PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Official League Shill on McCann's Deflategate class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you also hate Belichick and Brady as liars? They say diplomatic things they don't mean all the time ... and I don't have a problem with that at all.

You're right, I don't have a problem with coaches and players not giving opponents bulletin board material, and I don't in any way equate that to the media giving each other free passes on writing and spouting lies, and I absolutely believe that's a big reason they continue to do so with impunity and faux scandals like deflategate get traction. The fact that Mortenson and ESPN have been getting free passes from their colleagues while spreading lies about Belichick, Brady, and the Patriots is the reason they ended up with the sanctions they did. Imo the media has a responsibility to fact check, search for the truth, and call out those who are using their platforms to spread lies and further agendas, and King and others who feel that it is more important to maintain their collegial relationships than getting to the truth are the reason the media can no longer be trusted on any issue.

So you don't think journalists have a responsibility to be honest?

Interesting.

This wasn't King acting in his journalistic capacity.

To take the point to an extreme -- if his wife asks him "Honey, how do I look in this dress?", do you think he has to answer honestly because he's a journalist?

To take the point to an extreme -- if his wife asks him "Honey, how do I look in this dress?", do you think he has to answer honestly because he's a journalist?
That analogy is ludicrous.

News in America today is an entertainment product, not a source of information. If you go with that thought in mind, all of this makes a lot more sense.

It's still stupid...

That's an idiotic analogy, any time Peter King is commenting on the journalistic efforts of another media member he is acting in a journalistic capacity. These guys are writing lies and covering for each other and they should lose their media passed for it. And given the fact that you have repeatedly told us about your professional writing that's a really low bar you have set. If Peter King was commenting on Chris Mortenson's dress you would have an analogy.

That's an idiotic analogy, any time Peter King is commenting on the journalistic efforts of another media member he is acting in a journalistic capacity. These guys are writing lies and covering for each other and they should lose their media passed for it. And given the fact that you have repeatedly told us about your professional writing that's a really low bar you have set. If Peter King was commenting on Chris Mortenson's dress you would have an analogy.

1. I'm about as outspoken as they come, but even I will say different things in different venues.

2. What I bolded is just wrong.

3. Notice that King did NOT say Mort did everything right. Rather, he engaged in big fat Belichickian duck, along the lines of "Do you think the refs blew that call?" "Well, I'm sure everybody has things they'd like to take back, but it's not my role to answer that question."

News in America today is an entertainment product, not a source of information. If you go with that thought in mind, all of this makes a lot more sense.

It's still stupid...
I wonder how many people think the media reports the news as facts? My guess is many think they are bound by having to have sources/truth to back up their facts. Ask the same group if the media put stories with bias and they'll probably all agree.

Though, it seems all Patriot hated nonsense is all supported by anonymous sources and we never have any means of knowing if it's true or not. Most of it probably is, but protecting people whoi knowing lie seems wrong. then again, having a federal judge call you a liar seems wrong too, but that same group looks away because the story gets squashed quickly...

so, where does that lead us...no clue, but I only know there is an organized approach the NFL* takes with the media and the bias is really tied to the money the game brings in. Plus, the media gets to double down on all the hatred and people just keep eating it up. Seems unfair small minded people earn a good living that way...

1. I'm about as outspoken as they come, but even I will say different things in different venues.

3. Notice that King did NOT say Mort did everything right. Rather, he engaged in big fat Belichickian duck, along the lines of "Do you think the refs blew that call?" "Well, I'm sure everybody has things they'd like to take back, but it's not my role to answer that question."

Belichick is saying nothing to give opponents as little as possible, King is giving credence to a liar, there is a huge difference and acting like it's really nothing is bullsh.t, had the people who matter in sports media called bullsh.t from the start this never would have happened, and their complicity in it and willingness to give free passes to their colleagues created a context where anyone could throw any sh.t they wanted at the wall with no fear of getting called on it. You can call that as diplomatic as you want, I call it gutless pandering to go along and get along.

Btw- fencer, if you want to claim something is wrong then back it up with something more than your say so.

That is one of the things that is very wrong with media. They lack the check and balance of professional ethical standard being considered more important than some sort of professional brotherhood.

For anyone that has heard of the thine blue line (regarding police code of not 'ratting' on another police), media has the thin black&white line. Media is largely a monolith and, except in rare and very deep ideological differences, they will not call out each other out for falsehoods-lies-gross errors (if they do it is a passing byline that is terse, shortlived and a tiny fraction of the propagation). Mort is the perfect example. The huge story, based on a lie, is widely distributed through media channels. When it is exposed as a lie it gets little in the way of correction fanfare, certainly a very think distribution of it. But most important is very very few of the professionals of this industry take Mort to task in a loud way using the power of their medium. See the thin black&white line is more important than ethics/standards. But just like a cop who shares some culpability for staying silent when another cop abuses their position, King shares culpability. He has proved his professional ethics are very soft in favor of professional courtesy.

More cord cutting = putting the Morts and Kings (and a whole lot more in this cesspool industry) into a position of having a lesser and lesser megaphone and compensation. Can't get here soon enough....

Given the opportunity to do a season long study of the effect of weather and games on NFL Footballs, the NFL is content with their "science" and their narrative.. instead the NFL will spot check footballs PSI throughout the season, and then not report what they have found.

King, like most journalists today, will play the middle of this controversy and try to appease everyone..

This is a Jack Nicholson moment..

2600147.jpg

Do you also hate Belichick and Brady as liars? They say diplomatic things they don't mean all the time ... and I don't have a problem with that at all.

You've got to be kidding.

01 ~ First off: Suggesting that Coach Belichick and Brady are lying when they express Respect for their Opponents is itself disgustingly dishonest. They clearly understand as well as anyone does that the line between Dominance and Mediocrity is far thinner than most seem to think: Even the worst Team in the League is comprised of some of the best Players in the World, and the adage that any Team can beat any other Team on a given Sunday has been proven over and over again. Coach Belichick, Brady, and this Team have quite evidently approached every Game for the last 15 Years with a Super Bowl level of Intensity, Focus, and Preparation simply because they genuinely respect the capabilities of other Teams, and therefore fully understand the dire Consequences of failing to sustain that level of Intensity and Preparation.

02 ~ But drawing such a comparison between FootBall and Journalism is ludicrous in the first place. FootBall is a means ~ as are all Sports, though FootBall, especially ~ of satisfying our Primal Instinct to Make War on our Rivals with a minimum of Bloodshed. And all War ~ as Sun Tzu actually did write, unlike that "every Battle is won before it's fought" sewage that he never wrote ~ is Deception. One does not divulge any more Information than one has to to one's Foes, unless one is a drooling Idiot. That should be obvious.

03 ~ Journalists, on the other hand, have a far different Responsibility, though many vermin ignore it: Truth. Whereas the protection of Secrets is a vital part of Coach Belichick's and Tom Brady's Jobs, the polar opposite is true of Journalists: The core Purpose of Journalism ~ that which has rendered a few of its members genuinely Noble over the Years ~ is to investigate, seek out, and divulge News. To share Opinions, by all means, and to do so, hopefully, in an entertaining and engaging way...But above all to seek out the Truth, and to share it with the Public, loudly and proudly. A real Journalist ferrets out Liars and Thieves and exposes their rancid Infamy to the Public so that we can all see the Truth. That, my friends...is Journalism.

The fact that most members of the Media are Whores who abjure this Sacred Responsibility for Money and Power makes them no less despicable...nor the Responsibility they abjure any less Sacred.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for Fencer to tell us why McCann brought Peter King to his class? The only explanation he has given so far is that he brought him in to give his class glib non answers about what wonderful guys his colleagues are rather than answer what their roles and responsibilities are, which is what I believe McCann brought him in to speak on.

To date only a few in the media have been willing to call out Mortenson for the lies he published and never took responsibility for. Instead of doing the right thing and taking responsibility for publishing a phoney news story that ignited a non issue into a national scandal Mortenson has protected the liars in the league office who deliberately fed him false information, and instead of his colleagues calling him on a serious breach of ethics they have almost to a person cheered him and touted his professionalism. Imo it is exactly that kind of environment that allows media of every ilk to publish lies and feed stories with unaccountable information potrayed as fact and truth when In reality it is nothing more than agenda driven falsehoods, half truths, and opinion that fits neatly into the narrative that drives their story. While seeking to avoid offending his colleague by covering for him King did a disservice to McCanns class and unwittingly reinforced the argument that the media no longer has any accountability and simply cannot be trusted.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for Fencer to tell us why McCann brought Peter King to his class? The only explanation he has given so far

Dude, you're being an ass.

My claim is that McCann brought King in as a representative of sports media, you apparently believe he was brought in for some other reason but you can't seem to articulate what that is.

When I was a stock analyst, I gave a couple of talks to a B-school class on stock analysis. You could say I was there as a representative of the stock analyst profession, but I was NOT doing stock analysis during the class.

Similarly, King was not doing journalism during McCann's class.

Dude, you're being an ass.

Lol, still waiting for you to tell us why McCann brought King into his class? According to you it wasn't for his take on the media's role and responsibilities in deflategate, when I know for a fact that's exactly why he brought him on because I listened to McCann tell Dale and Holley that's what his class was going to be about, the various roles of those entities in the faux scandal that was deflategate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST