PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rick Gosselin's Final Mock [merged X2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gosselin Final Mock 2010

I dreamed about 3 weeks ago that we draft Dez Bryant. On the surface it makes no sense to me, which is why I think it may just happen.

it sure would make this years offense nasty... and prepare us for the future at WR.

So I think if he is available, it happens.

However...
I rather draft Jermaine Gresham, Tight end, Oklahoma, he looks pretty amazing in size and speed, and I miss production from the TE position.

I want Brady to have a weapon like a solid TE for the next 8 years... TE's have long careers, and don't command the money that a top WR does.

Speaking of dreams, I had a dream last night that Dez Bryant slipped big time, too. In the dream, the Patriots made a deal with the Saints, swapping 1st rounders and presumably netting another pick. With their pick, the Patriots selected DE Tyson Alualu from Cal. Dez Bryant was still on the board.
Does this matter? No. But, I just wanted to put it on record, just in case it actually happens.

Last edited:

Dunno know about this one.. with Hughes, Bryant and Odrick on the board, this could be a WTF moment if true.

Even if they weren't on the board, it would be a WTF moment if it happened. Safety is the deepest position on the defense.

Re: Rick Gosselin's "Final Mock (merged)

Nolan nawrocki had 15 hits in his final mock last year. He's well worth watching for tomorrow.

He also had us taking Thomas at one point.

Several folks, including I believe the reliable Mike Mayock on NFLN, had Thmoas ranked ahead of Eric Berry as the best safety because he played a more all around game. The guy would be the best player on the board at 22 no doubt. Don't forget about Marshall and Homes' arrival in the AFC east before you discount this pick. Thomas can run and cover as well as hit and has more of the "it" factor than Merriweather has turned out to have. Thomas, merriweather, Chung, sanders would feature formidable game for other OC's to deal with. I'd take him not trade down.

I watch most UT games and I would be very happy with this pick. If Earl Thomas is drafted by the Patriots, he will be a starter from week 1. He's good enough to play corner, meaning he could play safety or corner, depending on the situation. Think of Asante with more speed and tackling ability.

My only problem with this is that there is no way Thomas would get past Houston at #20, even if Spiller is there. Philly would also make a move to go up and get him, if he slides this far.

BTW, notice that Kindle is not among the first-round picks, which I agree with.

and has more of the "it" factor than Merriweather has turned out to have.

Well that's an appropriately nebulous attribute you've coined.

And you can say this from having observed Thomas' play in the NFL, correct?

While Thomas may be a solid pick, safety is almost the position of least need. Definitely a television out the window moment if it comes to pass.

Last edited:

Some on this thread make their choice based on dreams, some based on need, some on hunches. There are few true believers.
===========
Belichick is a true believer in BPA. He is a true believer in not forcing the draft because of need. Belichick would pick the highest value on his board. The positions that could not happen (absent a trade) are QB, P and K.
=================

A) Thomas is one of two remaining studs, a potential all-pro, arguably the best defensive back in the draft.

B) Clearly, Gosselin has assessed what GM's think of Bryant, who is willing to take the chance, and who has him off their board. I can certainly understand the patriots not having him on our board, or having the negatives move him well below Thomas. The positive need presmium on WR value is now gone with the securing of Holt.

C) Was Chung really the answer to our future at safety? Many would prefer Thomas. A future of Meriweather, Thomas, Sanders, and Chung would look awefully good.

D) Hughes is likely off the patriot board because of his choice of agent.

E) That being said, I would expect that there would be several potential trades to teams wanting Thomas, Clausen or Bryant. With the board as Gosselin has it, Thomas is a reasonable choice for the 22nd pick. Gosselin is the best at round one mocks. He has found that predicting trades doesn't help, otherwise he'd mock that way.
============================================

PERSONALLY

I don't have the information that Belichick does. I would be choosing among Odrick, McCurty, Jackson and Thomas. Based on what I know, I would choose Odrick. HOWEVER, I will not be disappointed if Belichick rates him much lower than I do.

I would love it if we drafted Thomas. He is a playmaker with speed and he has more intelligence than Meriweather, so we can play Thomas at FS and Merriweather at SS, closer to the box; even though both are really extra CB'son the field.

A ball hawking secondary with Merriweather, Thomas and Butler would be awesome,provided BB spends the next three picks on a DE and two pass rushers.

PS: I think if Thomas is on the board at #22, the Eagles will be calling BB and I think BB pulls the trigger on a trade down to #24; then we can get that third round pick everybody wants BB to have.

I agree whole heartedly with all of this! :rocker:

I don't think that Philly will give us a 3rd to move up two spots from 24 to 22. We'd be lucky to get a 4th. In any case, they can simply wait for McCurty or Jackson. And why should they believe that we would pick Thomas instead of McCurty or Jackson. Sitting at 24, they are guaranteed one of three defensive backs without giving up a pick.

I would love it if we drafted Thomas. He is a playmaker with speed and he has more intelligence than Meriweather, so we can play Thomas at FS and Merriweather at SS, closer to the box; even though both are really extra CB'son the field.

A ball hawking secondary with Merriweather, Thomas and Butler would be awesome,provided BB spends the next three picks on a DE and two pass rushers.

PS: I think if Thomas is on the board at #22, the Eagles will be calling BB and I think BB pulls the trigger on a trade down to #24; then we can get that third round pick everybody wants BB to have.

I don't think that Philly will give us a 3rd to move up two spots from 24 to 22. We'd be lucky to get a 4th. In any case, they can simply wait for McCurty or Jackson. And why should they believe that we would pick Thomas instead of McCurty or Jackson. Sitting at 24, they are guaranteed one of three defensive backs without giving up a pick.

I would flip my lid if they took those DBs over Thomas.

Thomas comes billed as a playmaker which would be tough to pass on for a team that really doesn't have any on defense. Ideally the best player on the board isn't a safety seeing how much they have invested in that spot the last few drafts.

I don't see the Pats looking at Thomas because the need at safety is low with Meriweather, Chung, Sanders and McGowan there. Unless the Pats do something wierd and trade Meriweather to say the Redskins..

Given that BB had Sanders on the bench for part of last season, I think it's safe to say that he's not wed to the current roster at safety. Yes, safety is probably the strongest position on the defense, but it's not as if they've got Reed and Polamalu patrolling back there.

I'm not expecting the team to draft safety in the first round, but I wouldn't die of shock if that was the move.

If BB is dying for a Safety then move up and get Berry - that would be stupid but I think Berry will be a better pro

If BB is dying for a Safety then move up and get Berry - that would be stupid but I think Berry will be a better pro

I expect Berry to end up with the Chiefs, unless K.C. finds a trading partner.

I expect Berry to end up with the Chiefs, unless K.C. finds a trading partner.

I think he is going to be a Chief too - I do not see the Chiefs taking Balaga as some have predicted

BB and Pioli have been trading partners in the past although I just can't see BB moving up into the single digits AND giving an extra pick or so for a safety.

That move would put Pats fans onto the edge of insanity

With that being said,I would not want to wager against the possibility of Berry being the best rookie of 2010 when all is said and done

Last edited:
I think he is going to be a Chief too - I do not see the Chiefs taking Balaga as some have predicted

BB and Pioli have been trading partners in the past although I just can't see BB moving up into the single digits AND giving an extra pick or so for a safety.

That move would put Pats fans onto the edge of insanity

With that being said,I would not want to wager against the possibility of Berry being the best rookie of 2010 when all is said and done

If Pioli were to take Balaga, the Chiefs fan base would probably bring back the era of tar and feathers.

Remember Feb/Mar 2003? The Patriots have Lawyer Milloy (just made the pro bowl) at SS and Tebucky Jones, whom they just franchised at FS. What does BB do next? He goes out and signs Rodney Harrison. Was that a bad move?

Last edited:
Remember Feb/Mar 2003? The Patriots have Lawyer Milloy (just made the pro bowl) at SS and Tebucky Jones, whom they just franchised at FS. What does BB do next? He goes out and signs Rodney Harrison. Was that a bad move?

In 2002, LM his the reverse quenella (0 sacks, 0 INTs, 0 FF, 0 FR). He was done here and BB decided to move in a different direction. BB needed to do something at the SS position.

In 2002, LM his the reverse quenella (0 sacks, 0 INTs, 0 FF, 0 FR). He was done here and BB decided to move in a different direction. BB needed to do something at the SS position.

Exactly.

And Tebucky Jones pretty much sucks.

Meanwhile, Meriweather has 9 picks in the last two seasons.

Lastly, signing one of the best SS's to ever play the game isn't exactly in the same ballpark as drafting someone who could very well be Michael Huff v. 2.0.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back