PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFA's - Reiss breaks it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woods is pretty straight forward. They will tender him at a 2nd round level because his special teams skills are too valuable to lose for no compensation.

If someone were to come in and sign him, the Pats will gladly take the 2nd rounder in return.

Don't forget that even if we tender him, we can always decide to match.

The concern there is the "poison pill," but I don't think every team is prepared to use it. It certainly would be interesting if Denver, for example, were to use it against the Patriots.

Re: RFA's - Reese breaks it down.

We continue to accept losing players because of the "need" to allow for the franchising if Cassel and the "need" to pay $29M for the QB position, at least for several months. I don't expect to lose ANY players because of Cassel.

Yes, a 2-3 deal with no RFA would be best for the patriots, but why would Woods sign a deal unless it is for starter's pay like Green? Woods can just wait for the tender and negotiate with several teams.
Oh good grief, Woods at this point in his career is by no means equivalent to Jarvis who was a UFA when he signed his contract. Pierre was a pleasant, but short-lived surprise for NE when he took over for Thomas. He had three starts before he was placed on IR. Green had already sacked Peyton Manning at least twice in the playoffs and filled in all along the DL as the #4 DE by the time his contract came up. Pierre finished the season with 35 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 PD - very positive, but not enough to justify Jarvis money. I'd be willing to split the difference between Yates and Green for Pierre, but he's not yet ready to be a commodity.

I doubt that any team would give up a #2 for Woods. Maybe the Chiefs or Broncos, since they'd know that they were getting a proven 3-4 OLB, but you can get significantly better talent in the second round, so it would be a definite tradeoff. I'd be a little surprised if Alexander or Britt are in the team's plans at $1M+ per year, though Britt is probably more likely to be tendered if I had to guess.

Last edited:

I didn't say that Woods is worth as much as the patriots as Green was when he signed his contract. However, he might be worth that to someone else. I don't think $2.2M is excessive, especially if we want the option to move Thomas inside. Even if Thomas is outside are you really ready to depend on Crable as the first man off the bench at OLB? A first I would take in a second.

Oh good grief, Woods at this point in his career is by no means equivalent to Jarvis who was a UFA when he signed his contract. Pierre was a pleasant, but short-lived surprise for NE when he took over for Thomas. He had three starts before he was placed on IR. Green had already sacked Peyton Manning at least twice in the playoffs and filled in all along the DL as the #4 DE by the time his contract came up. Pierre finished the season with 35 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 PD - very positive, but not enough to justify Jarvis money. I'd be willing to split the difference between Yates and Green for Pierre, but he's not yet ready to be a commodity.

Green was a RFA when he signed his deal. His RFA tender was $1,430,000.00

If woods is tendered a second i can see one of the 3-4 teams picking him up.
he is 26 and has started some games as a 3-4 OLB. He is a DE/OLB conversion UDFA project who is starting ain rotation behind vrabel and adiaus thomas. When AD played DL, ILB woods was the OLB.

so i can definitely see some one pick thim for a 2nd as his value as how many DE/OLB projects work out successfully in NFL. one or 2 a yr in a few years when you can sign woods for a cheap deal for 5 yrs .

Green was a RFA when he signed his deal. His RFA tender was $1,430,000.00
Oops! So he was an RFA who signed an extension or he was tendered to buy time to negotiate and later extended? I checked your page and I'm not clear on the sequence of events. Thank you!

Mav, I agree that Woods is probably worth $2.2M for one year if you can't lock him up longer, but for my first choice I want him longer to see what he can grow into. I reject your thinking that he's worth a great deal more to someone else, yes Mangini may be hungry for an OLB, but is Woods that backer based on limited reps in his 3rd season and Cleveburgh's salary cap hell? Mangini hasn't seen him in practice,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back