PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

San Jose Mercury News writer: Montana Brady debate has been over for a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

seven

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
SF writer bringing some late breaking news to the Land of La La La.
They are unlikely to appreciate it.

I post this to bring up a forgotten moment regarding Montana's justifiably respected record of
No INTs in the SB. A moment not included in the Dieter Kurtenbach piece.
A forgotten moment.

Super Bowl XXIII, SF vs CIN the tragic figure Lewis Billups
dropped an easy, in his arms, game changing INT in the end zone

Montana's pass was from the 15 Yard line, 49ers scored on the next play.
49ers went on to win Montana's 3rd SB 20-16
via the now legendary 92 yard drive
in the final minutes of the game.
Cincinnati notably continues to fail to win with men of proven suspect character.

The now forgotten moment's man Lewis Billups' career faded, he ended up going to prison and finally killing himself and his passenger in a high speed auto crash.

Montana would win a fourth Super Bowl, go on to earn best that has ever been status.

I am struck by how much pivoted on that one moment, one play,
perhaps not even 2 seconds of time.
How much would have changed, for all concerned,
had Billups simply caught that ball?

Another part of me thinks, knows, or thinks I know...
that is what losers do, right?
The moment arrives, they fall short.

Mercury News piece
Columnist: Tom Brady or Joe Montana? There's no debate

Ugly details of the life of an all-time loser
Tragedy of Billups Only Started With Dropped INT

Last edited:
It’s a Ohio team

SF writer bringing some late breaking news to the Land of La La La.
They are unlikely to appreciate it.

I post this to bring up a forgotten moment regarding Montana's justifiably respected record of
No INTs in the SB. A moment not included in the Dieter Kurtenbach piece.
A forgotten moment.

Super Bowl XXIII, SF vs CIN the tragic figure Lewis Billups
dropped an easy, in his arms, game changing INT in the end zone

Montana's pass was from the 15 Yard line, 49ers scored on the next play.
49ers went on to win Montana's 3rd SB 20-16
via the now legendary 92 yard drive
in the final minutes of the game.
Cincinnati notably continues to fail to win with men of proven suspect character.

The now forgotten moment's man Lewis Billups' career faded, he ended up going to prison and finally killing himself and his passenger in a high speed auto crash.

Montana would win a fourth Super Bowl, go on to earn best that has ever been status.

I am struck by how much pivoted on that one moment, one play,
perhaps not even 2 seconds of time.
How much would have changed, for all concerned,
had Billups simply caught that ball?

Another part of me thinks, knows, or thinks I know...
that is what losers do, right?
The moment arrives, they fall short.

Mercury News piece
Columnist: Tom Brady or Joe Montana? There's no debate

Ugly details of the life of an all-time loser
Tragedy of Billups Only Started With Dropped INT

It's been over for a lot longer than that, but hero-worship dies hard.

The Brady vs. Montana debate was sealed the moment Malcolm Butler intercepted Russell Wilson.

I think there was still a debate in the minds of the general public until 28-3. I remember the next day watching a lot of sports media and really hearing, for the first time, almost everyone acknowledging Brady as the GOAT once he got #5.

The Brady vs. Montana debate was sealed the moment Malcolm Butler intercepted Russell Wilson.

I think at that point Brady equalled Montana in a lot of people’s minds, even though some felt he exceeded Montana. The argument went that both players had 4 super bowls but montana was undefeated on the big stage. However, it was not until SB51 that debate really ended.

The argument for the greatest QB/football player has been rendered moot, the only remaining debate is Brady vs Jordan as the greatest team sports athlete of the modern (post 1970) era.

There is a 160 page discussion on this topic on the niners forum caused by 49ers fans’ insecurity

Joe Montana Legacy Secured | Page 157

I perused that thread and to their credit, I'd say about 30-40% are hanging on to the old story of "JoE DIdN"t lOSe ANy sUPeR BoWLs", but the other 60% are calling them morons and an embarrassment to the fanbase.

On a meta level, it makes me wonder if the dumb Browns win eight Super Bowls in the future what we would think.

I perused that thread and to their credit, I'd say about 30-40% are hanging on to the old story of "JoE DIdN"t lOSe ANy sUPeR BoWLs", but the other 60% are calling them morons and an embarrassment to the fanbase.

On a meta level, it makes me wonder if the dumb Browns win eight Super Bowls in the future what we would think.

I won't be here if/when they do, so I don't think I would think anything.

I don't pretend to speak for anyone else but the me part of we would probably be thinking the 'dumb Browns' weren't so dumb anymore. No football fan base , not even those of us who survived the Sullivans and Kiam, deserves the kind of run we've been blessed with but if any other fan base were to have an historic run bestowed on them by the Football Gods there'd be some merit in it being the Brownies.

There is a 160 page discussion on this topic on the niners forum caused by 49ers fans’ insecurity

Joe Montana Legacy Secured | Page 157
I like that they use the fact that Montana played against HoFers. Me thinks they don't understand how the HoF works.

Oh and the fact that they're using the QB position being less important back in the day as an argument for Montana...

Last edited:
If anyone comes to you and says “Montana is better than Brady because he didn’t lose any of the super bowls he played in,” the best response is to say “montana didn’t play any good teams in the super bowl like brady did.” Then remind them that Joe lost his share of divisional and conference title games (7 playoff losses) against much tougher teams than he played in the SB, including the giants, bears, and redskins. Montana got his butt whooped 49-3 by the giants. When did brady lose any playoff game by that margin?

Last edited:
Using your example, if an analogous Asante Samuel had caught an INT in 2008 then Brady would have an undefeated season and would be the GOAT already after the Seattle SB

I wish people would start to remember just how HARD it is just go get to a Superbowl. Just look at the FACT that even WITH all his advantages of the cap situation at the time, Montana "only" got to 4.

Also a fact that is often lost in the discussion that Brady in those 2 losses to the Giants led his team to 'come from behind to take the lead' drives late in both those games, and it was the defense, the refs, luck, and good offensive play that caused the Pats to ultimately lose those games. It wasn't Tom Brady. In the 4th quarter, he did HIS job and put his team in a position to win the game. Just like he did against St. Louis, the Panthers, the Eagles, the Giants (twice), the Seahawks, and Falcons.

And while his play in the Superbowl hasn't been without its bad moments for him, in every one of those 4th quarters, Brady's play has been immense. Sometimes it is lost on the general public just how clutch Brady has been when the game was on the line, EVEN in those 2 losses

After beating the Seahawks, there was a pretty solid argument for Brady. But after the Falcons game, there's nothing left to discuss about the GOAT QB. It's over, it's been over for a year now.

The browns in the super bowl would be the end of the universe. Such a paradox would rip the fabric of space

Using your example, if an analogous Asante Samuel had caught an INT in 2008 then Brady would have an undefeated season and would be the GOAT already after the Seattle SB
If 19-0 had happened, I think that would've basically clinched Brady's GOAT argument on the spot, and anything after that would have just been piling on.

I like how people try to count 2007 and 2011 against him, as though Montana losing multiple times in the playoffs was superior to Brady giving his defense the lead both times and then getting losses in the Super Bowl.

"You're a better QB if you lose in the championship game to the Giants and Redskins than if you lose to the Giants twice in the Super Bowl."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3