PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saban's reaction to the pass interference call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I really did not understand Saban's reaction to the pass interference call on Will Allen covering Gabriel in the end zone.

It was so obviously interference that Saban should have been more upset at his player for making such a boneheaded play late in a close game.

I mean, it's pretty standard that if a cornerback has his arms draped over the reciever's shoulders AND is facemask-to-facemask AND gets hit IN THE BACK with the pass while covering that he is going to get an interference call.

Saban going all crazy just made him look like a fool.

He should have been standing there, arms crossed, with that Belichick "wait until I get this kid in the film room on Tuesday" look.

Bonehead Play #2 of the game, from the "You gotta know where you are on the field" files:

About 2:00 minutes into the second half, 2nd down and long for Miami, Samuel drives Ronnie Brown out of bounds after a run, and while Brown is CLEARLY on the white, Ellis Hobbs yanks his helmet back for personal foul, 15 yards and a first down...

I love Hobbs in general, and I love him for playing hurt, but he's gotta be smart on that play. His teammates had already made the tackle and he just came in and gave away a first down + 15.

ADPF

it seems like hobbs has that problem

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
I really did not understand Saban's reaction to the pass interference call on Will Allen covering Gabriel in the end zone.
it was so obviously interference that Saban should have been more upset at his player for making such a boneheaded play late in a close game.

I mean, it's pretty standard that if a cornerback has his arms draped over the reciever's shoulders AND is facemask-to-facemask AND gets hit IN THE BACK with the pass while covering that he is going to get an interference call.
He should have been standing there, arms crossed, with that Belichick "wait until I get this kid in the film room on Tuesday" look.
Bonehead Play #2 of the game, from the "You gotta know where you are on the field" files:
About 2:00 minutes into the second half, 2nd down and long for Miami, Samuel drives Ronnie Brown out of bounds after a run, and while Brown is CLEARLY on the white, Ellis Hobbs yanks his helmet back for personal foul, 15 yards and a first down...
I love Hobbs in general, and I love him for playing hurt, but he's gotta be smart on that play. His teammates had already made the tackle and he just came in and gave away a first down + 15.
ADPF

IMHO the play was over when hobbs went barging in there. i think it'll be his "issue" until he straightens it out.

Re: it seems like hobbs has that problem

NEM said:
I believe that when you are tracking a player, at full speed, you alrent looking at the ground, and when you reach for a player, sometimes your hand ACCIDENTLY gets hung up in the helmet if the player's head moves.... I just think it was an unintentional contact with the helmet, as most of them usually are.
Where is the irrational NEM, and what have you done with him? Clearly Hobbs grabbed the guy's helmet because he knows he's short. ;)

Armen Da Pats Fan said:

It was so obviously interference that Saban should have been more upset at his player for making such a boneheaded play late in a close game.

I was at the game and watching this, it occurred to me that Saban might be reacting more to the fact that his entire season could be on the line with that call. The subsequent touchdown made it 20-10 with practically no chance of Miami coming back, and put the Dolphins in a 1-4 hole. I don't know how many teams have overcome a 1-4 start to make the playoffs, but I'll bet very few.

Tunescribe said:
I was at the game and watching this, it occurred to me that Saban might be reacting more to the fact that his entire season could be on the line with that call. The subsequent touchdown made it 20-10 with practically no chance of Miami coming back, and put the Dolphins in a 1-4 hole. I don't know how many teams have overcome a 1-4 start to make the playoffs, but I'll bet very few.

Especially in this years AFC! It's a pretty safe bet the wildcard isn't coming out of the East this year!

Tunescribe said:

True, but still, he was reacting like an irrational fan instead of a smart NFL head coach. As much as I hate the pass interference penalty in general because its so subjective, that wasn't one of the questionable ones. I thought he looked like a fool too. Maybe he thought he could get his team mad or something. I don't know.

I honestly would not have been surprised had Saban grabbed the ball and gone home. I handled calls I didn't like more maturely when I was 8.

As for the Hobbs facemask, accidentally getting your hand on a facemask is one thing, but yanking a guy's head down after getting a hold of the facemask is another thing entirely. It really bothered me when I saw the replay because you could see the guy's head suddenly jerk down. Hobbs should be fined for that.

Tunescribe said:

I thought the same thing upon hearing the quote.

brady et al fan said:
I thought he looked like a fool too. Maybe he thought he could get his team mad or something. I don't know.
1160344451_5906.jpg

"I'm gonna... I'm gonna... I'm gonna.... flick my red flag at you!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call