PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Gronkowski of the Patriots might be the perfect tight end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm holding off on getting a Gronk jersey.

Got my Brady jersey, he blew out his knee
Got my Mayo jersey, has a knee injury in his second season.

Holding off on the Gronk jersey.

Get a roethlisberger jersey

Ya know, I love Gronk, glad he's here but Ben Coates might just have something to say about the PATS perfect tight end. Come to think of it, so might Russ Francis. Ah history, so many ignore it at their peril.

If anyone was a doubter go no further than the catch at 6:25 of the first quarter last last week where he fell down, got up, busted a bunch of tackles for a long gain... that was one of the most impressive physical feats have ever seen in the NFL..

Not only physical, but he had the wherewithal to complete the play until the whistle blew..

Rob Gronkoswki Breaks Tackles During Patriots vs. Redskins - YouTube

As I saw this play first thing that came to mind was the Mark Bavaro play in 86 against the 49ers on MNF. I think GRONK's is better but both were awesome to watch. Freakish Strength on both parts.

Mark Bavaro drags 49er - YouTube

Recommend you look into a Philip Rivers jersey.

Didnt' know Ditka was That good, ...

Yep, he was pretty good. That's why he was the first TE admitted to the HOF.

Despite the obvious disparity in TD production (no Tom Brady on his Chicago teams), it's interesting to note that in his first six years in the league with the Bears, Ditka averaged 53.6 yards per game, 3.8 receptions per game and accounted for 4,503 receiving yards (or 900 yards per season).

In his first almost two years in the NFL, Gronkowski has averaged 56.3 yards per game and 3.9 receptions per game and accounted for 1,634 receiving yards (or 901 yards per year as averaged over 1 13/16 seasons). Even though it's only been two seasons, that definitely puts him in HOF company!

It's so true.. anything but a TD inside the 20 is unacceptable. This team has so much talent on O.... really why they are 11-3 and playing for the #1 seed

Do you have a time machine? Show me some scores, gonna have me a big gambling weekend!

Gronks great.......but the way he plays has me fearing injury

Agreed. I would not be surprised if the Bavaro comparison extends to a short career. But I will sure enjoy it while it lasts!

The only injuries I'd worry about are the guys trying to tackle Gronk.

I've only seen one play in which he risked injury to himself, and that was when he got flipped and landed on his neck. Nothing else he does is reckless, he just uses pure strength and athletic ability to out-muscle others to the ball. He doesn't do fancy spin moves and jukes or anything like that. All of his direction changes are just him running at an angle.

The only thing worrisome is how many defenders go for his legs, and so far the only thing to ever hurt Gronk was the endzone knocking the wind out of him.

He does NOT play dangerously on a regular basis.

It's so true.. anything but a TD inside the 20 is unacceptable. This team has so much talent on O.... really why they are 11-3 and playing for the #1 seed

11-3?.....Please do tell us how you knew the Pats were going to beat Denver 3 days in advance and what was the score?...I need to run to Vegas to bet

;)
The only injuries I'd worry about are the guys trying to tackle Gronk.

I've only seen one play in which he risked injury to himself, and that was when he got flipped and landed on his neck. Nothing else he does is reckless, he just uses pure strength and athletic ability to out-muscle others to the ball. He doesn't do fancy spin moves and jukes or anything like that. All of his direction changes are just him running at an angle.

The only thing worrisome is how many defenders go for his legs, and so far the only thing to ever hurt Gronk was the endzone knocking the wind out of him.

He does NOT play dangerously on a regular basis.

in summary: the only thing that can stop Gronk is a Planet!

I disagree, the earth has a small dent in it Gronk is fine;)

Last edited:
Both Francis and Coates were bad asses themselves for sure. But what they showed us later in their careers mostly, Gronk still has 3 or 4 years of improvement and growth to even get there. Now injuries are the wildcard of course, but knock on wood we haven't even seen the guy in his prime yet - those prime 24 to 28 yrs that we best remember and compare these other top two TEs for their top production and domination for the most part.

Last edited:
Ya know, I love Gronk, glad he's here but Ben Coates might just have something to say about the PATS perfect tight end. Come to think of it, so might Russ Francis. Ah history, so many ignore it at their peril.
Coats couldn't block like The Gronk, also wasn't as powerful. I think Coats wa about 245 vs 265 for gronkowski

Last edited:
Love Hernandez and Gronk to death...but just what if the Pats had taken Jimmy Graham instead of Hernandez. Jimmy Graham is just a special athlete in his own right...he runs like WR...things that make you go Hmmmm.

Respectfully submitted, but funk THAT. :mad:

Aaron the Navigator is playing hurt, this year, gradually working his way back towards 100%.

Given good health next year, he is poised to explode for a magical year.

Given my druthers, I'd've picked all three!! :rocker:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well played, sir. :cool:

We all have to do our part. :D

Me, I only follow Red Sox games when we're at bat.

True Story!! If the other team's up, I change the channel!!

You're KIDDING...RIGHT??? :rofl:

Coates and Francis were awesome.

I watched them in action, back then, and I'm a big fan of both.

But Rob Gronkowksi is a brutal, ferocious, MAULING nasty Blocker.

...AND, oh yes: A record SHATTERING receiving threat.

There is no comparison.

Ah, history: So many obsess about it...to their peril. :rolleyes:

Rob Gronkowski of the Patriots might be the perfect tight end. Any one else have a problem with the word "might?" This kid is so good it's ridiculous. He's done to our passing attack what Calvin Johnson does to Detroit. He has 1000yrd and 15 td's in 13 games. That's a top of the line wr right there. Oh, he's 6'6" 260lb and will knock you on your arse too. Might?? Please tell me when Jimmy Graham(Whom I love as a receiver) knocks some de off the line of scrimmage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore