PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney: "Unlike last year's Super Bowl..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rodney's comments catch on in the ny media

Did you not notice all of the new guys on D last year? You can't replace 11 starters at once.

No, no, no.... the fact that 3 of the 11 starters at the end of the season were over 30 means that the team has nothing but fossils.

Wilhite
Hobbs
Meriweather
Sanders
Mayo
Seymour
Warren
Wilfork

That's almost pre-cambrian.

No, no, no.... the fact that 3 of the 11 starters at the end of the season were over 30 means that the team has nothing but fossils.

Wilhite
Hobbs
Meriweather
Sanders
Mayo
Seymour
Warren
Wilfork

That's almost pre-cambrian.

I haz been crucified?

Umm, no. These are facts.

I love Rodney as much as anyone else, but that's a stupid comment. Either he's right, and sounds like sour grapes, or he's wrong, and it's even worse. I am not impressed.

If he'd made that remark during the coin toss or something I'd completely agree with you,but he didn't and I doubt he even would. His venue was only a pregame made-for-tv moment. Given that context it's a molehill.

I'm disappointed that he said that. It's what losers say and Rodney doesn't even live in the same area code as losers.

The better team on the field that day won the game, just like the better team on the field beat an arguably superior team in SB XXXVI. That's football. And, of all the Pats on the field for SB XXLII, nobody had a better chance than Rodney of changing the outcome of the magic teflon helmet catch by a guy who didn't even play this year.

Last edited:

The D didn't allow a touchdown in 9 straight quarters during the 2008 playoffs and allowed less points in the SB than either team did Sunday. The D was on the field during the collapse in SB42, but they shouldn't have been - the O is what blew the game.

This is what most people don't realize about our 'soft' defense. In last year's playoffs they averaged giving about 17 ppg which is what the 3 championship teams averaged. That was good enough then, it should have been more than enough last year.

And yeah they gave up the late TD, but they did the same thing in each of the 3 SB's we won. I don't get how people forget things so easily.

Last edited:

This is what most people don't realize about our 'soft' defense. In last year's playoffs they averaged giving about 17 ppg which is what the 3 championship teams averaged. That was good enough then, it should have been more than enough last year.

And yeah they gave up the late TD, but they did the same thing in each of the 3 SB's we won. I don't get how people forget things so easily.

Selective memory and an inability to see the whole picture.... Don't forget, people blame the offense for losing the AFCCG to the Colts despite the team putting more than 30 points on the board. In an odd quirk, people blame the defense for the game the offense failed in (Giants Super Bowl) and the offense for a game the defense failed in (Colts AFCCG).

The biggest problem with the comment is that it gets picked up and repeated only in print (in newspapers and on internet web pages.) It's not unlike how words can come across differently from how they were intended in an e-mail. Having watched and listened to Rodney's comment on the pregame show, I didn't see any bitterness at all; he said it with a bit of a smile, like he was joking around between friendly rivals. It was a complete polar opposite of the demeanor of LaDainian Tomlinson, for example, when LT infamously said the better team did not win.

Unfortunately a Giant fan probably saw it, got offended, and it makes its way to a New York paper. Same thing would have happened if, for example a Giant player said something like 'we'll beat with or without cameras' with a smile on his face, joking around. While some Pats fans would brush it off as a joke, many others would be furious.

The end result is that it's being debated and talked about by people that didn't see or hear the comment, but only read the words. Remember last off season when Brady was joking around and said he 'still can't jump, still can't run', and the national media jumped all over the story that the AP put out from that interview? It's similar to that; seeing and hearing that interview one gets a totally different impression than when you only read the words.

The lesson is to follow BB's lead and just give bland, vague comments. Sports fans want to know what players are really thinking and feeling, but then we jump all over them when they do give us that insight. No wonder most give us nothing but worn out cliches.

The D didn't allow a touchdown in 9 straight quarters during the 2008 playoffs and allowed less points in the SB than either team did Sunday. The D was on the field during the collapse in SB42, but they shouldn't have been - the O is what blew the game.

Your right, the Pats lost as a team in last year's superbowl. The defense did a great job holding the Giants to 10 points almost the entire game. In fact, even with the Giants having 17 points, the Pats should have won the game. It's just frustrating that the Pats defense couldn't get a stop on all those third downs in the final two minutes. Of course, the Giants weren't going to punt, but it takes more time off the clock. However, I thought the Pats offensive game plan was one of the worst I’d ever seen. You'd think after halftime they would have made their adjustments and come out a completely different team in the second half. But no, the Pats play calling became arrogant and insane. What happened to using more screens against the Giants aggressive defense? What happened to the O-line shifting their blocking at the snap and Brady rolling out like he did repeatedly to neutralize the Panther's pass rush in superbowl 38? Overall, that was the most biazarre game I'd seen in a long time.

Last edited:

Your right, the Pats lost as a team in last year's superbowl. The defense did a great job holding the Giants to 10 points almost the entire game. In fact, even with the Giants having 17 points, the Pats should have won the game. It's just frustrating that the Pats defense couldn't get a stop on all those third downs in the final two minutes. Of course, the Giants weren't going to punt, but it takes more time off the clock. However, I thought the Pats offensive game plan was one of the worst I’d ever seen. You'd think after halftime they would have made their adjustments and come out a completely different team in the second half. But no, the Pats play calling became arrogant and insane. What happened to using more screens against the Giants aggressive defense? What happened to the O-line shifting their blocking at the snap and Brady rolling out like he did repeatedly to neutralize the Panther's pass rush in superbowl 38? Overall, that was the most biazarre game I'd seen in a long time.

As Unoriginal showed in one of the myriad threads about this, the Patriots attempted many screens. As for Brady rolling out, you do remember that he had an ankle injury, right?

Sports fans want to know what players are really thinking and feeling, but then we jump all over them when they do give us that insight. No wonder most give us nothing but worn out cliches.

Bingo-o-o we got bingo-o-o-o

As Unoriginal showed in one of the myriad threads about this, the Patriots attempted many screens. As for Brady rolling out, you do remember that he had an ankle injury, right?

I completely forgot about that. However, I don't remember them running too many screens. I only remember them running maybe two or three. And I talking about screens to RB's.

Last edited:

I completely forgot about that. However, I don't remember them running too many screens. I only remember them running maybe two or three. And I talking about screens to RB's.

I can't remember which thread it is, so I can't steer you to it, but Unoriginal broke down the plays, including the screens. Really, the problem wasn't a lack of screens, because the Giants were playing up tight. The problem was a lack of time for Brady to take advantage of the weak Giants corners.

My questioning regarding the playcalling for that game, and most Patriots games since Branch left, is that relative paucity of slant passes to outside receivers and the rare use of motion to free those outside receivers at the line. I'm not saying that it's a mistake not to use those notions, but I would like to know why the team doesn't feature them more often.

No...That's not true. James Sanders was standing there watching. He had a great view about 3 yards away.
DW Toys

OK, you can say Rodney had "the best" chance.

So many woulda, coulda, shouldas from that game. I don't know why I torture myself and even think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft