PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Condi Rice for NFL Commissioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rice, how anyone feels individually about her politics shouldn't be all that relevant. At a minimum, I hope we could all agree that she has a lot of experience in leadership positions outside of the NFL, she commands respect, and she's a generally intelligent and capable person who would have some perspective on NFL non-issues from having actually operated in the real world and dealt with real issues. At a minimum, that would make her an enormous improvement over Goodell.

BradyFTW, I agree, if she was hired as NFL Commissioner I don't see how her politics are relevant unless the NFL plans to invade Mexico (considering the events of the last year, I wouldn't put it past them).

Last Thursday I had suggested her as a Commissioner candidate on another thread, and was about 80% serious, citing her academic awards as a Professor, being appointed the youngest Provost ever at Stanford University, her work with crises as Secretary of State and National Security Advisor, her work on the College Playoff committee as described at Grantland:
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ral-choice-college-football-playoff-committee
And, about 20% of my reasons were tongue in cheek, I suggested that Birmingham Alabama based Professors (she grew up here) should stick together, and as a concert level pianist she could play the opening to Monday night football herself.

Most of this thread has been some perfectly interesting conversations on HP and politics that were interesting to read but IMHO not particularly pertinent to her candidacy as NFL commissioner. Two points that WERE relevant were that i) she hasn't run a business; and ii) she isn't a lawyer. Both are excellent points.

I figure that between her stints as Provost, Secretary of State, and National Security Advisor, she has probably learned plenty of law on the job, but that isn't really the same as being a lawyer trained in labor law, that was a good point.

With regard to running a business, she has run a major university which is a business (anyone who doesn't think a university is a business should stay away from academia), but admittedly she has never tun a major corporation, another good point.

Nevertheless, as you say, I can't see how she could be anything but a gigantic improvement over Goodell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe