PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RGIII Holy Roller???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me (as I can't see the video here overseas [from work anyway] ) as I did not see the game last night.

If RGIII fumbled HOW CAN THE BALL BE ADVANCED FOR A TD??????

I thought that was the Holy roller rule and the ball is returned to the spot of fumble if another O player recovers (unless a D recovers and subsequently fumbles a second time).

Or am I CONFUSED because I cant see video???????

That rule only applies on fourth down and in the last two minutes of each half
NFL Rules Digest: Fumble
On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.

That rule only applies on fourth down and in the last two minutes of each half
NFL Rules Digest: Fumble

Thanks (especially for quick reply), didn't remember it was limited time-wise/down-distance like that.

I don't know about those restrictions;

if a Forward Lateral is illegal; why should a forward lateral that bounces off the ground be legal?? ...

Sure there is an element of chance thrown in to how an oblong ball bounces; but if a fumble is being directed rather than just occurring isn't it the same intent. I guess would just require too much ref interpretation - and they suk at that already.

Last edited:
Because a fumble isn't a forward lateral.

Only an intentional forward fumble is considered an illegal forward pass. All other forward fumbles are fumbles.

Last edited:

Only an intentional forward fumble is considered an illegal forward pass. All other forward fumbles are fumbles.

And there are rules against the team with possession intentionally kicking/batting a ball forward under any circumstances.

Last edited:
Well then, that TD should have been called back because RGIII said in his post-game that it was "intentional"...but I think he was kidding.

I was curious after last night, because that fumble was clearly unintentional. But have they ever determined a fumble was intentional and called a penalty for it?

I was curious after last night, because that fumble was clearly unintentional. But have they ever determined a fumble was intentional and called a penalty for it?

Late in halves without timeouts, you never see a player who is about to be tackled inbounds toss the ball out of bounds to stop the clock. It makes sense to do so, but that is considered an intentional fumble and the penalty includes a 10 second runoff.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes