PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the refs have called roughing the kicker at the end of the Colts-Jets game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Full article here: Should the refs have called roughing the kicker at the end of the Colts-Jets game?

Smith was called for running into the kicker after he accidentally knocked over Steve Weatherford around the three-minute mark of the fourth quarter. Smith was running at full speed and appeared to have a chance at blocking Weatherford’s kick–but he just missed it. While the Colts would have received the ball on their own 29-yard line, the defense was forced to stay on the field as the five-yard penalty gave the Jets a first down.

The penalty was a bit far fetched to me and Colts gave the game away with this bone-headed penalty. The kicker deserves a grammy for the way he played it out too.

Re: Should the refs have called roughing the kicker at the end of the Colts-Jets game

It was a 50/50 call, can't blame the referee either way.

BUT the guy writing the description of what happened is totally out of his mind.

Re: Should the refs have called roughing the kicker at the end of the Colts-Jets game

Even tho Smith was semi-blocked into the kicker...he could have not run into him......

It was a borderline call that was more acting than contact.....but a rule is a rule...don't touch the kicker

The penalty was a bit far fetched to me and Colts gave the game away with this bone-headed penalty. The kicker deserves a grammy for the way he played it out too.
Sorry, I'm sick and tired of the Colts getting the breaks from the referees in playoff games. Colts one and done, Jets will be two and done!

Is there video anywhere? The way I remember it the Colts player had no chance at all to block the punt, made contact well after the ball was gone and could have avoided the contact altogether despite the block. While I have my complaints about the NFL softening up the game this seemed to be about as textbook a call as I can remember.

Is there video anywhere? The way I remember it the Colts player had no chance at all to block the punt, made contact well after the ball was gone and could have avoided the contact altogether despite the block. While I have my complaints about the NFL softening up the game this seemed to be about as textbook a call as I can remember.

My thoughts exactly

It would have been a travesty if it had NOT been called.

It didn't look like he could of avoided the punter (there was a little shove from the blocker at the end) from my perspective. I do agree that there was no way to block the punt. From what I remember, it looked like he tried to hold up and tried to hold up the kicker after contact but the punter seemed intent to fall down. . In the end, they made the correct call but the Jets punter put on a hell of an acting job..

Last edited:

It was blatant. They absolutely should have called it. Dude made no effort to avoid the kicker.

Also just as blatant was the pushoff by Braylon Edwards on the last play before the Jets field goal.

Was really surprised that was not called. That would have taken the Jets out of field goal range.

The refs really had no choice but to call this penalty. It was just a huge dumba$$ play at the most inopportune time to run into the punter. The game probably would have ended differently and I hope that the player (can't recall his name) has a month to month rental agreement.

Full article here: Should the refs have called roughing the kicker at the end of the Colts-Jets game?

I said out loud to my husband, "Wow, a bad call finally goes AGAINST the Colts." Who'da thunk it? That kicker did a masterful dive.

I said out loud to my husband, "Wow, a bad call finally goes AGAINST the Colts." Who'da thunk it? That kicker did a masterful dive.

And you were wrong. That call was absolutely correct.

The guy "ran into the kicker"...pretty sure you have to call the "Running into the kicker" penalty:confused:

How in God's name can anyone think it wasn't the right call? The defender had plenty of time to avoid the kicker and ran right into him. The kicker's attempt to draw a roughing the kicker call doesn't change anything about how it was blatant running into the kicker.

I agree with the sentiment this was a good call. Running into the kicker is pretty cut and dry, you can't just ignore it. Colts have to be more disciplined in that situation. I will say I've been happy that the play itself did not ultimately end up being the difference in the game and I'm also happy with most of the officiating thus far in the playoffs, especially in regards to PI (or non-PI). They seemed to have let the DB's play for the most part. Hope it continues and the refs don't choose Sunday 4:15 to start cracking down, because we know Revis and co. will never get called for it regardless.

Last edited:

I agree with the sentiment this was a good call. Running into the kicker is pretty cut and dry, you can't just ignore it. Colts have to be more disciplined in that situation.

I will say I've been happy with most of the officiating thus far in the playoffs, especially in regards to PI (or non-PI). They seemed to have let the DB's play for the most part. Hope it continues and the refs don't choose Sunday 4:15 to start cracking down, because we know Revis and co. will never get called for it regardless.

But see, that's just the thing, refs often do ignore it, especially when a guy does a swan dive to call attention to it. For once a call like that went against the Colts. Pretty remarkable, not just that they called it, but that they called it against the Colts to boot.

It was pretty clear cut to me, he ran into the kicker.

That was absolutly roughing the kicker.

And you were wrong. That call was absolutely correct.

Oh, Jared. I was commenting more on the fact that the call went against the Colts, the darlings of the NFL refs, rather than on whether it was the right call. It's one that is often ignored by the refs, no matter how good the dive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft