PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Senior Bowl: Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget the "Venus Butterfly".

Oops, wrong set of "techniques". My bad. :D

Some of these techniques were shunned in football circles for years, but have gained popularity more recently with west coast programs.

Gaining weight usually negatively affects players quickness.

But wouldn't less-than-maximum quickness be less of an issue at DE than at OLB?

Besides, unless the kid has a bit of a beer gut, dropping 10+ lbs might sap strength more than gaining 10+ lbs would lose quickness, esp. on a 6'5" frame.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing his agility drills at the Combine; both our questions might be answered there. Edit: Is he invited?

Last edited:
HercRock wins in a TKO. :camera:

Besides, unless the kid has a bit of a beer gut, dropping 10+ lbs might sap strength more than gaining 10+ lbs would lose quickness, esp. on a 6'5" frame.

A loss in mass, even muscle mass, doesn't necessarily mean the person won't be as strong. The ability to exert force has to do a far more with neurological efficiency as opposed to muscle mass. That can be achieved through proper training IF they train properly, which isn't necessarily the case even among NFL players.

If NE doesn't move up for McClain, I'm convinced that Norwood would be a perfect fit for the Mike next to Mayo. A gap pressure was a hallmark of the championship defenses and this dude looks like he can also split some serious plastic.

If NE doesn't move up for McClain, I'm convinced that Norwood would be a perfect fit for the Mike next to Mayo. A gap pressure was a hallmark of the championship defenses and this dude looks like he can also split some serious plastic.

I'm less convinced about Norwood than I used to be. I still like him, but he didn't impress me as much as I expected at the Senior Bowl. You're probably right, but I'm not 100% sure like I used to be that he's the next best option after McClain.

Do you think Brandon Graham is capable of moving to SILB? And do you think that AJ Edds can bulk up enough to play the position effectively?

I'm less convinced about Norwood than I used to be. I still like him, but he didn't impress me as much as I expected at the Senior Bowl. You're probably right, but I'm not 100% sure like I used to be that he's the next best option after McClain.

Do you think Brandon Graham is capable of moving to SILB? And do you think that AJ Edds can bulk up enough to play the position effectively?

I had my doubts, but the more I watch the DVR of the practices, the more I believe his attributes correlate to the 34 Mike. Likely more so than I felt about English last year.

When I look at Graham, I see a fine 43 weakside end. When I watch his technique, his shedding is largely predicated upon his rip move. The rip is rarely used inside, and is largely effective because of similar height. He has a decent bull, but he doesn't set it up as well as he could. Against the run, he does need a plant backstep to square against a downblock. I just don't think it correlates well to the position. Again, I think that he is going to be a fine player, just not a great fit schematically.

Towards Edds, I haven't seen enough of him to make a definitive call. However, I don't think that his frame can support the additional weight while maintaining the first step burst required to play the position. His technique is sound, his desire is linebacker, and he seems like a mean SOB. If his frame can handle the weight, I think he would be a fine fit. It's just when I see Edds, I see a highly physical 43 Mike or Sam. I see a lot of Ben Leber in him. When you look for a 34 Mike, height can be a detriment. It is like comparing a nose to a five tech. Leverage plays a greater role inside, and length and extention is more important outside. Somewhere in the 6' to 6'2 range is ideal for a 34 mike. When you get outside of that, you loose that tightly coiled explosive stockyness, and sacrifice significant pad height advantage. Another player I really like, just doesn't seem to have the frame for the position.

Last edited:
I had my doubts, but the more I watch the DVR of the practices, the more I believe his attributes correlate to the 34 Mike. Likely more so than I felt about English last year.

When I look at Graham, I see a fine 43 weakside end. When I watch his technique, his shedding is largely predicated upon his rip move. The rip is rarely used inside, and is largely effective because of similar height. He has a decent bull, but he doesn't set it up as well as he could. Against the run, he does need a plant backstep to square against a downblock. I just don't think it correlates well to the position. Again, I think that he is going to be a fine player, just not a great fit schematically.

Towards Edds, I haven't seen enough of him to make a definitive call. However, I don't think that his frame can support the additional weight while maintaining the first step burst required to play the position. His technique is sound, his desire is linebacker, and he seems like a mean SOB. If his frame can handle the weight, I think he would be a fine fit. It's just when I see Edds, I see a highly physical 43 Mike or Sam. I see a lot of Ben Leber in him. When you look for a 34 Mike, height can be a detriment. It is like comparing a nose to a five tech. Leverage plays a greater role inside, and length and extention is more important outside. Somewhere in the 6' to 6'2 range is ideal for a 34 mike. When you get outside of that, you loose that tightly coiled explosive stockyness, and sacrifice significant pad height advantage. Another player I really like, just doesn't seem to have the frame for the position.

Good stuff Jays.

To add to what Jays said, I believe Norwood would be a work in progress inside, but could develop into a Bruschi-like force there. His edge rush gives you something to work with during the transition. He really needs to get back to using his hands to engage the blockers - damn whomever was coaching him wrong.

Edds is best suited outside in a 4-3, he'd be another Mayo.

see I think Edds would do fine next to mayo as a ilb. his weight is a big question mark but I think he would be able to play that position and play it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick