PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Patriots take a flyer on Kenny Britt in UFA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Kenny Britt looked like he had the makings of an NFL star back in 2010 when he 42 catches for 775 yards and 9 touchdowns: Kenny Britt Stats - Tennessee Titans - ESPN

He is just 25 years old with great size at 6’3 223 lbs. combined with very good athletic ability: *Kenny Britt | Rutgers, WR : 2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

The downside is that Britt combines injury issues with major off the field problems, he has been arrested 7 times according to the NFL arrest data base: NFL Arrests Database | UTSanDiego.com

• 7/20/2012, Tennessee, WR, Kenny Britt, Arrested and charged with DUI as he attempted to pass through a security gate at the Fort Campbell Army base, Fort Campbell, Ky.,
  • 6/29/2011, Tennessee, WR, Kenny Britt, Surrendered to police on warrants sworn out April 14. He allegedly made false statements on his driver's license application, a misdemeanor.
  • 6/8/2011, Tennessee, WR, Kenny Britt, Arrested in New Jersey on two counts of resisting arrest. He allegedly tried to conceal a marijuana cigar from police, just a day after pleading guilty to careless driving in April.
  • 4/12/2011, Tennessee, WR, Kenny Britt, Arrested in New Jersey after car chase with police. Charged with felony: eluding an officer. Pleaded guilty to careless driving, fined $478, four points transferred to his license. Other charges dropped.
  • 2/9/2011, Tennessee, WR, Kenny Britt, Criminal complaint filed against him alleging theft by deception. He allegedly failed his pledge to pay two bail bonds companies for friend arrested in January 2010. Made $12,500 payment.
  • 8/4/2010, Tennessee, WR, Kenny Britt, Misdemeanor citation in Nashville for driving on a revoked license. He was pulled over for having the window tinting too dark on his Chevy Camaro.,
  • 1/15/2010, Tennessee, WR, Kenny Britt, Arrested on three outstanding traffic warrants after being pulled over in Glen Ridge, N.J., Paid $865 and was released.

Worth a flyer, not worth it?

I wouldn't mind if they brought him to camp on a minimum salary at a one year deal.

But I'm pretty sure this guy has a mental disorder.

Give me Riley Cooper instead. He's got some issues, but they are manageable. I'm not sure Britt's are.

Kenny Britt looked like he had the makings of an NFL star back in 2010 when he 42 catches for 775 yards and 9 touchdowns: Kenny Britt Stats - Tennessee Titans - ESPN

He is just 25 years old with great size at 6’3 223 lbs. combined with very good athletic ability: *Kenny Britt*|*Rutgers,*WR*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

The downside is that Britt combines injury issues with major off the field problems, he has been arrested 7 times according to the NFL arrest data base: NFL Arrests Database | UTSanDiego.com

I think Kraft raised the bar after AH I don't see it happening. He has the size I would love to see out there.

Give me Riley Cooper instead. He's got some issues, but they are manageable. I'm not sure Britt's are.
I like Britt. I believe he has all the tools to be a top line receiver in the NFL. Outside of his injury, BB has a proven track record with labelled malcontents. If the Patriots can get him on a one year prove it deal, I'd be in favor of that. It's the last chance saloon for Britt. Hopefully he realises that.

Should the Patriots sign the worst WR in the NFL in 2013?

Because that's Kenny Britt.

Wasn't his only "issue" that racist comment he made while he was drunk?

He might be worth the risk

great potential, injury prone with off the field problems

Britt certainly sounds like Belichick's type of player.

He is just 25 years old with great size at 6’3 223 lbs. combined with very good athletic ability: *Kenny Britt*|*Rutgers,*WR*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

great potential, injury prone with off the field problems

Britt certainly sounds like Belichick's type of player.

I appreciate what you're saying, mgteich; however, I disagree that he sounds like "Belichick's type of player." I believe that he sounds nothing like a Belichick type player.

First of all, one needs to have a good amount of intelligence, to pick up our system and all of its finer nuances. All 11 players need to know the responsibility of those other players (to some level, obviously this changes with the OL). Our WRs need to see the same thing as Brady, read pre-snaps, shifts, be able to run the entire route tree, etc. We've seen a ton of much better receivers than Kenny Britt fail at this due to not being able to pick it up. I'm not as sure as you are that Britt sounds like this type of guy.

Britt obviously had some type of attitude issues, work ethic problems, etc. I don't know that we'd be nearly as interested as some may think, especially after the Hernandez situation.

I agree with you that we should be open to looking at ANY player who proves value as it pertains to talent upgrade + the salary cap, but I also think some will be off the list entirely, and I wonder if Britt may be one of those guys.

I agree with all your comments.

I appreciate what you're saying, mgteich; however, I disagree that he sounds like "Belichick's type of player." I believe that he sounds nothing like a Belichick type player.

First of all, one needs to have a good amount of intelligence, to pick up our system and all of its finer nuances. All 11 players need to know the responsibility of those other players (to some level, obviously this changes with the OL). Our WRs need to see the same thing as Brady, read pre-snaps, shifts, be able to run the entire route tree, etc. We've seen a ton of much better receivers than Kenny Britt fail at this due to not being able to pick it up. I'm not as sure as you are that Britt sounds like this type of guy.

Britt obviously had some type of attitude issues, work ethic problems, etc. I don't know that we'd be nearly as interested as some may think, especially after the Hernandez situation.

I agree with you that we should be open to looking at ANY player who proves value as it pertains to talent upgrade + the salary cap, but I also think some will be off the list entirely, and I wonder if Britt may be one of those guys.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole

Luckily, we have a coach who has is privy to information from past players, coaches, scouts, GMs, etc, so he has the ability to see and hear a lot more to take into account with these personnel decisions that we do.

I think we just have to trust Belichick's thoughts. If he feels that he has the potential to play on a cheap one year deal or something, then I'm sure they'd set things up so that it wouldn't make any difference if he didn't make the 53 man roster. If he's brought in to compete for a spot, then it can't necessarily hurt us too badly, unless he goes out and murders someone. (I kid, I kid)

He definitely has pluses too, I just wonder if he's quite the "lock" that we've been hearing about since early last fall that he'd definitely be coming here, that's all. We just have to let the coach who makes 500k a game make that decision and trust his judgement.

He definitely has pluses too, I just wonder if he's quite the "lock" that we've been hearing about since early last fall that he'd definitely be coming here, that's all.

Who was saying that..just curious? If he comes here..it better be for very cheap.

With his horrid year..not sure i believe this at all:

I am going to be a No. 1 receiver somewhere else if I am not here next year, and that is guaranteed,” Britt said, via the Tennessean. ‘I am definitely going to be a receiver that makes plays on Sundays and makes something happen for a team.”

If we are going to go for a WR..i would rather give picks away for a proven star like Fitzgerald.

Who was saying that..just curious? If he comes here..it better be for very cheap.

With his horrid year..not sure i believe this at all.

There were at least a decent handful who were talking about him being on our radar for this year. I don't remember if it was in the summer, or the fall, but my guess is that once he was benched for TEN, it was the fall.

They thought that he'd be in the same vein as Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Talib, etc due to the fact that he had been given up on and still had a lot to offer. I have heard that he was a "typical Belichickian" type signing many times in the past 4-5 months or so.

If we are going to go for a WR..i would rather give picks away for a proven star like Fitzgerald.

The issue with those highly paid "franchise" WRs is the salary cap. Fitzgerald has like a 15m dollar cap hit for 2014, and even if he restructured he'd still be looking for 10m or so, which makes him virtually impossible to try and bring in.

On top of that, like you said, it costs draft picks, and high ones at that. ARZ also paid him a bonus recently of double digit millions, so they obviously have plans to keep him.

I realize that you were using him as nothing more than an example, but I can't think of too many good, proven WRs who wouldn't cost in the range of 10m+. I don't know of any teams who have been proven winners on a consistent basis by paying both their QB/WR top dollar like that, although I imagine that we'll be seeing Denver as an example this year or next with Decker and D.Thomas.

What is the fascination with Kenny Britt? Even fantasy footballers salivate over this guy. All year I kept seeing people taking flyers on Kenny Britt. Any week now he's going to break out.

He was like the 4th or 5th receiver on the Titans. Why are people obsessed with this guy?

Aaron Dobson as a rookie looked 10x better then Britt did. I'm all set wasting money on an average/below average player.

Unless they all get hurt again next season, I see no reason why our WR core won't be better.

If Dobson can stay healthy and get on the same page as Brady, he got the tools we all want in a outside receiver.

After the success of other 2010 Florida draft picks we’ve had onboard over the past 3-4 seasons how could we pass on Riley Cooper?

Hernandez
Spikes
Cunningham
Tebow

ontrol. Seriously guys r we this desparate for a true complete wr? That were discussing taking chances n hoping for britt. Dont get me wrong im all for it cuz our offense is desperate for a true no. 1wr.
This is bills fault. For his many mistakes n arrogance. Yes he is a great schemer. But his system cant overcome lack of speed n talent at key positions. He gets to cute for his n our own good. I mean really who goes after midget slot guys as his #1wr? Any other great offense edelman,amendola, n welker to are #3wr". Atlanta denver, rams,arizona of 08,mannings colts, and any other.
However our coach gets cute n makes a no.3 a #1. He will throw a 50yr old out there at mlb or center as long as he knows his scheme. Seau was called outa retirement at 40+ countless times. And its due to poor drafting and lack of desire to coach up a great raw talent into his scheme. Also he drafts based more on the schemes a player knows n how coached up he already is than how talented a prospect is and his potential.
Do u think he would have traded up to draft Hightower had he not been coached up in sabans alabama defense? NOWAY! Had he came from Cal or texas.
What is there 4or5 lbs from that draft far outperforming him? Not including n UDA Burfict! This is getting rediculous.

ontrol. Seriously guys r we this desparate for a true complete wr? That were discussing taking chances n hoping for britt. Dont get me wrong im all for it cuz our offense is desperate for a true no. 1wr.
This is bills fault. For his many mistakes n arrogance. Yes he is a great schemer. But his system cant overcome lack of speed n talent at key positions. He gets to cute for his n our own good. I mean really who goes after midget slot guys as his #1wr? Any other great offense edelman,amendola, n welker to are #3wr". Atlanta denver, rams,arizona of 08,mannings colts, and any other.
However our coach gets cute n makes a no.3 a #1. He will throw a 50yr old out there at mlb or center as long as he knows his scheme. Seau was called outa retirement at 40+ countless times. And its due to poor drafting and lack of desire to coach up a great raw talent into his scheme. Also he drafts based more on the schemes a player knows n how coached up he already is than how talented a prospect is and his potential.
Do u think he would have traded up to draft Hightower had he not been coached up in sabans alabama defense? NOWAY! Had he came from Cal or texas.
What is there 4or5 lbs from that draft far outperforming him? Not including n UDA Burfict! This is getting rediculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back