PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Jay Ajayi, RB Boise St.

I agree that Ajayi isn't as powerful as Ridley. But he is a much, much better receiver, and solid in pass protection. I think the ideal would be to have a back who is always a viable receiving option and who can pass project, making it harder for opposing defenses to stack the box.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/11/scouting-report-jay-ajayi-rb.html

If Ajayi wants to be considered an every down back he will have to improve his pass protection. One other thing I noticed is that Ajayi really likes to bounce his runs outside. This leads to the question is it because of a lack of patients or lack of vision? Ajayi does not have the speed to do this and be successful in the NFL. Ajayi also has fumbling issues, and if he is even going to be on the Patriots radar, this has to be cleaned up. Finally, Ajayi has medical and off field issues, but those were both a few years ago and do not seem to be an issue at this point.

No thank you.

I agree that Ajayi isn't as powerful as Ridley. But he is a much, much better receiver, and solid in pass protection. I think the ideal would be to have a back who is always a viable receiving option and who can pass project, making it harder for opposing defenses to stack the box.

I am suprised you see him as a solid pass protector. I didn't see it. To me, I saw a guy who either lunged with his head down (and missed alot) or sort of stood in the way but let guys get into him too much and he would get knocked back. He is an awesome receiving threat, probably one of the most natural pass catching RB's I have ever studied.

I am suprised Manx has not chimed in on Ajayi yet. I know he is high on him and I would like to hear his take on whether or not Ajayi fits as an every down back.

I am suprised Manx has not chimed in on Ajayi yet. I know he is high on him and I would like to hear his take on whether or not Ajayi fits as an every down back.

actually I haven't watched him yet. Tevin Coleman and Abdullah are my guys.

I think I was the one who was high on Ajayi, because of his receiving ability. I'm also very high on Tevin Coleman, and Josh Robinson. Those are probably my 3 favorite backs at the moment.

I think I was the one who was high on Ajayi, because of his receiving ability. I'm also very high on Tevin Coleman, and Josh Robinson. Those are probably my 3 favorite backs at the moment.

Absolutely. You and Grid have been the leading Ajayi advocates. I remember seeing him last season and being impressed but haven't studied him at all. I was a little concerned to read that he fumbled in four consecutive games - but then Abdullah has had fumble issues in the past too.

Absolutely. You and Grid have been the leading Ajayi advocates. I remember seeing him last season and being impressed but haven't studied him at all. I was a little concerned to read that he fumbled in four consecutive games - but then Abdullah has had fumble issues in the past too.

Fumbles are definitely something to be concerned about. I haven't look at those to see whether they were a result of poor ball security. That could be an issue.

This is who I am writing my report on this week. I think I have 5 games of his, so I am excited to see what he brings to the table.

Oops, my bad. I knew someone here was high on him. Mayo, is there anything you strongly disagree with on my writeup?

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Back