PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Condi Rice for NFL Commissioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not talking about stock prices. I'm talking about the "feel" of the company in my interactions with them in various eras. I'm also talking about the spin-off of HP's original businesses, via Agilent. HP went from being an iconic, always-admirable company to just another computer maker, in an era when computers were ever more becoming commodities.

I've been dealing with HP off an on for 20 years and they have always been screwed up.

Since we're mixing football and politics, did anyone hear Maobama taking a shot at Brady today for needing a union. Isn't it the union that put him in that position?

Since we're mixing football and politics, did anyone hear Maobama taking a shot at Brady today for needing a union. Isn't it the union that put him in that position?
You have a strange definition of "taking a shot at" someone. On a holiday that celebrates unions, he was using Brady as an example of the importance of unions.

Not that I'd expect a coherent, intelligent thought to come from someone who uses the term "Maobama" seriously.

Re: Rice, how anyone feels individually about her politics shouldn't be all that relevant. At a minimum, I hope we could all agree that she has a lot of experience in leadership positions outside of the NFL, she commands respect, and she's a generally intelligent and capable person who would have some perspective on NFL non-issues from having actually operated in the real world and dealt with real issues. At a minimum, that would make her an enormous improvement over Goodell.

Last edited:
I've been dealing with HP off an on for 20 years and they have always been screwed up.

HP took a huge step into the server arena with acquiring Compaq. It was a game changer.

I'm not talking about stock prices. I'm talking about the "feel" of the company in my interactions with them in various eras. I'm also talking about the spin-off of HP's original businesses, via Agilent. HP went from being an iconic, always-admirable company to just another computer maker, in an era when computers were ever more becoming commodities.
From what I've heard the issue was she tried to tell the board computers had become a commodity business and had to be run like one. They didn't agree. She was right, but I don't know that she made the right moves.

Yea hes at the Boston Labor Council thing.

I think he was using it as an example for why unions are important. Even Brady needs a union.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-if-tom-brady-needs-a-union-americans-do-too/

Brady didn't need a union. He needed a lawyer because of the union.

Troy Vincent came from the union didn't he? How did that work out for the players?

The biggest ripoff that we had in local 104 came at the hands of the union in 1975.

I could go on forever with examples, like the Big Dig, another great example of unions at "work"

HP took a huge step into the server arena with acquiring Compaq. It was a game changer.
Yep- The Proliant line. Their server line now is very good.

The reactions by lefties is why politics doesn't belong here on the football side. You people are way too sensitive.

As long as we stick with insults at the righties, everything is peaches and cream. But throw a little jab at Maobama and the insults fly.

Heres one for the uniformed poster who thought that the term Maobama was off base; http://www.nationalreview.com/corne...-quotes-mao-population-control-mark-hemingway

Last edited:
You have me confused with someone who cares what you think.

You cared enough to reply and make extra super sure that I know how little you care, so... that's something.

Troy Vincent came from the union didn't he? How did that work out for the players?

The biggest ripoff that we had in local 104 came at the hands of the union in 1975.

I could go on forever with examples, like the Big Dig, another great example of unions at "work"

This thread is doomed anyway, so why not?

Yes, Brady absolutely needed a union. the players have zero power to contest goodell decisions. Brady's suspension was vacated because the process the commissioner used was against the CBA and workers rights.

None of the facts in the case were even considered.

Having said that, I wish he hadn't gone there, but he got reelected, it's labor day and unions and workers rights have been pinatas for years, so if you don't expect him to take a free shot, you should have run a better candidate against him.

Looks like someone will end up joining BradyFTW's ignore list

Brady's suspension was vacated on the grounds that it violated the CBA that the union negotiated. Without a union, Brady is stuck eating his suspension like Sean Payton had to.

If you're arguing that the union negotiated a ****ty CBA last time around, I totally agree there. But even then, I wouldn't pin that on the current union leadership, really. IMO that's more the fault of the membership itself (the players) being shortsighted as hell and going into negotiations with no leverage, then pressuring the union to make a bad deal when they realized they couldn't make do for even a few months without their paychecks.

Last edited:
Awesome, politics in the main forum.

Almost time to start a Joe Biden for NFL Commissioner thread.

Looks like someone will end up joining BradyFTW's ignore list

Nah, my ignore list is only for people who openly troll, since ignoring them outright is the best way to deprive them of what they're looking for.

If someone's posting stuff that they actually believe for the purpose of having a discussion, it would be pretty lame to put them on ignore IMO, even if I disagree with every opinion they have.

Based on how Brady won his case, having the CBA in place and the NFL disregarding it enabled him to win.

We can discuss for the next 8 months how Brady could have fought his case without citing CBA violations.

I'm glad we don't have to find out.

This thread is doomed anyway, so why not?

Yes, Brady absolutely needed a union. the players have zero power to contest goodell decisions. Brady's suspension was vacated because the process the commissioner used was against the CBA and workers rights.

None of the facts in the case were even considered.
The players have zero power to contest Goodell because of the CBA negotiated- by the union.

The union helps bad players and hurts good ones. If Brady wanted a contract with exception to article 46 or many things he probably could have got it. But a guy like Thompkins doesn't even gave the leverage for negotiating a substance abuse policy.

And no damn celebrity commissioners please! Let's get some dry as dust lawyer/accountant who's going to keep the wheels turning and let the criminal justice system deal with criminals.

Tagliabue would be so welcome right now.
The players have zero power to contest Goodell because of the CBA negotiated- by the union.

The union helps bad players and hurts good ones. If Brady wanted a contract with exception to article 46 or many things he probably could have got it. But a guy like Thompkins doesn't even gave the leverage for negotiating a substance abuse policy.

So, you're saying the union should be stronger? I agree.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Is Kenbrell Thomkins on suspension for drugs?

Awesome, politics in the main forum.

Almost time to start a Joe Biden for NFL Commissioner thread.

Thas would be a party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe