PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ridley Fumbles - Let's not let facts get in the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the last place I want to see him.

He's going to ride the pine for a while now and will get reps in games where we are far ahead. As of right now, he is at the bottom of the depth chart.

Agreed. 10 chrs

Vereen is not taking Ridley's reps..Bolden and Blount will though. I guess BB has to use him the rest of the season, but his ball security awareness LOOKS likje it's non existent. I saw his fumble very clearly as thousands of others did I'm sure. Real bad play given the circumstances. He used a spin move into the line. THat ball had to go ten feet up in the air.

People clearly haven't watched Blount prior to this season. He fumbles more often than Ridley, he just did it for TB where it didn't get much press. If people are frustrated with Ridley who is obviously the best pure runner on the team, just wait until the backlash against Blount.

If people want to scream for Bolden to get more carries, fine. But Blount's name should be nowhere in the conversation (not to mention Blount's career long inability to convert tough yards).

Ridley is like that ex-girlfriend whose number you call when you know you shouldn't. It starts off great, reminding of the good times and this time it may actually work out but he/she ends up breaking your heart and you feel sick wondering why it went wrong.

Hopefully we don't drunk text Ridley during the playoffs.

I can remember when Kevin Faulk had fumbling problems his first 3 years. Glad they didn't cut him then.

Last edited:
I can remember when Kevin Faulk had fumbling problems his first 3 years. Glad they didn't cut him then.

I can too and I agree with you completely. You cannot cut a guy like Ridley you have to work with him, clearly by his reaction of almost putting his helmet through the turf at Gillette shows that he cares about the game and is upset about his errors. Ridley needs to work on his mechanics carrying the football and I am sure he will work it out, he is very talented and I cannot foresee him being cut I think Belichick takes great pride in developing his players and working with them on their flaws he will make Ridley a better ball carrier and then reap the benefits of his success I have no doubt in my mind.

Fans are still defending this guy! Unbelievable.

Ozymandias is the only one bringing this up. Pretend Ridley never fumbles, what is he compared to the rest of the league at RB? An average, overrated RB.

-Above average runner
-No receiving ability
-No breakaway ability

He's an inferior version of Alfred Morris. How many RBs would you take over Ridley? For me:

Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Charles
Marshawn Lynch
Alfred Morris
Matt Forte
Frank Gore
Lesean McCoy
Reggie Bush
DeMarco Murray
Zac Stacy
Giovani Bernard
Fred Jackson
CJ Spiller (healthy)
Doug Martin
Arian Foster (healthy)

All these RBs are either better runners, possess receiving ability or breakaway ability that make them better overall RBs than Ridley.

Conclusion: So we're going to deal with a fumbling problem for an average RB? It's superbowl 48, Russell Wilson is on the other side. We're going to hand this stiff the ball at frozen Metlife and give the Seahawks more opportunities in the biggest game of the year?

Shut. Him. Down.

There are, indisputably, at least three kinds of causes for fumbles:

• Bad technique.
  • Bad/unlucky field vision. (This applies especially to strip sacks of QBs, but can also apply to ball carriers.)
  • Hellacious hits.
I'd raise the number further, by saying there are different circumstances for technique, the extremes being when you're trying to push through a pile and when you're trying to juke somebody in the open field.

What I can't accept from Ridley is poor technique when he's plowing through heavy traffic. My first thought for the coaches is to do whatever it takes -- including intimidation-through-benching -- to correct that, while groaning and bearing it if he fumbles in more open-field kinds of situations.

My reasoning behind that is that wrapping up the ball up tightly presumably takes him out of his preferred posture and balance; otherwise he wouldn't use bad technique in the first place. And there's less cost from that disadvantage when he's plowing through a melee than when he's running in the almost-clear.

Thank you. I absolutely agree with this, but was unable to articulate it like you did. Would he be less effective if he wrapped up the ball better? Probably in most situations.

The questions are: 1. Is he capable of [or even willing to] sacrifice some yardage for ball security? and 2. Will he be a good enough RB to keep around if he runs around with two hands on the ball like Gronk does when he's in traffic?

I am of the opinion that his time here in New England is up unless there are injuries.

Fumbles have ruined many a career here in the NFL. If you can't hold onto the ball, you can't make it in this league no matter how many yards you can get.

You know what has made Belichick the greatest coach of all time? His ability to take players who had flaws or issues and teach them to overcome them, if Belichick brings in players consistently from other teams who have had issues, down years, etc. and he is able to help them overcome their issue why would he dump Ridley? The Maroney comparisons are ridiculous because Maroney was not traded because he fumbled a lot he was traded because he was a pot head idiot who didn’t care about the game, I have seen nothing in Ridley to suggest he is that type of player.

He will not be cut or traded, Bill will do what he does best and develop young players, I swear people forget Ridley is 24 years old and only in his 3rd season in the NFL; RGIII has more fumbles this season than Ridley has in his career and I don’t think anyone is petitioning for his dismissal in Washington. When you rely on young players you have to expect and accept the fact they’re going make mistakes.

Conclusion: So we're going to deal with a fumbling problem for an average RB? It's superbowl 48, Russell Wilson is on the other side. We're going to hand this stiff the ball at frozen Metlife and give the Seahawks more opportunities in the biggest game of the year?

Russell Wilson has 8 fumbles and Lynch has 3 fumbles this season - sure why not give Ridley the rock :confused:

The reason Ridley is expendable is because he can't play on 3rd downs. He's a good runner, but for a guy playing mainly when we're up, early in the game or against inferior teams we expect ball control

Russell Wilson has 8 fumbles and Lynch has 3 fumbles this season - sure why not give Ridley the rock :confused:

I don't get your point about Wilson. I was stating giving up possessions to a great opposing QB is dumb. Once again, Marshawn Lynch is an elite RB with almost double the carries of Ridley and fewer fumbles.

Ridley has the most fumbles of any non-QB in the league this season. Yeah, it's an issue and it's going to be an issue going forward if he keeps holding the ball low and away. If he holds it high and tight, that fumble never happens last night.

Ridley has the most fumbles of any non-QB in the league this season. Yeah, it's an issue and it's going to be an issue going forward if he keeps holding the ball low and away. If he holds it high and tight, that fumble never happens last night.

Keep in mind that he has the most on only 135 carries. Peterson/McCoy/Lynch/Charles all have 200+ carries and fewer fumbles.

I'm just getting aggravated at the constant defense of this guy. It really reminds me of the Maroney days on this board.

Ridley either needs to change the way he runs, or accept the fact he's not long for this team. This isn't the 1970's or 1980's any more where you could get away with turnovers knowing the defense would likely help you out. In today's NFL they hurt and they cost points.

I really really like Ridley as a runner, but this **** stops. Now.

I'll repeat: There were ELEVEN (11) fumbles last night - - 2 fumbles by the "Player of the Game" Julian Edelman.

The ball was an ice cube.

Fans are still defending this guy! Unbelievable.

Ozymandias is the only one bringing this up. Pretend Ridley never fumbles, what is he compared to the rest of the league at RB? An average, overrated RB.

-Above average runner
-No receiving ability
-No breakaway ability

He's an inferior version of Alfred Morris. How many RBs would you take over Ridley? For me:

Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Charles
Marshawn Lynch
Alfred Morris
Matt Forte
Frank Gore
Lesean McCoy
Reggie Bush
DeMarco Murray
Zac Stacy
Giovani Bernard
Fred Jackson
CJ Spiller (healthy)
Doug Martin
Arian Foster (healthy)

All these RBs are either better runners, possess receiving ability or breakaway ability that make them better overall RBs than Ridley.

Shut. Him. Down.

Great. Any of those RBs available?

No, they're not.

Ridley is still the best RB they have and it really isn't close. Blount's not the answer, Vereen's not a full time back which leaves Bolden. Who would you rather have Ridley or Bolden? While there is a chance Bolden could be a starting level RB, he has not yet proven so.

I don't get your point about Wilson. I was stating giving up possessions to a great opposing QB is dumb. Once again, Marshawn Lynch is an elite RB with almost double the carries of Ridley and fewer fumbles.

My point is Wilson is a young players as is Ridley they both have some flaws in their game at this point that need to be worked out but if Carroll is not benching Wilson we should not be cutting Stevan Ridley.

For every RB who fixed their fumbling problems there's probably 20 that didn't.
Will Ridley figure it out? Hopefully. Would I be surprised if he doesn't and is let go at the end of his rookie contract? Nope

Great. Any of those RBs available?

No, they're not.

Ridley is still the best RB they have and it really isn't close. Blount's not the answer, Vereen's not a full time back which leaves Bolden. Who would you rather have Ridley or Bolden? While there is a chance Bolden could be a starting level RB, he has not yet proven so.

I'm fine with Bolden/Vereen for the rest of the year. Bolden has busted two 25+ runs this season on only 51 attempts (Ridley 0), has demonstrated receiving ability, and most of all, has 0 career fumbles. He also has a career 5.0ypc in limited time.

Bolden should remain the starter until he plays poorly.

Keep in mind that he has the most on only 135 carries. Peterson/McCoy/Lynch/Charles all have 200+ carries and fewer fumbles.

I'm just getting aggravated at the constant defense of this guy. It really reminds me of the Maroney days on this board.

In terms of talent, Ridley is a very gifted back. Probably the best pure RB on this team. He just has a very old habit that isn't going away and that's causing a fumbling issue.

I'll repeat: There were ELEVEN (11) fumbles last night - - 2 fumbles by the "Player of the Game" Julian Edelman.

The ball was an ice cube.

Player of the game? That's just another excuse shmessy... Edelman needs to be cut along with Ridley, Brady and Blount... They can't be trusted in the playoffs it is time to turn to Mallett, Develin and Boyce they have no fumbles this season they get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes