PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Road to TC : Picks & Consequences

Keep in mind that the Patriots generally keep 5 RB on the main roster. The only time they've gone below that is when there are injuries and they didn't have someone to add.

I think Taylor is more likely headed to the PS than Harris.

Players I don’t see making this team :
Stidham, JJ Taylor, Harry, David Patten

Players I don’t see making this team :
Stidham, JJ Taylor, Harry, David Patten
Dude - You know Patten died last September, Right?

You dont try to “slide“ 4rd QBs - if not injured he's basically a lock.

That depends upon who is willing to put him on their active roster, but I basically agree that he will make the cut.

Dude - You know Patten died last September, Right?
(1) I was referencing the “no way ____ makes this team” from patsfans lore

(2) people on this forum are obsessed with death : the random memorandums, etc…

(3) our time is short, and I’m not really worried about the eventuality

(1) I was referencing the “no way ____ makes this team” from patsfans lore

(3) our time is short, and I’m not really worried about the eventuality

kudos for both - the original sneak and this great post

QB (3) M.Jones, B.Hoyer, B.Zappe
RB (4) D.Harris, R.Stevenson, P.Strong, T.Montgomery
WR (6) D.Parker, N.Agholor, K.Bourne, J.Meyers, T.Thornton, M.Slater
TE (4) J.Smith, H.Henry, D.Asiasi, D.Keene
C (2) D.Andrews, C.Hines
G (4) M.Onwenu, C.Strange, D.Desjarlais, W.Sherman
T (3) I.Wynn, T.Brown, Y.Cajuste
DE (2) D.Wise, T.Flowers
DT (4) L.Guy, C.Barmore, D.Godchaux, C.Davis
ILB(4) J.Bentley, R.McMillan, C.McGrone, M.Wilson
OLB(4) M.Judon, J.Uche, A.Jennings, R.Perkins
CB (5) M.Butler, Jo.Jones, M.Jones, J.Mills, S.Wade
SS (2) K.Dugger, A.Phillips
FS (3) D.McCourty, J.Peppers, C.Davis
ST (3) N.Folk, J.Bailey, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2019

I'm surprised their isn't a sticky in the Pub forum devoted to celebrity deaths.
Big money making potential there for you Ian.
Deux would thrive there. He might split his time there and the Gronkateers forum.
His "thoughts and prayers" to deceased 1960's stars always tugs at the heartstrings.

@ D FRONT

I did not expect significant additions to Front 6/7 except maybe EDGE. Was on the record, argued in vain that no matter what fans think of players on the roster - judging by contracts, tape, last yr Draft, experience and the particular point of this being a year 2 of rebuild - DL and LB would be an afterthought. Still did not imagine that they would completely punt on LB class full of promising PTP prospects that went as deep as 6th round (Beavers) or even UDFA (Sanborn etc). I got my binkie in McGrone last yr so im not complaining..

LB will be very competitive in TC as it is - returning so many young injured players. The competition without clear starters apart from Bentley should sort things out and bring some quality to the top. Another reason for passing on Draft is that all 3 boogymen are still available. As much as i oike them i wouldn't like them back to give youngster every opportunity to step up. In the end - if need be - they can prob still bring back KVN in some capacity.

DL is returning all 5 starters/rotational players. Fans are not happy but im good with it at this point. I wouldn't mind the addition of someone like Hicks or Goldman, Suh and Belichick might want to pair together in the end, maybe Payne is an option (@patsfanfromoversea closely monitoring the situation) but they would prob require borrowing $ from next year adding guarantees down the road and i dont think it is worth it at the moment at this position. From a rebuilding standpoint it makes more sense to play out existing contracts (God, Guy) since there is significant dead $ attached and attack the position next FA. If somebody of the above wants to come on the cheap then by all means.
They added Roberts and Ray to the bottom of depth chart so its also a bit crowded position atm. Prob the end of the road for our friend Bill Murray and maybe early surprise cut, hopefully not Ekuale who showed glimpses of valuable rotational player.

EDGE was a head scratcher for me as well. Hopefully punting on good draft class means: 1. they like what they see behind the scenes of Perkins, maybe Jennings 2. They still believe in finding the right job for Uche, 3. They are bringing back Flowers (maybe Clowney on relative cheap). Big edge setter, pocket collapser remains a need imo or at least another big rusher. Just hope they are not betting on Anderson's resurrection...

QB (3) M.Jones, B.Hoyer, B.Zappe
RB (4) D.Harris, R.Stevenson, P.Strong, T.Montgomery
WR (6) D.Parker, N.Agholor, K.Bourne, J.Meyers, T.Thornton, M.Slater
TE (4) J.Smith, H.Henry, D.Asiasi, D.Keene
C (2) D.Andrews, C.Hines
G (4) M.Onwenu, C.Strange, D.Desjarlais, W.Sherman
T (3) I.Wynn, T.Brown, Y.Cajuste
DE (2) D.Wise, T.Flowers
DT (4) L.Guy, C.Barmore, D.Godchaux, C.Davis
ILB(4) J.Bentley, R.McMillan, C.McGrone, M.Wilson
OLB(4) M.Judon, J.Uche, A.Jennings, R.Perkins
SS (2) K.Dugger, A.Phillips
FS (3) D.McCourty, J.Peppers, C.Davis
ST (3) N.Folk, J.Bailey, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2019
Jack Jones doesn’t make the roster? White on PUP or just does’t make the team?

Really nice first stab.

@ D FRONT

I did not expect significant additions to Front 6/7 except maybe EDGE. Was on the record, argued in vain that no matter what fans think of players on the roster - judging by contracts, tape, last yr Draft, experience and the particular point of this being a year 2 of rebuild - DL and LB would be an afterthought. Still did not imagine that they would completely punt on LB class full of promising PTP prospects that went as deep as 6th round (Beavers) or even UDFA (Sanborn etc). I got my binkie in McGrone last yr so im not complaining..

LB will be very competitive in TC as it is - returning so many young injured players. The competition without clear starters apart from Bentley should sort things out and bring some quality to the top. Another reason for passing on Draft is that all 3 boogymen are still available. As much as i oike them i wouldn't like them back to give youngster every opportunity to step up. In the end - if need be - they can prob still bring back KVN in some capacity.

DL is returning all 5 starters/rotational players. Fans are not happy but im good with it at this point. I wouldn't mind the addition of someone like Hicks or Goldman, Suh and Belichick might want to pair together in the end, maybe Payne is an option (@patsfanfromoversea closely monitoring the situation) but they would prob require borrowing $ from next year adding guarantees down the road and i dont think it is worth it at the moment at this position. From a rebuilding standpoint it makes more sense to play out existing contracts (God, Guy) since there is significant dead $ attached and attack the position next FA. If somebody of the above wants to come on the cheap then by all means.
They added Roberts and Ray to the bottom of depth chart so its also a bit crowded position atm. Prob the end of the road for our friend Bill Murray and maybe early surprise cut, hopefully not Ekuale who showed glimpses of valuable rotational player.

EDGE was a head scratcher for me as well. Hopefully punting on good draft class means: 1. they like what they see behind the scenes of Perkins, maybe Jennings 2. They still believe in finding the right job for Uche, 3. They are bringing back Flowers (maybe Clowney on relative cheap). Big edge setter, pocket collapser remains a need imo or at least another big rusher. Just hope they are not betting on Anderson's resurrection...
Thanks for starting the thread, putting in all the work and sharing your thoughts. I always appreciate your threads about the overall roster and specific positions groups , it’s very informative

I will follow it closely and hopefully contribute some things as the post draft free agency starts and camps get closer

You dont try to “slide“ 4rd QBs - if not injured he's basically a lock.
The last time that a 4th rounder didn't make the 53 (or an injury list) was NEVER. Zappe will be on the 53.

Really nice first stab.
Jack Jones would be there. White probably does not make it. Jennings / Keene probably does not make it. Jack Jones is our JC Jackson replacement.

Joejuan Williams is also a certain cut.
Not so sure about that, he's the only large corner on the team and might be used for press matchups like Brandon Browner was -- especially given all the dwarves at CB. He got 35% of the defensive snap counts last year and 25% of the ST snaps. Unlike Harry, I think he still has upside if only in a limited role.

I
Not so sure about that, he's the only large corner on the team and might be used for press matchups like Brandon Browner was -- especially given all the dwarves at CB. He got 35% of the defensive snap counts last year and 25% of the ST snaps. Unlike Harry, I think he still has upside if only in a limited role.
Shaun Wade said hi.

Really nice first stab.
I think someone gets the Flu. I'm really high on Wade. If his head is right...he will really contribute. My choice was between him and Jack Jones. Wade already has a year in the system. White starts the season on PUP IMO.

Adding two RBs was the biggest surprise and while on closer look there is some reasoning for it - it still remains iffy use of resources.

At first glance Strong would project as insurance for White coming back from nagging inj. (might not be fully ready for TC - prob start on PUP) and replacement of JJ Taylor who was not able to really step up so far. BB usually keeps 4th rounders on 53 roster so it will be interesting to see how the math works out with Montgomery a strong candidate to fill Bolden spot + backing up WR position.
White has only 500k guaranteed so he is not a lock in any case.
One thing about Strong, he's reported to be very strong in blitz pickup, and JJ couldn't handle a HS blitz (which is probably why he hasn't managed to get on to the field).

One thing about Strong, he's reported to be very strong in blitz pickup, and JJ couldn't handle a HS blitz (which is probably why he hasn't managed to get on to the field).
Also I was happy to hear JJ bulked up a little recently but yeah...blocking is to put in mildly...huge.

Shaun Wade said hi.
Yeah at 6'1 he looks up to 6'4 Joejuan and 6'4 Browner as he waves. And wonders why he has only had success as a slot corner.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back