

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Cross posted from Prospect Thread:

Today is the start of Shrine Game practices and the first name to stand out is Deandre Smelter's partner at Georgia Tech Darren Waller. Apparently measured in at 6'6" 3/4 and 243 lbs.

Darren Waller/Georgia Tech looks like a beast in one on one. Dominating opponents.

https://twitter.com/TonyPauline/status/554712834069000194

Georgia Tech WR Waller is a monster. Built just like K. Benjamin and he laughs at jam attempts from anyone.

https://twitter.com/JeffRisdon/status/554716826392100864

I love this WR class, especially some of the depth. DeAndreSmelter, Darren Waller, Tre McBride. Split ends: Smelter, Waller, Vince Mayle, Breshad Permian, Tony Lippett, Devante Davis, Kasen Williams, Deontay Greenery. Flankers: McBride, Devin Smith, Stefon Diggs, Phillip Dorsett, Jamison Crowder. I'd say that this year's WR class may actually be stronger than last year's for day 3.

I love this WR class, especially some of the depth. DeAndreSmelter, Darren Waller, Tre McBride. Split ends: Smelter, Waller, Vince Mayle, Breshad Permian, Tony Lippett, Devante Davis, Kasen Williams, Deontay Greenery. Flankers: McBride, Devin Smith, Stefon Diggs, Phillip Dorsett, Jamison Crowder. I'd say that this year's WR class may actually be stronger than last year's for day 3.

Like the pass rushing class, there's something for everyone. Every type of receiver is represented.

FWIW, according to Draft Scout, Waller runs a 4.54 forty. Even allowing for a bit of exaggeration, that still puts him in that Kelvin Benjamin range. Could also make for a decent TE conversion project, those Georgia Tech guys know how to block.

FWIW, according to Draft Scout, Waller runs a 4.54 forty. Even allowing for a bit of exaggeration, that still puts him in that Kelvin Benjamin range. Could also make for a decent TE conversion project, those Georgia Tech guys know how to block.

Let's go for the day 3 / UDFA Georgia Tech quadruple threat on offense:

- WR DeAndre Smelter (6'2" 222#)
- WR Darren Waller (6' 6 3/4" 243#)
- RB/FB/H-Back Synjyn Days (6' 0 1/2" 230#)
- OG Shaquille Mason (6'1" 311#)

We could probably do much worse.

Let's go for the day 3 / UDFA Georgia Tech quadruple threat on offense:

- WR DeAndre Smelter (6'2" 222#)
- WR Darren Waller (6' 6 3/4" 243#)
- RB/FB/H-Back Synjyn Days (6' 0 1/2" 230#)
- OG Shaquille Mason (6'1" 311#)

We could probably do much worse.

I'm not sure Brady's up for running the triple option anymore :)

I like all four of those and despite my binky desire for the other two, I suspect Waller and Days would be the more likely BB picks, just because they're mismatch types. Waller especially but BB likes his big backs too.

I'm all about taking major projects if they look like they can work (Denard Robinson, who I would have tested out at RB, WR, KR, PR, CB), but some position changes are just dumb, Bell is one of them I feel, I also felt like Logan Thomas to TE would be stupid and Collin Klein to anywhere would be dumb, I'd like to see Gardner at WR and RB however, might work, no Robinson however

Some notes from Josh Norris at Rotoworld:
William & Mary WR Tre McBride is the real deal. We saw it during his games this season, against FCS and FBS opponents, creating separation with routes and burst, and then winning at the catch point or when forced to manipulate his body. He is the clear top prospect at this event, and a second day selection is possible.

I still would not rule out Georgia Tech’s Darren Waller playing more of a Flex TE role in the NFL, at least more so than a true WR. He won today by creating immediate separation off the line. Someone of his size must do that versus press. His breaks looked laborious, however.

Someone has to try and shut these receivers down, right? Prior to this week kicking off, Georgia’s Damian Swann, Tennessee’s Justin Coleman and Texas State’s Craig Mager stood out. They did so again today against talented receivers. Mager is extremely aggressive when closing at the catch point and will stay in a receiver’s hip pocket. We did not see it today, but Swann and Coleman played in the slot during the 2014 season.

With the West, Washington’s Kasen Williams continues his up and down season. The previously productive receiver made some great catches away from his body but dropped a number of others. The conditions were not great thanks to poor weather, however, it has been a common theme for Williams for too long.

With both teams likely in full pads on Tuesday, I will be focusing on OL vs DL. One note, I think Louisville G John Miller is the best blocker here, as he generates a powerful first punch with a lower half that is explosive. He bends at the knees instead of the waist.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/51581/351/east-west-shrine-day-1

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back