PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Season Ending Injuries around the league

Welker's trying to get down because Manning's led him into a hit. That's what small receivers do. Swearinger is trying to light up Welker. That's what hitting safeties do. I've no gripe with Swearinger. If I'm Welker, though, I might be going code red on Manning.

Does anyone think its a coincidence that Stokely and Collie both had the same problems?

All true, it's too bad though that A, the media is cloaked in a curtain of silence regarding any negative criticism of Sir Manning. And B, it's too bad for Welker that he won't be able to walk away until he can't walk at all anymore. And I say too bad for him, and him alone, because while I don't wish ill upon him, I certainly don't have any sympathy for him either.

Welker's trying to get down because Manning's led him into a hit. That's what small receivers do. Swearinger is trying to light up Welker. That's what hitting safeties do. I've no gripe with Swearinger. If I'm Welker, though, I might be going code red on Manning.

Does anyone think its a coincidence that Stokely and Collie both had the same problems?

Not only NOT a coincidence, but many people here were predicting exactly this with Welker on the other end of Manning's flopping ducks.

Not only NOT a coincidence, but many people here were predicting exactly this with Welker on the other end of Manning's flopping ducks.

I wonder if Manning ever has a nightmare in which he's a receiver catching passes from himself.

I agree with Woolster. Look at the film of the play:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000382903/article/denver-broncos-wes-welker-suffers-concussion

Rodney made a zillion of those kind of hits, and we cheered every one. There was no headhunting on that play, just a hard hit that wouldn't have been flagged in the past.

What's scary to me is that WW suffered a concussion from that hit. It wasn't anything especially horrific, just a good, hard hit, the kind any receiver has to expect to take.

Just watched that video. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Swearinger's hit. In fact, The Receiver led with his own head into the contact.
And to all the poozzies who still feel that hit was excessive, then here's a suggestion:
DON'T THROW THE DAMN BALL INTO A TARGET ONE STEP AWAY FROM A DEFENDER.

DON'T THROW THE DAMN BALL INTO A TARGET ONE STEP AWAY FROM A DEFENDER, when it can be avoided.

I adjusted your post, just a bit. WE need to email that to Peyton, for the sake of his receivers.

I don't think it is sinking in for people that there has been a rule change. That is what you should be mad about. It really doesn't matter if anyone thinks or doesn't think the hit was excessive. The fact of the matter is, it broke the crazy new rule.

I am slightly surprised that not one team put in a waiver claim for McDougle (a third round pick), or to a lesser extent for Evans (a fourth round pick). Tyler Gaffney, by comparison, was the final pick of the sixth round.

My guess is that the move to the IR for McDougle and Evans are unofficially official and won't become officially official until the day of the first cuts to avoid exposing them to waivers.

Backed up here: Dexter McDougle to IR | The Jets Blog (and on the NFL transaction report, it says McDougle to Reserve/Injured but does not say Not Against 90 like it does with anyone who moves from Waived/Injured to Reserve/Injured).

I don't think it is sinking in for people that there has been a rule change. That is what you should be mad about. It really doesn't matter if anyone thinks or doesn't think the hit was excessive. The fact of the matter is, it broke the crazy new rule.

Wrong.. The rule is helmet to helmet. Not Shoulder to helmet..

Wrong.. The rule is helmet to helmet. Not Shoulder to helmet..

Once again. According to the announcers, there has been a 2014 rule CHANGE. It is now ANYTHING to helmet.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap3000000383007/Welker-gets-injured

Please listen to that audio (it is in the last few seconds).

Maybe they are wrong, maybe patfanken is also wrong (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...n-v-denver-welker.1111480/page-3#post-3881008).

If someone has a link to support this, I'm all ears. But until such a time, I'm going with what the current evidence points to.

Last edited:
Once again. According to the announcers, there has been a 2014 rule CHANGE.

Maybe they are wrong, maybe patfanken is also wrong (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...n-v-denver-welker.1111480/page-3#post-3881008).

If someone has a link to support this, I'm all ears. But until such a time, I'm going with what the current evidence points to.

Why do you show us the rule they are referring to since it is YOU claiming that they changed the rule? I know that the NFL changed the rule to be Helmet-to-Helmet hits on a Defenseless receiver. Which Welker was not. At the time Welker was hit, he was a runner AND it was Welker who initiated the contact, not Swearinger.

The fact you are pointing to announcers as your "evidence" when they can barely get the names of players correct says something about the confidence you have in your "evidence".

Major NFL Rule Changes for 2014 Season << CBS Denver

Five rule changes get NFL owners' approval at league meeting | ProFootballTalk

Sorry, but there was no change per yours or the announcers claims.

Last edited:
Ive never been able to find these statistics since catching a piece of it on ESPN where they were doing a head to head of Brady and Manning last year.

Brady was #1 at leading and throwing to his receivers in space where they could avoid hits.
Manning was #31 or so.

Why do you show us the rule they are referring to since it is YOU claiming that they changed the rule? I know that the NFL changed the rule to be Helmet-to-Helmet hits on a Defenseless receiver. Which Welker was not. At the time Welker was hit, he was a runner AND it was Welker who initiated the contact, not Swearinger.

The fact you are pointing to announcers as your "evidence" when they can barely get the names of players correct says something about the confidence you have in your "evidence".

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/08/22/major-nfl-rule-changes-for-2014-season/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-pass-as-nfl-owners-vote-at-league-meeting/

Sorry, but there was no change per yours or the announcers claims.

Why do you have to be such an asshat about things? You childishly lash out at half the members of this board. Is being right so important to you that you think it okay to be completely horrible to all those around you? Your behavior is inexcusable. Grow up.

Once again. According to the announcers, there has been a 2014 rule CHANGE. It is now ANYTHING to helmet.

the issue is that swearinger went in low, and then welker went lower.

if db's are going to get flagged for when WR put their heads into the area where the tackle box was, then expect a lot of broken legs this year because safties are going to have to aim DIRECTLY for the knee to make sure they avoid any chance of touch the head.

Why do you have to be such an asshat about things? You childishly lash out at half the members of this board. Is being right so important to you that you think it okay to be completely horrible to all those around you? Your behavior is inexcusable. Grow up.

The only one being an asshat is you. If I wanted to "lash out" at you, I've have called you a moron, idiot, or dumbass. Guess what? I didn't say any of those things. I just told you to prove your claim. You are the one who needs to grow up because you are the one who copped the attitude when someone questioned your BS on the Hit to the head.

What was Manning thinking? Welker was running into three defenders. There was a 100% certainty that he was going to get "jacked up" on that play if Manning threw it to him. That's on the QB.

@AdamSchefter: Despite Rams QB Sam Bradford thinking his ACL was intact from initial testing, there is real concern that it is not and it could be torn.

@AdamSchefter: Despite Rams QB Sam Bradford thinking his ACL was intact from initial testing, there is real concern that it is not and it could be torn.
That really is a shame if true, the guy puts in a whole offseason trying to come back from a knee injury only the tear it again. I hope it's not true. When healthy he's a decent QB.

What was Manning thinking? Welker was running into three defenders. There was a 100% certainty that he was going to get "jacked up" on that play if Manning threw it to him. That's on the QB.

Manning was thinking about his stat sheet when the game is over, like he always is.

I couldn't argue with this if I wanted to. It is NOT a coincidence, Manning has been ending slot receivers careers for a long time, meanwhile, the Brady led offense has been featuring a #3 guy (the slot receiver) in most offenses as the #1 guy here because of intelligent reads and throws beneficial to the receiver in terms of safety and offensive gains.

I couldn't argue with this if I wanted to. It is NOT a coincidence, Manning has been ending slot receivers careers for a long time, meanwhile, the Brady led offense has been featuring a #3 guy (the slot receiver) in most offenses as the #1 guy here because of intelligent reads and throws beneficial to the receiver in terms of safety and offensive gains.

Who else did Manning ruin?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back