PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Senior Bowl: Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edelman -> Kerry Meier? (don't think hes nearly as quick)
Vollmer -> Any similar this year? (I know its still early, hell what was his status before the draft?)

In shorts, even Welker isn't as quick as Edelman. There might be five or so guys in the NFL right now as quick as Edelman. Kerry Meier may end up my 7th round binky, b/c he's a QB-to-WR conversion already in progress. :D

As far as Mt. Vollmer goes, the nearest comparison I can think of is Jared Veldheer, who had neither the opponents nor the pedigree that Vollmer had (Vollmer was LT for the #1 offense in Div IA in 2008).

Wednesday North practice notes from Scott Wright at NFLdraftcountdown:

- "After an eye-opening performance yesterday Arkansas State DE Alex Carrington stood out again. In fact, one of the highlights of the morning was when Carrington plowed over Shawn Lauvao. That play drew a huge reaction from his teammates and onlookers. New addition Thomas Welch got a rude welcome in his first practice when Carrington gave him the same treatment. Needless to say Carrington is extremely powerful and aggressive. Is Carrington this year’s Lawrence Sidbury?"

- "Idaho OG Mike Iupati, who is finally starting to get the recognition he deserves. I’ve been extremely high on Iupati for months and now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Coming into this week Iupati was a potential first rounder but based on the way he has played in Mobile 'potential' could soon become 'sure-fire'."

- "Michigan DE Brandon Graham is tenacious and has been one of the best players at this year’s game. He may lack the ideal height and speed you look for Graham is an outstanding football player and that has been quite evident all week long."

- "Murray State DE Austen Lane struggled to get off of blocks and required repeated instruction from the coaching staff."

Draft Countdown's Senior Bowl Coverage - 1/27/10 North Practice Report

Some notes from TFYdraft on Wednesday North practice:

- DE Alex Carrington: "Just continues to look solid all around. His has attacked offensive linemen aggressively. He has tremendous power. Today, Shawn Lauvao became his victim as Carrington blew through and over the blocker with the authority one should expect of a penetrator running a proper stunt. Carrington looks more like a potential 5 technique for 34 based teams with his spectacular play.

Could someone explain this '5-technique' to me?

Could someone explain this '5-technique' to me?

There are at least 8 different techniques known to be used in the dark arts of the trenches. This is one of the more advanced. The '5-technique' is a multi-pronged attack, wherein five different moves--any combination of jabs, ducks, weaves, darts, slides, shimmies, etc--are used at once. If successful, the 5-technique may do great harm to opponents' backfields. It is a very difficult technique to master.

Needless to say, 1-techniques abound even in high school and few in the game's history have ever been able to master the 8 technique--this is often attributed to the lack of 9 and 11 step drops that would give a defender time to pull off eight moves. As most lineman coming into the league will have, at best, a shimmy, a weave, a jab, and a dart, coming up with four other moves in the three seconds it takes before the quarterman rids himself of the pill is near impossible. So a legitimate 5-technique is a good find. I only hope he can jab and dart--unlike the inept "slide, shimmy, slide" debacles that we fans old enough to remember them were forced to watch. Jazz it up, we'd say! Jab!

Anyway, that's my understanding of it. My friend Elmer says it has something to do with lining one's nose on the outside shoulder of the tackle for leverage purposes, but I can never understand his made up jargon. He is not as avid a follower of the Sunday ritual as I.

Last edited:
There are at least 8 different techniques known to be used in the dark arts of the trenches. This is one of the more advanced. The '5-technique' is a multi-pronged attack, wherein five different moves--any combination of jabs, ducks, weaves, darts, slides, shimmies, etc--are used at once. If successful, the 5-technique may do great harm to opponents' backfields. It is a very difficult technique to master.

Needless to say, 1-techniques abound even in high school and few in the game's history have ever been able to master the 8 technique--this is often attributed to the lack of 9 and 11 step drops that would give a defender time to pull off eight moves. As most lineman coming into the league will have, at best, a shimmy, a weave, a jab, and a dart, coming up with four other moves in the three seconds it takes before the quarterman rids himself of the pill is near impossible. So a legitimate 5-technique is a good find. I only hope he can jab and dart--unlike the inept "slide, shimmy, slide" debacles that we fans old enough to remember them were forced to watch. Jazz it up, we'd say! Jab!

Anyway, that's my understanding of it. My friend Elmer says it has something to do with lining one's nose on the outside shoulder of the tackle for leverage purposes, but I can never understand his made up jargon. He is not as avid a follower of the Sunday ritual as I.

This is correct....It is all about alignment....

Why not instead have him gain ten pounds and play him at DE as Jarvis' (and dare I say Seymour's?) replacement? He could also prob. play 4-3 DT in passing situations.

Gaining weight usually negatively affects players quickness.

That was awesome.

Some notes from TFYdraft on Wednesday South practice:

- RB/WR Dexter McCluster: "In a term- wow! Showed amazing quickness and burst. Got a rise from scouts after the hole was seemingly closing up then out of nowhere McCluster popped out of the pile."

- OG Mike Johnson: "Played with wide base and was caught leaning on defenders too often. As a result he fell off numerous assignments. He does have very strong hands once he latches on to an opponent."

- DT Terrance Cody: "It is easy to know what to expect of Cody at this point. He is tough to handle one on one by his size. He can reestablish the line of scrimmage when blocked by a single lineman. He demands a double. He is not much of a pass rusher, though he did attempt to throw a move or two in there during individual drills."

- DT Dan Williams: "Very tough to handle in the middle. He fires off the ball low and hard consistently. He guts under offensive linemen’s pads and often overpowers. He can eat up double teams successfully."

- LB Eric Norwood: "Put forth a very solid effort in pass rush drills, consistently beating his man in 1 on 1 drills. He didn’t fare as well in coverage however, where he was caught a step behind on more than one occasion."

- S Taylor Mays: "Once again struggled. Looked terrible in coverage drills. Really struggled pedaling in reverse and cannot drive out of his plant. He rarely made any plays on the action if the pass catcher was just a few feet in front of him."

Senior Bowl: South Practice Page

I am crazy for McCluster. I know his weight is a problem, very slight build but he is fast, elusive and tough. Definitely a football player. WR, slot, 3rd down back, a Darren Sproles.

Thanks Herc :rocker:

Wednesday practice notes from Wes Bunting at National Football Post:

- "One prospect who’s flying under the radar on the North squad is Iowa linebacker A.J. Edds, who is simply Mr. Dependable on defense. He possesses good size, showcases great instincts inside and knows how to play off blocks and find the football. He was around the action all day, finishing off practice with a big tackle inside and then was asked to long snap after the session ended. He’ll never be a star in the league but is a versatile guy you can win with in the NFL."

- "There’s no denying that Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon has some natural leadership qualities and can close on the football sideline to sideline. However, I still worry about his ability to hold up at the line as he too often gets washed out of plays inside. He does a nice job locating the ball quickly and can sidestep opposing linemen in space, but when he’s asked to play in tight quarters, the guy isn’t nearly as effective."

- "Arkansas State DE Alex Carrington again displayed impressive power on contact during one-on-one drills this morning, generating a lot of explosion from his lower half and consistently jarring opposing lineman into the backfield."

- "One guy to keep an eye on is Murray State DE Austen Lane. He’s a tall, with long arms and impressive lateral suddenness off the edge for his size. He’s still learning how to use his hands and play with more leverage, but with some time, Lane looks like he could develop into an effective pass rusher."

- "Finally, Michigan DE Brandon Graham has been one of the real standouts here, using his hands and lateral suddenness to consistently sidestep opposing linemen and accelerate around the edge. He makes everything look easy and is one of the most NFL-ready prospects at this year’s Senior Bowl."

Senior Bowl: Day 3 impressions | National Football Post

Wednesday winners and losers from GBN:

- "Best player on the field on either team today was Penn State DT Jared Odrick who spent most of the North’s full scrimmage camped out in the offensive backfield where he completely blew up as many as three plays. Odrick is a rangy 300-plus pounder with a very quick first step and an excellent swim move. Indeed, Odrick may stat to draw some serious attention as a 3-4 DE by teams running that scheme which would further inflate his value. The 6-5 Odrick, though, has a tendency at times to come off the snap too high and needs to concentrate on keeping his pads low. Unfortunately, Odrick never got to go one-on-one with Idaho OG Mike Iupati over the course of the week which would have been worth the price of admission."

- "Iupati had anther strong day on Wednesday to further cement his claim as the top OG prospect in the 2010 draft class. And as has been his custom this week, Iupati also got some snaps at RT, although he was as dominating on the outside as he was this week inside where he never allowed much penetration at all. In particular, Iupati does not appear to plant all that well coming out of his backpeddle when lining up outside and tends to lose balance and power when trying to change direction. However, that appears to be something that likely could be corrected with some sound coaching at the next level."

- "No player raised the level of their play more today than Clemson WR Jacoby Ford, who looked like a track guy struggling to translate his speed to the game earlier, but was flying around the field on Wednesday. In particular, Ford was able to use his quickness and initial explosion to get off the line of scrimmage and turned in the highlight reel play of the day when he outraced star Boise State CB Kyle Wilson for a deep completion."

Great Blue North Draft Report

Wednesday South practice notes from Scott Wright at NFLdraftcountdown:

- "South Carolina OLB Eric Norwood excelled as a pass rusher today, but that really wasn’t unexpected. Norwood was able to elude a John Conner block in drills then later he got to the quarterback in 11-on-11’s. On the downside Norwood really struggled in coverage and simply couldn’t keep up with USC TE Anthony McCoy."

- "USC S Taylor Mays broke up a pass in the endzone during 7-on-7’s today. In another play Mays allowed a catch but reached in to strip the ball immediately afterwards. The big concern is still the instincts and awareness and that is something I will be paying very close attention to while watching the game."

- "Miami (FL) TE Jimmy Graham showed above average speed but definitely needs to work on his route running as he had a tendency to round them off."

- "Alabama NT Terrence Cody just imposes his will, showing the ability to hold his ground and push blockers back on the bullrush."

- "Jack-of-All-Trades Dexter McCluster of Ole Miss got some work as a Wildcat Quarterback today after also playing running back and wide receiver this week. McCluster had another nice day and is one of the stars of the 2010 Senior Bowl."

- "South Florida DE George Selvie continues to impress in Mobile. Today he fired off the snap and looked explosive. At one point he put Chris Scott on his rear-end."

- "Florida State S Myron Rolle did a nice job in coverage today, using his size to keep the receiver positioned against the sideline. He also has much better range than expected. Rolle has definitely been one of this week’s biggest surprises!"

Draft Countdown's Senior Bowl Coverage - 1/27/10 South Practice Report

Would anyone be surprised if we traded two #2s to get into the first round and with our two #1s took Odrick and Iupati ?

Getting a DE and OL seems like a very "Belichick" thing to do and although I realize I just repeated hot names from this week I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we did something like that.

Just for curiosity's sake, is the talk out there still pretty sour on Tebow (aside from his top notch coachability)?

Would anyone be surprised if we traded two #2s to get into the first round and with our two #1s took Odrick and Iupati ?

Getting a DE and OL seems like a very "Belichick" thing to do and although I realize I just repeated hot names from this week I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we did something like that.
I personally would just keep all three of the 2nd round picks. Everybody can't go 1st round so some impact players are bound to fall.

I'd be fine with the trade up, though I personally prefer other targets.

I personally would just keep all three of the 2nd round picks. Everybody can't go 1st round so some impact players are bound to fall.
I would too, the depth of this draft seems like it is legit and will maintain itself through April - it just strikes me, though, that these are a couple of players Belichick might find appealing given the #1s he's spent on DL in the past, spending a #1 on an OG (Mankins) and how RG is looking like it might need a real solution starting this year.

Fantastic analysis....I heard that there was a ninth technique too - the reacharound!

Fantastic analysis....I heard that there was a ninth technique too - the reacharound!

Don't forget the "Venus Butterfly".

Oops, wrong set of "techniques". My bad. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes