PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schedule & Playoffs

We're only three games into the season and the playoffs are just about set.
You're not the first person to make that argument. When I challenged the person to give us the playoff teams, he got only 2 of 12 right (keeping in mind that seeding is a very important part of setting the playoffs).

That would definitely be an improvement. That way a 7-8-1 team may get into the playoffs but at least they wouldn't get a home game.

The reason this bothers me is because of the fans as much as the teams. Why should the fans of say, the 10-6 Cards, sit at home while the fans of 6-10 Dallas be rewarded with a game that their team didn't earn?
The fact that you have to make up something that has never happened (and there is no indication it will happen this year either) really shows the bankruptcy of your thesis.

Put another way, if you are trying to make the argument that the system needs to be changed, you look very silly supporting that argument by using something that has never happened as your evidence.

The only way that Washington, Philly or the Giants will win games is when they play each other or other NFCE teams. They all suck.

What does that say about the Pats if they lose Sunday? 2 wins vs dogs and 2 losses vs Super Bowl contenders. You cant predict that Philly is all done after 3 games.

As I posted upstream, you can accurately predict the playoff teams already.
Baltimore and Pitt are locks, while crappy Cleveland (another over-rated team) has a chance to sneak in. That's because 10 of those teams' 16 games are against the two worst divisions in football, the NFCE and AFCS, and the Bungles.
KC's a lock and the Raiders have a slight chance, though I did put a curse on them that will last until 2026. They aren't that good anyway.
Tennessee and Indy are likely the AFCS reps but one may be out.
Buffalo and NE are the teams from the AFCE but one of them may be out.

If any of your playoffs teams happen to lose their QB its over. Way to much football ahead to start booking hotels and flights.

We're only three games into the season and the playoffs are just about set. That wouldn't happen with a balanced schedule that has the AFC teams playing each other more often.

Las Vegas builds 1000 room hotels with peoples money who thought they had the NFL all figured out.

Here's my realignment;

AFCE
Bal
Buf
Cin
Cle
Mia
NE
NJ
Pitt
AFCW
Den
Hou
Ind
Jac
KC
LV
LAC
Ten

What will happen is that there will be a division winner and wildcard for each of the 8 divisions. 16 post season teams = 50% of the NFL.

What does that say about the Pats if they lose Sunday? 2 wins vs dogs and 2 losses vs Super Bowl contenders. You cant predict that Philly is all done after 3 games.

If any of your playoffs teams happen to lose their QB its over. Way to much football ahead to start booking hotels and flights.

Las Vegas builds 1000 room hotels with peoples money who thought they had the NFL all figured out.

What will happen is that there will be a division winner and wildcard for each of the 8 divisions. 16 post season teams = 50% of the NFL.

Of course anything can happen, but Philly sucks just like the rest of the NFCE. I wonder if they're still having fun.

The only game that I'd go to would be in Foxboro so I don't need no stinkin' hotel.

The Pats lost their QB in 2001 and it worked out very well.

I've never been to Vegas and I never will. I don't gamble.

If any group can make a bad thing worse it's the NYFL.

Of course anything can happen, but Philly sucks just like the rest of the NFCE. I wonder if they're still having fun.

The only game that I'd go to would be in Foxboro so I don't need no stinkin' hotel.

The Pats lost their QB in 2001 and it worked out very well.

I've never been to Vegas and I never will. I don't gamble.

If any group can make a bad thing worse it's the NYFL.

The defense would like to call Cam Newton to the stand.

Last edited:

I decided to revisit this thread from the end of September to see how accurate it was.

Projected Playoffs
1 - KC/GB
2 - Bal/Sea
3 - Ten/NO
4 - NE/Dal
5 - Pitt/LAR
6 - Buf/TB
7 - Ind/Chi
Out
Cle/SF
LV/Ari

We can switch Pitt/Baltimore and GB/Seattle around. I underestimated the strength of the Steelers and Seahawks.

I also overestimated the strength of the Pats, who were 2-1 at the time but are now long gone. I also underestimated the Dolphins, who could make a run for the AFCE.

Now that the Pats are out the Browns could make it in instead, even after losing OBJ.

Otherwise I'm still very close.

I also wanted to revisit the SOS differences. I've been playing with the numbers for a few years and this year is the imperfect storm and the worst imbalance ever.

Using the power rankings, which aren't perfect but are pretty close, these are the totals for each AFC division using their opponents PR totals in parenthesis;

AFCE vs AFCW (54) and NFCW (43) = 97
AFCS vs AFCN (49) and NFCN (65) = 114
AFCW vs AFCE (79) and NFCS (55) = 134
AFCN vs AFCS (82) and NFCE (105) = 187

The AFCN has the luxury of playing the worst division from each conference and has a schedule that's almost twice as easy as the AFCE. If they don't get three teams into the playoffs I'll be surprised.

Another way of looking at the above is to compare each division's cumulative record. Intra-division games are excluded, since they are going to add an equal number of wins and losses. (In other words, records versus non-division opponents.)

AFC: 15-13-1 vs NFC

16-6 NFC West - (Rams are 4-0 vs NFCE; 1-3 in all other games) [5-3 vs AFCE] [8-1 vs NFCE]
13-4-1 AFC North - (Bengals: 2-1 vs AFCS, 0-4-1 in all other games) [6-0-1 vs NFCE] [6-1 vs AFCS]
12-9 AFC West - (KC 5-0; LAC 2-0 vs rest of AFC, 0-3 vs NFC) [2-5 vs NFCS] [5-2 vs AFCE]
11-10 NFC South - (NO 3-0; TB 5-1; Car 2-2; Atl 1-5) [5-2 vs AFCW] [4-6 vs NFCN]
11-10 NFC North - (GB 3-1; Chi 4-2; Det 3-2; Min 1-4) [3-4 vs AFCS] [6-4 vs NFCS]
8-12 AFC South - (Indy 5-1; Hou/Jax 0-9) [4-3 vs NFCN] [1-6 vs AFCN]
6-12 AFC East - (Buf/Mia 5-3; NEP/NYJ 1-9) [3-5 vs NFCW] [2-5 vs AFCW]
2-16-1 NFC East - (iconic games: Dallas onside kick game vs Atlanta; Eagles tie Cincy in OT) [0-6-1 vs AFCN] [1-8 vs NFCW]

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back