patsfaninpa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Rodney Harrison was on WEEI this afternoon. With Holley and M.Smith
subbing for Arnold. Classy guy. Talked about his recovery. I know it's
early in the process. But, he said he can't guarantee he's back for
training camp. I think Rodney's recovery is the key to our defense in
06. I'm confident we will get some help in draft at some positions,
db and lb. But, nobody we draft can give us what Rodney can.

The way he's been talking coupled with BB's comments, it seems likely he goes on PUP and shows up after 6-9 weeks, much like Bruschi. If that's what happens, I'll be thrilled. Rodney is the man.

Now if he was a ref at Saturday's game, you think he would have called PI on Asante? Let the boys play, he would have said.

Holly just said on NEST that he expect Rodney to be back at the start of the season.

We can only hope and be positive.

that's a bad knee injury

PATSNUTme said:
Holly just said on NEST that he expect Rodney to be back at the start of the season.

We can only hope and be positive.
only an elite athlete would even think of complete rehad in 13 months.
rodney is crazed, too, and does't want his career to end like that.
he could be waalking on a cane the rest of his life, folks.
yeah i want him back. but i want to see him healthy, no limp, no having to ice the knee at night.

ilduce06410 said:
only an elite athlete would even think of complete rehad in 13 months.
rodney is crazed, too, and does't want his career to end like that.
he could be waalking on a cane the rest of his life, folks.
yeah i want him back. but i want to see him healthy, no limp, no having to ice the knee at night.
That's nice that YOU feel that way, but I'm thinking this call is Rodney's and he'll do what gets him back in the game the fastest.

it's nice?

BradyisGod said:
That's nice that YOU feel that way, but I'm thinking this call is Rodney's and he'll do what gets him back in the game the fastest.
somebody thinks he shouldn't put his long-term health first?
my post was kinda obnoxious. tho.

ilduce06410 said:
Oh certainly not, and it wasn't an attack on you either. I just think that these guys are so passionate about the game that they would probably choose to risk long term health for another couple good years.

If you ever listen to Schlereth on ESPN he's always saying (looking for past glory no doubt) that he's paying the price now for what he did in his playing career. But he always says he'd do it again.

ilduce06410 said:

Key word there is "he". If he thinks he's ready and his doctors agree, then it's his choice.

Just like Tedy Bru.

Didn't "Dancing" Jerry Rice have a similar injury when he was with San Fran? If memory serves he rushed to come back and hurt the knee again. Rodney has a good head on his shoulders, he will make the right decision on a time table.

there's the rub

PATSNUTme said:
Key word there is "he". If he thinks he's ready and his doctors agree, then it's his choice.
Just like Tedy Bru.
"choice". perhaps i'm beating the subject.
IMO it's different with elite athletes, so is everything else in ther lives. it's one thing for me to choose to resume typing even tho i have carpal tunnel syndrome and the doc says i should rest. we are the ones who are supposed to make those choices, as long as there is enough health care to give us a choice.
remember muhammad ali vs. earnie shavers?
it was ali's choice. his doctors maybe told him he could, but that he shouldn't. have to look at angelo dundee's book to be sure. ali went out there and won the fight, and took a terrible beating himself.
i guess i could come up with 4-5 examples of athletes whose doctors said the athlete was physically sound to perform, but in truth should not for long-term health reasons. like mike webster of the steelers. like jim otto of the raiders.
there's no way in this society that anyone other than the athlete could make that choice.

ilduce06410 said:
"choice". perhaps i'm beating the subject.
IMO it's different with elite athletes, so is everything else in ther lives. it's one thing for me to choose to resume typing even tho i have carpal tunnel syndrome and the doc says i should rest. we are the ones who are supposed to make those choices, as long as there is enough health care to give us a choice.
remember muhammad ali vs. earnie shavers?
it was ali's choice. his doctors maybe told him he could, but that he shouldn't. have to look at angelo dundee's book to be sure. ali went out there and won the fight, and took a terrible beating himself.
i guess i could come up with 4-5 examples of athletes whose doctors said the athlete was physically sound to perform, but in truth should not for long-term health reasons. like mike webster of the steelers. like jim otto of the raiders.
there's no way in this society that anyone other than the athlete could make that choice.

any competent doctor will go over the short term and long term possiblities of resuming his carrer. Once Rodney has that information, it is his choice.

I dont mean to sound crude, but to be honest.

None of us know Rodney Harrision, nor would even know he is if he didnt play in the NFL.
When his playing days are over, he will be a memory and no one will be concerned with the quality of his life. Thats just the way it is.

Anyone who professes that they care about the person, not the player isnt being honest, unless they can tell me how Sam Cunningham is doing from the effects of the injuries he played with in the 70s, or how Andy Katzenmoyersd life is going since his career ending injury, and what he is doing for a living now, or whether Robert Edwards regrets joining the NFL, getting injured and his comebacks attempts, and when the last time they posted about these guys.

Im not trying to come off like a dlck here, but I figured out a long time ago that as a fan, what the guy does on the field is all that matters, and those who purport to think differently, really don;t, their care and concern for the player just shifts to another when he is gone and forgotten.

AndyJohnson said:
I dont mean to sound crude, but to be honest.

None of us know Rodney Harrision, nor would even know he is if he didnt play in the NFL.
When his playing days are over, he will be a memory and no one will be concerned with the quality of his life. Thats just the way it is.

Anyone who professes that they care about the person, not the player isnt being honest, unless they can tell me how Sam Cunningham is doing from the effects of the injuries he played with in the 70s, or how Andy Katzenmoyersd life is going since his career ending injury, and what he is doing for a living now, or whether Robert Edwards regrets joining the NFL, getting injured and his comebacks attempts, and when the last time they posted about these guys.

Im not trying to come off like a dlck here, but I figured out a long time ago that as a fan, what the guy does on the field is all that matters, and those who purport to think differently, really don;t, their care and concern for the player just shifts to another when he is gone and forgotten.

That is totally correct. So, that is why it is the players decission once he get the advise from his treating doctor. It is not for us to judge if he made the right or wrong decission. It is his life and his choice to make.

patsfaninpa said:
.... I think Rodney's recovery is the key to our defense in
06. I'm confident we will get some help in draft at some positions,
db and lb. But, nobody we draft can give us what Rodney can.

I concur that "nobody we draft can give us what Rodney can". His game savvy and on-field command are unique and irreplaceable.

However, our D at the end of the season and postseason was top-echelon - even without Rodney. We lose from that D nobody. We add to it a gaggle of DBs ... who all were ahead of most of the final secondary ... until they got KO'd.

If #37 does return - and is only as fast as we last saw him - we should count that as the equivalent of a splendid FA acquisition. But in no way is "Rodney's recovery the key to our defense in '06".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes