PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the refs have called roughing the kicker at the end of the Colts-Jets game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Should the refs have called roughing the kicker at the end of the Colts-Jets game

He ran into the kicker. By the letter of the rule, it was a penalty. This was a situation much like the brushing of a QB's helmet that gets called. It's a violation of the letter of the rule, but there was clearly nothing harmful that was done and the play should have been let go.

Re: Should the refs have called roughing the kicker at the end of the Colts-Jets game

That was certainly running into the kicker in addition to a very dramatic dive by Weatherford. Considering the three options Steratore had (no call, running into, roughing), that was the right call. While the Smith was blocked, he wasn't blocked directly into the kicker. He has to control his body better in a situation like that.

Not to be a nit picker but the call was "running into the kicker" which is a 5 yard penalty as opposed to "roughing the kicker" which is a 15 yard penalty.

It was the right call, it had to be called, and there was no doubt about it. I said to my wife that that player, just activated form the PS, would not wear a Colts uni again, ever. That was stupid. He could have avoided hitting the kicker and maybe he would have just brushed him. Had he just brushed him, the ref could have ignored the contact.

But this player was stupid and the ref had no choice but to call it.

The refs really had no choice but to call this penalty. It was just a huge dumba$$ play at the most inopportune time to run into the punter. The game probably would have ended differently and I hope that the player (can't recall his name) has a month to month rental agreement.

I don't necessarily agree with this. One of the other games had a very similar play and they ruled he was "blocked into the kicker" when the blocker was a good 5 yards away. They probably could have done that here too, especially seeing how the punter looked like Christian Ronaldo flopping like he had shot.

What is it with guys who kick balls and flopping?

How in God's name can anyone think it wasn't the right call? The defender had plenty of time to avoid the kicker and ran right into him. The kicker's attempt to draw a roughing the kicker call doesn't change anything about how it was blatant running into the kicker.

Well if you're a Colts fan or looking to make excuses for Peyton Manning, then you're going to focus in on this play. It was a dumb play by the Colts player and it might have cost them the game. But that's all there is to it. It was not the wrong call.

I agree with the sentiment this was a good call. Running into the kicker is pretty cut and dry, you can't just ignore it. Colts have to be more disciplined in that situation. I will say I've been happy that the play itself did not ultimately end up being the difference in the game and I'm also happy with most of the officiating thus far in the playoffs, especially in regards to PI (or non-PI). They seemed to have let the DB's play for the most part. Hope it continues and the refs don't choose Sunday 4:15 to start cracking down, because we know Revis and co. will never get called for it regardless.

Speaking of the refs, do we know who the Pats/Jets are getting for a crew? Please don't let it be Triplette or Hochuli!!

it was a good call.

After watching it again, I'm even more :confused: why anyone would claim it shouldn't have been called.

Not only did he have time to avoid the kicker, he jumped on top of him. It was closer to roughing than a non-call.

I believe the call was "running into" and not "roughing" the Kicker and that it carried a five yard penalty, which happened to be enough to give the Jests a first down, but only because they needed five or fewer yards.

To answer the thread question, "Yes," they should have called what they called.

The Kicker is about as defenseless as any player on the field in the course of a game when he is finishing his punt or kick. He has to be protected.

All I know is as soon as I saw it live I said "Aw **** that's running in to the kicker..."

It was a good call and one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen.

It was a good call and one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen.

I'm no fan of Tony Dungy, but he coached players not to make plays like that.

This is what happened after that penalty:
Code:
# 4-5-NYJ 25 (3:10) 9-S.Weatherford punts 46 yards to IND 29, Center-46-T.Purdum, fair catch by 15-B.White. PENALTY on IND-10-T.Smith, Running Into the Kicker, 5 yards, enforced at NYJ 25 - No Play. WATCH HIGHLIGHT
[B]# 1-10-NYJ 30 (3:02) (Run formation) 23-S.Greene up the middle to NYJ 32 for 2 yards (93-D.Freeney).
# Timeout #1 by IND at 02:57.
# 2-8-NYJ 32 (2:57) (Shotgun) Direct snap to 16-B.Smith. 16-B.Smith up the middle to NYJ 35 for 3 yards (27-J.Lacey).
# Timeout #2 by IND at 02:51.
# 3-5-NYJ 35 (2:51) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete deep right to 17-B.Edwards.
# 4-5-NYJ 35 (2:45) 9-S.Weatherford punts 65 yards to end zone, Center-46-T.Purdum, Touchback.[/B]
# Indianapolis Colts at 02:36
The Jets went 3 and out and burned 17 seconds off the clock. The Colts next possession they drove down the field and took the lead with 57 seconds left. Even if that was a bad call, I don't know how you could argue it cost the Colts the game. If anything it put more pressure on the Jets when they got the ball back with 53 seconds.

It's nice to see the majority of Pats fans being realistic here, but I had to sign up just to respond to this post.

While all this is true, that play gave the Jets an automatic 1st down. Anytime you give the opposing team and extra set of downs, thats bad in my eyes. Maybe it didn't seem so bad since it was the Jets but imagine giving Brady an extra set of downs in any point in the game?

But anyways I was just asking for the most part, it seemed the play was a little over dramatic but I guess the penalty should have been called like everybody responded since he did indeed make contact with the kicker.

And you know you didn't just sign up for this one response to my post;)

Last edited:

Seeing other teams make critical execution mistakes and clock management mistakes on a regular basis makes me appreciate BB's emphasis on situational football and being prepared, on instinct, for even the oddest of circumstances.

Sure it's not good to give the opposing team an extra set of downs, but in this instance it didn't have much impact on the outcome of the game.

I did sign up just to respond to this post. I may post again, but probably won't be posting much. I certainly didn't come here to run my mouth.

Okay, I see your point. I see it a little differently but thats cool. You make a good point anyways. I believe you arent here to talk smack, you seem like a smart Jets fan unlike the other obnoxious crowds that stroll onto here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back