PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Serious draft thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
these are the threds i love because they have well thought out opinions (good or bad) and there is no. "we're doomed" or "we're going 16/0". Thanks for the read and i am pretty excited to see how the injured guys from last year and the new picks from this year evolve pre season.

Gronkowski - Leaving aside the uncertainty of his back health, he was the most balanced TE in the draft. With his size he not far from legendary blocking TE Kyle Brady (before NE signed him anyway), and he still has some straightline speed to stretch the seam.

Hernandez - Leaving aside some character questions reported before the draft, and questions about his ability to block, he's got excellent hands, and he's considered one of the best receivers (wide or otherwise) at YAC. Which veteran NE receiver is known for his YAC?

Before the draft, both of these guys had enough negatives for me to say I wouldn't want to draft them if I was calling the shots for NE. To analyze them post-draft, you first go to the bottom line question BB askes of every prospect - what do they do well? Then figure out how NE can use that to make the team better.

McCourty - he's physical, fast, quick, disciplined, adjusts quickly on the fly, and makes big plays on Special Teams too.

Cunningham - He doesn't quit and makes plays on effort in the toughest college football conference. He's also disciplined in his assignment, and balanced in rush vs. run.

Spikes - I don't know that he's any better at stacking and shedding blockers then Mayo or Guyton, but he is a very instinctive LB who makes big plays in all three phases - run, coverage, and blitz.

Price - I don't have an answer for him yet.

Mesko - Big leg, cold weather Punter, he has soccer and rugby experience to draw from, beyond that I don't know.

Larsen - He's a quick learner under Tom O'Brien, nasty like the former DL he was, strong, and he was improving the entire time since he switched to offense.

Welch - Swing Tackle in the SEC.

Deadrick - He played well in Saban's version of the NE defense while in the SEC, strong enough to fill in for Cody, mean & tough enough to play the same week he was shot. You don't play for Saban if you're undisciplined in your assignments.

Weston - Reportedly played well in rotation for SEC tough guys Georgia, perhaps we'll learn more as things progress.

Robinson - Accurate, mobile, decent arm strength, played at a fairly high level, had the mental toughness to work through the news scandal that he got caught in a couple years ago.

I may have had other prospects I liked better, I have some concerns about some aspects of these kids, but for those I know a bit about, they have positives which the NE coaches can work with to complement the rest of the team.

Gronkowski - Leaving aside the uncertainty of his back health, he was the most balanced TE in the draft. With his size he not far from legendary blocking TE Kyle Brady (before NE signed him anyway), and he still has some straightline speed to stretch the seam.

Hernandez - Leaving aside some character questions reported before the draft, and questions about his ability to block, he's got excellent hands, and he's considered one of the best receivers (wide or otherwise) at YAC. Which veteran NE receiver is known for his YAC?

Before the draft, both of these guys had enough negatives for me to say I wouldn't want to draft them if I was calling the shots for NE. To analyze them post-draft, you first go to the bottom line question BB askes of every prospect - what do they do well? Then figure out how NE can use that to make the team better.

McCourty - he's physical, fast, quick, disciplined, adjusts quickly on the fly, and makes big plays on Special Teams too.

Cunningham - He doesn't quit and makes plays on effort in the toughest college football conference. He's also disciplined in his assignment, and balanced in rush vs. run.

Spikes - I don't know that he's any better at stacking and shedding blockers then Mayo or Guyton, but he is a very instinctive LB who makes big plays in all three phases - run, coverage, and blitz.

Price - I don't have an answer for him yet.

Mesko - Big leg, cold weather Punter, he has soccer and rugby experience to draw from, beyond that I don't know.

Larsen - He's a quick learner under Tom O'Brien, nasty like the former DL he was, strong, and he was improving the entire time since he switched to offense.

Welch - Swing Tackle in the SEC.

Deadrick - He played well in Saban's version of the NE defense while in the SEC, strong enough to fill in for Cody, mean & tough enough to play the same week he was shot. You don't play for Saban if you're undisciplined in your assignments.

Weston - Reportedly played well in rotation for SEC tough guys Georgia, perhaps we'll learn more as things progress.

Robinson - Accurate, mobile, decent arm strength, played at a fairly high level, had the mental toughness to work through the news scandal that he got caught in a couple years ago.

I may have had other prospects I liked better, I have some concerns about some aspects of these kids, but for those I know a bit about, they have positives which the NE coaches can work with to complement the rest of the team.

The more I learn and see of Price, the more his stock rises in my book. This is one tough son of a *****. Not afraid of contact, not afraid to successfully block a DE or LB, gets up after a nasty hit, does not give up on bad throws (dives for them). Demonstrates good route running, YAC, YPC, in a variety of circumstances. Does not shy away from impending hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents