PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ridley Fumbles - Let's not let facts get in the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and Ridley's was one that could very easily be prevented. High and tight, not low and away. They teach RB's this in pee wee football. For Ridley, low and away is a very bad habit, and those are the hardest to break.

It was the same last week. He's dangling the ball out there, away from his body, in a way where it's relatively easy to strip it away or put a helmet on it. Sometimes it is just bad luck, but for the last two weeks it's been terrible form on his part.

As a general rule, if the ball is away from the RB's body, he's RBing wrong.

Good. Willingness to address the problem and the camaraderie of a fellow LSU player who had a worse problem.

Different styles, but there's no doubt Faulk worked through this and saved his career.

When Stevan fumbles, my frustration is matched by my disappointment for him. He is a really talented runner and a big contributor. Fumbling is the only thing in the way of a very promising career. It's sad to see and I really hope he can overcome it.

can we let facts get in the way yet?

Doesn't it seem like a very easy problem to fix? It's really all about how he holds the ball. What am I missing that makes it more difficult than that?

Like the Panthers game, oh, he already cost the patriots a game.

Do you really believe a fumble at the 11-minute mark of the second quarter cost the team the game? Do you really truly believe that was the reason we lost? Or are you just being ridiculous?

Newton made huge plays with his legs, the Panthers went 8-11 on 3rd down, and converted several big plays in the 4th quarter. Despite Ridley's fumble, we were still up in the 4th quarter and still had a chance to win the game. So to say the Ridley fumble alone didn't cost us the game is absolutely false and ridiculous.

A fumble is a big deal, we get it. At the same time, Julian Edelman has more fumbles than Ridley. The difference is that his have been recovered, with Buchanan falling on one last night just in time despite 4 Broncos being around.

Ridley needs to do a better job securing the ball, absolutely. So does Jules. And Solder needs to do a better job so Brady isn't hit from his blindside like last night.

But continue to crucify the guy while ignoring everyone else's issues.

Am i the only that thinks that last fumble wasn't 100% his fault? That was a poor blocking scheme that left riddley completely exposed.
I put it at 97%

Am i the only that thinks that last fumble wasn't 100% his fault? That was a poor blocking scheme that left riddley completely exposed.
I put it at 97%

No he saw it coming and could have just taken the hit. Instead he did a dumb slow spin that caused him to get nailed.

I still hope he gets every shot to fix his issues and remain the feature back. Denver is a team we should be able to run on and you just didn't see that with Bolden in there. In general, the run game takes a severe downgrade when Ridley is not in aside from Vereen but he hasn't had enough chances yet to really tell.

I put it at 97%

No offense, but anybody that knows anything about football knows that was Ridley's fault. As a runner, you're never, ever, EVER supposed to carry the ball low and away. ESPECIALLY when you're hitting the hole. It's supposed to be high and tight. If that ball was carried high and tight, that fumble doesn't happen.

I put it at 97%

uhhhh, YES. YOU ARE the only one.

It may have been bad blocking that a guy came through the line untouched; but HELLO this is football; that has to be expected on 10%+ of the plays. If you're lucky it comes through at a point in line where he cant make a play; if not .....
Regardless; he is IN TRAFFIC - TWO HANDS ARE REQUIRED

Do you really believe a fumble at the 11-minute mark of the second quarter cost the team the game? Do you really truly believe that was the reason we lost? Or are you just being ridiculous?

Newton made huge plays with his legs, the Panthers went 8-11 on 3rd down, and converted several big plays in the 4th quarter. Despite Ridley's fumble, we were still up in the 4th quarter and still had a chance to win the game. So to say the Ridley fumble alone didn't cost us the game is absolutely false and ridiculous.

A fumble is a big deal, we get it. At the same time, Julian Edelman has more fumbles than Ridley. The difference is that his have been recovered, with Buchanan falling on one last night just in time despite 4 Broncos being around.

Ridley needs to do a better job securing the ball, absolutely. So does Jules. And Solder needs to do a better job so Brady isn't hit from his blindside like last night.

But continue to crucify the guy while ignoring everyone else's issues.

Fumble lost while in FG range. Yes, I really believe that TURNOVERS can cost a team a win. I know it is a shocking revelation, but there it is, being -1 in turnover differential is enough of a difference, especially when possessions are limited.

Fumble lost while in FG range. Yes, I really believe that TURNOVERS can cost a team a win. I know it is a shocking revelation, but there it is, being -1 in turnover differential is enough of a difference, especially when possessions are limited.

I'm not disagreeing about the impact of turnovers in a game. All I'm saying there is a huge difference between saying it CAN cost a team versus your claim that it DID cost the team the game. Your claim that Ridley cost us the game is absolutely incorrect and false.

He contributed, sure. So did our sad 3rd-down D. So did the OL miscommunication. So did a few personal foul penalties.

A game is not decided by a fumble in the second quarter. It made it more difficult to win. But we still held the lead in the 4th quarter and had several different chances to win the game outright regardless of that one play in the second quarter. Ridley fumbled against Pittsburgh and we won. He fumbled against Denver and we won. So to claim his fumble against Carolina cost us the game is absolutely, positively, 100% wrong.

Blount's (I realize that this is a Ridley thread, but...) fumble was caused by a helmet to helmet hit (close to the ear hole) that wasn't called. I swear that is what I seen the other night.

Where was the helmet to helmet call? :mad:

Blount's (I realize that this is a Ridley thread, but...) fumble was caused by a helmet to helmet hit (close to the ear hole) that wasn't called. I swear that is what I seen the other night.

Where was the helmet to helmet call? :mad:

Helmet to helmet is perfectly legal there. He could have forearmed to the head if he wanted as well. You can't hit a qb(in the pocket) or a defenseless receiver in the head.

No offense, but anybody that knows anything about football knows that was Ridley's fault. As a runner, you're never, ever, EVER supposed to carry the ball low and away. ESPECIALLY when you're hitting the hole. It's supposed to be high and tight. If that ball was carried high and tight, that fumble doesn't happen.

I still put it at 97% ridley. The patriots should have made adjustments before having there play blown up like that.

Most of ridley fumbles look flukey or great plays by the defenders.

I still put it at 97% ridley. The patriots should have made adjustments before having there play blown up like that.

Most of ridley fumbles look flukey or great plays by the defenders.

:confused:

The defense was giving them the run at that point, and the Pats ran. The fumble is 100% on Ridley. He knew it too, which is why he slammed his helmet down as he came off the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News