PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ricky Sapp may be a better fit for the Patriots than you think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every 6'4-6'6" guy 250 pounds or greater who is athletic and runs a 4.6 or better is the magical missing elephant we need to put us over the top. It's laughable.

We need a rethinking of the defense. If staffing it is so difficult, then switch up to a defense where you can plug in off the shelf players...there are a lot more of them, so they aren't as hard to get.

yeah......you can't be so set on every detail of a scheme where you can never find the LB's to be effective in it.......its real hard finding guys who are 270 lbs that can cover a 250 lb TE or a 200 lb RB.......

Why is it that Parcells can find/convert/draft tons of 3-4 OLB types (Ware, Spencer, Ellis, McGinest, Slade, Porter, Taylor etc. etc. etc.) whereever he goes and we are stuck with a seventh round draft pick that can't play the run; 2 veteran retreads and an UDFA who is exclusively a ST player?

I mean, let's face the facts, BB traded two draft picks for Burgess, who absolutely stunk up the joint!

Where does the BB OLB Madness end? BB has built layer upon layer of catch 22 impossibilities around this one position.

BB says he wants "Big guys that can run fast."

Ok so player X is 6'4" weighs over 250 pounds, and runs a 4.6 forty. Let's draft and develop him. No, says BB, this player can't set the edge against the run.

Ok no problem, here is player Y, almost the same as player X, but with more strength at the point of attack to set a mean edge, only not quite as fast. Let's draft and develop him. No, says BB, this player has no experience in coverage.

OK, we move on, here is player Z, almost the same as players X and Y, except he can play in coverage and set a mean edge equally well; but he is a little shorter than player X or Y. Let's draft and develop him. No says BB, this player can't rush the passer.

OK one more time, here is player A, almost the same as the players listed above except he was a real good pass rusher in college. Let's draft and develop him. No, says BB, this kid has only one year of starting experience in college. I don;t have enough tape on him.

OK final time, here is player B, almost the same as the players listed above, except he started three years in college. Let's draft and develop him. No, says BB, this player only played at a DII school, I want kids that came from a big school.

All five of the examples above are kids available in this draft. And all five are missing one key component in the BB checklist of desired OLB characteristics. And while any of the other 3-4 teams would drool over the opportunity to select any one of these kids, BB continues to pass on them draft after draft.

Bottom line is BB would rather burn draft picks on worthless retreads, like Burgess, than draft and develop one of these kids. Madness or genius, you make the call?

Why is it that Parcells can find/convert/draft tons of 3-4 OLB types (Ware, Spencer, Ellis, McGinest, Slade, Porter, Taylor etc. etc. etc.) whereever he goes and we are stuck with a seventh round draft pick that can't play the run; 2 veteran retreads and an UDFA who is exclusively a ST player?

I mean, let's face the facts, BB traded two draft picks for Burgess, who absolutely stunk up the joint!

Where does the BB OLB Madness end? BB has built layer upon layer of catch 22 impossibilities around this one position.

BB says he wants "Big guys that can run fast."

Ok so player X is 6'4" weighs over 250 pounds, and runs a 4.6 forty. Let's draft and develop him. No, says BB, this player can't set the edge against the run.

Ok no problem, here is player Y, almost the same as player X, but with more strength at the point of attack to set a mean edge, only not quite as fast. Let's draft and develop him. No, says BB, this player has no experience in coverage.

OK, we move on, here is player Z, almost the same as players X and Y, except he can play in coverage and set a mean edge equally well; but he is a little shorter than player X or Y. Let's draft and develop him. No says BB, this player can't rush the passer.

OK one more time, here is player A, almost the same as the players listed above except he was a real good pass rusher in college. Let's draft and develop him. No, says BB, this kid has only one year of starting experience in college. I don;t have enough tape on him.

OK final time, here is player B, almost the same as the players listed above, except he started three years in college. Let's draft and develop him. No, says BB, this player only played at a DII school, I want kids that came from a big school.

All five of the examples above are kids available in this draft. And all five are missing one key component in the BB checklist of desired OLB characteristics. And while any of the other 3-4 teams would drool over the opportunity to select any one of these kids, BB continues to pass on them draft after draft.

Bottom line is BB would rather burn draft picks on worthless retreads, like Burgess, than draft and develop one of these kids. Madness or genius, you make the call?

That's exactly right, wasn't bb good at taking the best players had and hiding the weaknesses somehow?

I can only think/hope the defense is in for some radical adjustment now that bb realizes what a disaster it was.

He likes his veterans too much because they have experience, but won't actually draft rookies who have potential. Burgess was a huge bust..a 3rd for that bum, I agree.

BTW I wouldn't take Sapp till the 2nd round. I think the knees are a risk and he still has questions about how he will hold up against the run. But as a pure athletic speciman, I think he's worth taking a shot in round 2 if you're inclined in that direction and he lasts that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft