PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schotty's playoff history (worse than I thought)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's trying to put Marty in the hall of fame? The point you were arguing was countering the notion the sportswriter asserted that Marty's playoff record isn't as bad as it looks and isn't all on Marty. At least the writer took the time to actually look at each of the wins and losses, which is more than I can say for 99% of the people who go on and on about Marty's playoff record.

You guys keep using the past to predict the future. That's fine but don't get too comfortable doing that because past trends have a way of reversing. Like Belichik suddenly becoming a winning coach when he hadn't been before, like Parcells suddenly being unable to get it done in the postseason, and like Cowher suddenly winning that elusive superbowl.

Don't bother trying to talk sense into people who don't want to give any credit to Marty. 200 wins and turning multiple bad teams into winners means nothing. :p

Last edited:
Here's an objective look at Marty's playoff record.

Link

"So there you have it.

In 17 playoff games, Marty's impact has been positive five times, negative four times and neutral eight times. I knew it. There's no way a coach this good (200-126-1, .613) could truly be that bad in the postseason.

These things have a way of evening out. Just ask Bill Cowher who finally won the big one last year after three home losses in the AFC title game."

Oh, I see. Some news tool decides how good his coaching is, and we are supposed to buy it? A guy who's never coached in his life?

Evidence that goes against what you want to think is hard to stomach I know. It shows maybe Marty is not as bad as you think in playoff games and now maybe you have a little more doubt creeping into your head about the outgame of the game on Sunday. Not very fun to worry a little more about getting that win is it?

Last edited:
Evidence that goes against what you want to think is hard to stomach I know. It shows maybe Marty is not as bad as you think in playoff games and now maybe you have a little more doubt creeping into your head about the outgame of the game on Sunday. Not very fun to worry a little more about getting that win is it?

EVIDENCE???? A sportswriter who has never coached a single game and his OPINION?

Hilarious.

OK, cards on the table. One game, for all the marbles. Who do want as your team's Head Coach? Marty or BB?

Overlooking the absurdity of Hench's assesments ( how can anyone suggest a losing coach has had positive impact?) and giving credence to his whacked out formula simply for the sake of argument, Marty's last five games include 3 neutrals and two negatives. So, if you're searching for some kind of positive trend...keep looking.

And here's an idea to chew on - The odds have to be pretty high that if Marty loses Sunday that he will be fired based on his poor playoff record and the fact that SD can't wait around for Marty to figure things out any longer since the LT/Rivers/Gates/Merriman group can only last so long. When a team feels the coach tightening up, they're finished. maybe Marty holds it together during the week but what happens if the Pats go up 14-0 and the wheels are coming off and Marty starts sweating bullets? What if the game comes down to the last possession and Marty is so paranoid about losing and getting fired that he starts to choke up and the team picks up his vibe?

Last edited:
Overlooking the absurdity of Hench's assesments ( how can anyone suggest a losing coach has had positive impact?)

Because many years that "losing coach" was going up against rosters with more talented players.

And here's an idea to chew on - The odds have to be pretty high that if Marty loses Sunday that he will be fired based on his poor playoff record and the fact that SD can't wait around for Marty to figure things out any longer since the LT/Rivers/Gates/Merriman group can only last so long.

Those guys are going to be together for a long time. The Chargers have assembled a great core of young players. LT is the old man of the group at 27. The Chargers are not in a rush to get Marty out the door because their best players are aging. Also, if Marty does leave for whatever reason look for the Chargers to go after Cowher.

Last edited:
Because many years that "losing coach" was going up against rosters with more talented players.

Those guys are going to be together for a long time. The Chargers have assembled a great core of young players. LT is the old man of the group at 27. The Chargers are not in a rush to get Marty out the door because their best players are aging. Also, if Marty does leave for whatever reason look for the Chargers to go after Cowher.

OK, cards on the table. One game, for all the marbles. Who do want as your team's Head Coach? Marty or BB?

And there is no response. Very telling.

No, not telling at all because I don't have time to constantly monitor every thread here and post a response to everyone immediately. I have posted my matchup evaluations in this thread so you can see exactly what I think on Marty vs Bill.

Link

Look for my post about halfway down the page.

Last edited:
No, not telling at all because I don't have time to constantly monitor every thread here and post a response to everyone immediately. I have posted my matchup evaluations in this thread so you can see exactly what I think on Marty vs Bill.

Link

here is my evaluation on marty vs. bill:

Attachments

• w_belichick_195.jpg
    w_belichick_195.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 29

Link

Look for my post about halfway down the page.

That was a cop out. Say it.

and on sunday this will all mean? exactly nothing.

Say what? That Bill is a better X's and O's coach and Marty is a better motivator?

One game. All the marbles. Which guy do you want?

By the way, word is that Herman Edwards is a superb "motivator". Perhaps he is your choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3