PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shouldn't We Mention Gostkowski ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrellbee

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Well, in his first pressure key FG try, Gostkowski came through. A nice little 32 yarder to tie the game which let the Patriots play conservatively from that point.

And he had 4 VERY nice kickoffs.
3 yards into end zone. Return to 18
1 yard into end zone. Return to 24
2 yards into end zone. Return to 42 (not very good special teams coverage)
3 yards into end zone. Return to 17

His kicks are not only deep but apparently with good hang time for the coverage to be able to limit to 18, 24, and 17. If that continues, even taking into account the return to the 42 that average return yard line would probably be the best in the NFL. Although giving up one long return is something of a problem.

So far so good for Mr. Gostkowski.

On Patriots kickoff returns, they averaged starting at the 24.8 yard line. As you might have had the impression from watching the game, that's not very good at all. Some imiportant work to do.

Good blocking on that 42 yarder, some times the Buffalo wins.

Ghost looked good. PK is a position that I'm not worried about at all.
No, really.

Please....shhhhh....no jinxes.

He got a few mentions in the longer game recaps. Scott, quit talking about jinxes, there is no such thing.

Gost was excellent. Every KO was into the EZ, not deep in but 2-4 yards, and he kicked a pressure kick right down the middle. Mark it down, he'll miss a big kick sometime - they all do, even Vinatraitor. But Gost looks like a definite keeper.

Certainly looks like the real deal. I'm anxious to see how he does on a few longer distance kicks in hostile environments.

Yeah I wasn't surprised there wasn't more Gost talk after the game. Of course, I wasn't going to be the one to start a thread on a kicker. ;)

I thought he was as good as advertised. Count me as not worried about the kicker position. Never really was. I mean, they're ******* kickers, right? Grammatica has a Super Bowl ring. 'Nuff said.

I'm withholding judgement until he gets a few more FG under his belt but it was nice to see some kickoffs that consistently made it to the endzone. Unlike that other kicker's.

CTPatsFan said:
I'm withholding judgement until he gets a few more FG under his belt but it was nice to see some kickoffs that consistently made it to the endzone. Unlike that other kicker's.

Once Gost has a few playoff wins under his belt, I think we can all send Belichick our letters of apology.

Personally, I have always considered "that other kicker" the SB MVP from the 2001 miracle season. It's not every day that a rookie steps in on Week One and plays to that level.

Speaking of MVPs, that means that BB has now shipped out two out of three SB heroes.

CTPatsFan said:

I'll go as far as saying that even if Gost misses two or three more FGs than Vinatieri would have during the course of the season (I don't think he will, and there's no way of knowing), the advantage we get in field position during the course of the game is more important in helping us win.

dryheat44 said:
I'll go as far as saying that even if Gost misses two or three more FGs than Vinatieri would have during the course of the season (I don't think he will, and there's no way of knowing), the advantage we get in field position during the course of the game is more important in helping us win.

Totally agree!!! I was glad Gost had such a good 1st game! I'm sure there will be misses during the season, but we've upgraded in age and future at this point.

and he made the first regular season extra point at Gillette since
Flutie.

braveht said:
and he made the first regular season extra point at Gillette since
Flutie.

How quickly we forget.....was that the start of Bill telling #4 we don't need you?

Pat the Pats Fan said:
How quickly we forget.....was that the start of Bill telling #4 we don't need you?

Not at all. If you remember, Adam kicked all the earlier kicks which brught him up to 100 points on the season. Adam had a nice streak going of consecutive 100 point seasons and BB recognized how important that was. Flutie would never have even trotted onto the field had Vinatieri not gotten his earlier kicks.

dryheat44 said:

Not sure if it was an adrenaline rush or what but Adam was booting the hell out of the ball on Kickoff's Sunday night. I was in shock!

Side note: It was said in a thread a couple of weeks ago, after Gostkowski kicked the 54 yarder in the meadowlands, that Adam does not have a shot at making that kick now. He kicked a 49 yarder right down the middle with plenty to spare on Sunday night. Like I said maybe it was the Adrenaline but Adam did look good Sunday. The only bad part about Gostkowski kicking so well is that his first miss will be in a game that counts. Long live the Gost!!:D

I'm happy with his performance so far; sure I loved AV but I'm optimistic about Gostkowski's season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft