PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

San Jose Mercury News writer: Montana Brady debate has been over for a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how people can use the : " Joe is better because he didn't lose a SB" bs. Um....Brady has been in eight SB' to Joe's 4, that means there's a much higher chance of losing a SB, throwing a pick, and a fluke ( Tyree) play going against you. Furthermore, Joe went one and done more times than Brady. And he got anihilated ( 87) in a way Brady's never been.

Eli is undefeated in the SB and Peyton is .500. Hey...Eli is better!!!! Such a BS argument.

SB 52 is house money for me as a fan. The Pain of losing would be softened by Butler & 28-3. It'll suck for two days, and then life will go on. The sun will rise. We'll all cherish & appreciate what this organization has treated us too.

I don't understand how people can use the : " Joe is better because he didn't lose a SB" bs. Um....Brady has been in eight SB' to Joe's 4, that means there's a much higher chance of losing a SB, throwing a pick, and a fluke ( Tyree) play going against you. Furthermore, Joe went one and done more times than Brady. And he got anihilated ( 87) in a way Brady's never been.

Eli is undefeated in the SB and Peyton is .500. Hey...Eli is better!!!! Such a BS argument.

SB 52 is house money for me as a fan. The Pain of losing would be softened by Butler & 28-3. It'll suck for two days, and then life will go on. The sun will rise. We'll all cherish & appreciate what this organization has treated us too.

Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Jeff Hostetler never lost the Super Bowl either.

Like I said before... 5 gold medals and 2 silvers is always better than 4 gold and 0 silvers.

Joe didn’t lose any Super Bowls during that era. Neither did any other NFC QBs, like Doug Williams, Jim MacMahon, or Jeff Hostetler. Didn’t they rip off like 15 wins in a row?

If anyone comes to you and says “Montana is better than Brady because he didn’t lose any of the super bowls he played in,” the best response is to say “montana didn’t play any good teams in the super bowl like brady did.” Then remind them that Joe lost his share of divisional and conference title games (7 playoff losses) against much tougher teams than he played in the SB, including the giants, bears, and redskins. Montana got his butt whooped 49-3 by the giants. When did brady lose any playoff game by that margin?
Indeed. Closest one was the Ravens in 2009. But that was only a 19 point loss.

Indeed. Closest one was the Ravens in 2009. But that was only a 19 point loss.

Two of their worst losses ( points wise) was at home to Baltimore in the playoffs. It's hard to believe the Ravens could easily be 4-0 in playoff games at Gillette Stadium.

Joe never beat the giants in the playoffs either

Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Jeff Hostetler never lost the Super Bowl either.

Like I said before... 5 gold medals and 2 silvers is always better than 4 gold and 0 silvers.
So what you're saying is I'm not the greatest QB of all time because I'm undefeated? This doesn't compute.

I don't pretend to speak for anyone else but the me part of we would probably be thinking the 'dumb Browns' weren't so dumb anymore. No football fan base , not even those of us who survived the Sullivans and Kiam, deserves the kind of run we've been blessed with but if any other fan base were to have an historic run bestowed on them by the Football Gods there'd be some merit in it being the Brownies.
The Browns had their run in the decade after WWII. The head coach/quarterback duo of Paul Brown/Otto Graham was the predecessor to the Belichick/Brady era. Graham took the Browns to the league championship game every year from 1946 to 1955, winning seven of them. Graham still holds the NFL record for yards gained per pass attempt, 8.98, and for career winning percentage, .814. He also won a basketball championship in 1946 with the Rochester Royals. He and Gene Conley, the old Red Sox and Celtic player, are the only athletes to win championships in two major sports.

this may be true.....

but the brady vs jimmy g debate is just getting started.....QB rating comparison next year will be a major topic

feed me.....(just having fun.....bored with waiting for SB)

Last edited:
this may be true.....

but the brady vs jimmy g debate is just getting started.....QB rating comparison next year will be a major topic

feed me

200_s.gif
I have no idea why anyone here thinks you're a troll.

I have no idea why anyone here thinks you're a troll.
thanks, dude

most people are great......its only a few people that mistreat me

but i have come to accept myself more as i get older....and i feel thats important

the bullying has actually toughened me up a little.....and the improved resilience has been transferable to other parts of my life

Have fun discussing Jimmy Garrapolo in the NFL Forum, because it won’t be in here.

As much as we get caught up in the moment, rightfully so, this type of thing needs to be viewed best from the "rear view mirror", currently he owns all of the significant playoff records for a quarterback...

Saying "he lost" two to the Giants is about the same as the 49'ers did not get into more Superbowls because of Montana...

What can never be changed is that he as the quarterback of the NEP are in his 8th Superbowl, where his QBR and Passer Rating is not among the best, but he was broken just about every post season record for a QB.. and is about to break more...

As time passes there will be no doubt as to who is the best... #12

Have fun discussing Jimmy Garrapolo in the NFL Forum, because it won’t be in here.
hi ivan....how are you......regardless of how strict the mods treat it next year

if jimmy g somehow manages to compete with or beat brady in stats or success

it would be a huge topic.....elephant in the room.....will make for great forum banter

regards,

CutiePie

Last edited:
thanks, dude

most people are great......its only a few people that mistreat me

but i have come to accept myself more as i get older....and i feel thats important

the bullying has actually toughened me up a little.....and the improved resilience has been transferable to other parts of my life

No thanks necessary as your trolling is your doing.

Why @Ross12 and @Ice_Ice_Brady let you linger is for their entertainment purposes only I guess. Party on with your oh so not subtle Patriot hate.

Also a fact that is often lost in the discussion that Brady in those 2 losses to the Giants led his team to 'come from behind to take the lead' drives late in both those games, and it was the defense, the refs, luck, and good offensive play that caused the Pats to ultimately lose those games. It wasn't Tom Brady. In the 4th quarter, he did HIS job and put his team in a position to win the game. Just like he did against St. Louis, the Panthers, the Eagles, the Giants (twice), the Seahawks, and Falcons.

And while his play in the Superbowl hasn't been without its bad moments for him, in every one of those 4th quarters, Brady's play has been immense. Sometimes it is lost on the general public just how clutch Brady has been when the game was on the line, EVEN in those 2 losses

III: 16-7
V: 16-13
IX: 16-6
XLII: 17-14

In their 2 Super Bowls losses the Pats scored 17 and 14.

There have only been 4 SB winners to score less than 20 points. 3 of those were in 1975 and earlier, and the 4th was against the Pats.

Simply put the offense, and by extension Brady, didn't do their job in the SB losses.

I posted about a comparison of Brady's and Montana's playoff success level before.

I just updated it to include last year.

The comparison consists of this: assign a score representing how far into the playoffs eachtakes his team. Average that over the number of years each was the starting QB.

The scoring system consists of assigning a number indicating how many games your team could potentially have won when they exited the playoffs.

For example, win SB -> score = 0, i.e., there are no games left you could have won.

Play in SB but lose -> score = 1, i.e., you could have won that final game.

Lose in Conf Champ -> score = 2, i.e, you could have potentially won that game and won the SB.

Using that system, we find that Montana's career avg. is 1.909. That is, his avg. expected performance for any year is to get to, but lose, the conference championship.

Brady's career average through last year is 1.438. He averages half a round deeper into the playoffs than did Montana.

So Brady's had significantly better success, and for many more years, than Montana.

Regardless of outcome of this year's SB, Brady's score will get lower still while adding yet another year to the string.

There is simply no way to argue that Montana did better for his team than Brady has done for the Pats.

this may be true.....

Not really. JG assuming he re-ups with SF is completely irrelevant to this team until 2020 when we play the Niners next.

hi ivan....how are you......regardless of how strict the mods treat it next year

if jimmy g somehow manages to compete with or beat brady in stats or success

it would be a huge topic.....elephant in the room.....will make for great forum banter

regards,

CutiePie

No it won’t.

III: 16-7
V: 16-13
IX: 16-6
XLII: 17-14

In their 2 Super Bowls losses the Pats scored 17 and 14.

There have only been 4 SB winners to score less than 20 points. 3 of those were in 1975 and earlier, and the 4th was against the Pats.

Simply put the offense, and by extension Brady, didn't do their job in the SB losses.

Those losses faded from the rear view mirror in relevance the moment Butler made that int.

The Patriots are one win away from winning 6 rings this century, a feat that took the Steelers more than twice as long to accomplish. The coulda shoulda wouldas about the losses don’t matter in any way today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back