PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFA's - Reiss breaks it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Very good info. I see Woods as a keeper, personally. Probably well-worth $1.45M. What do you guys think?

Restricted free agency; Pierre Woods decision - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

NFL teams have until Feb. 26 to submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents, and the Patriots have three players in that category: OLB Pierre Woods, OL Wesley Britt and ILB Eric Alexander.

The following are the tender levels:

• $1.01 million -- low tender
  • $1.45 million -- 2nd-round tender
  • $2.198 million -- 1st-round tender
  • $2.72 million -- 1st- and 3rd-round tender
Other teams can sign restricted free agents to offer sheets, and if the original team doesn't match the offer, it receives draft pick compensation at the level in which the player was tendered.

The low tender level gives the original team a draft pick that corresponds with the round in which the player entered the NFL.

The Patriots' main decision this year is with Woods, who was the top backup at outside linebacker in 2008.

Because Woods entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent, the Patriots are likely to tender him at the second-round level.

Alexander and Britt would likely receive low tenders if the Patriots believe they are in their future plans.

Re: RFA's - Reese breaks it down.

Very good info. I see Woods as a keeper, personally. Probably well-worth $1.45M. What do you guys think?
Agreed, I think he'll be worth that to keep him and the low tender would require no compensation as he was undrafted.

I'd rather have Woods than a 2nd. Woods is worth the $2.2M to us this year. I'm sure that we will also present a long-term offer. We can bring in a linebacker or two, but we need Woods for this year.

I can't see us rendering Alexander. He is just not much use as a linebacker and we have lots of new secial teamers; for example Slater. I expect that we will be bringing back Izzo.

Britt is an open question. The question is O'Callahan's health. The team might decide to keep Britt for a year as the #4, or perhaps sign a three year deal for him as a backup. Britt seems to have little future, but he can backup at both RT and LT. I would not be surprised either way with Britt, and, in the end, it doesn't matter much.
==============

Miguel and Reiss didn't mention ERFA's. We have only one, and tendering Ventrone is a no-brainer.

Last edited:

I can't see us rendering Alexander. He is just not much use as a linebacker and we have lots of new secial teamers; for example Slater. I expect that we will be bringing back Izzo.

Never been all that impressed with Alexander, but Woods is worth the investment..

I'd rather have Woods than a 2nd. Woods is worth the $2.2M to us this year. I'm sure that we will also present a long-term offer. We can bring in a linebacker or two, but we need Woods for this year.
I'd still do the $1.45M. I'd prefer Woods to a #2 given his experience and decent play but we'd also save almost $1M between the two tenders and I don't think another team would give up a #2 for him. I'd be willing to save $800K to risk the difference between Woods and a #2.

I'd still do the $1.45M. I'd prefer Woods to a #2 given his experience and decent play but we'd also save almost $1M between the two tenders and I don't think another team would give up a #2 for him. I'd be willing to save $800K to risk the difference between Woods and a #2.

I would agree with this. Wood is valuable but replaceable. A 2nd round OLB pick such as Clint Sintim/Connor Barwin/Larry English/Paul Kruger would have more of a learning curve, but would likely have more upside as well. We have other needs, and could use the money elsewhere. I'd be happy to keep Woods for $1.45M, but if someone else wanted to sign him I wouldn't cry about it. We have a lot of young players with upside (Redd/Robertson/Crowell) who could probably step in as well.

I'm not sure I would bother to tender Britt or Alexander at all. I just don't see them fitting in, and think there's much better value available. LeVoir has leapfrogged Britt at OT and O'Callaghan should be back. Britt may make it as the #4 OT but he could equally well be a training camp cut, so I certainly wouldn't give him more than the minimum tender. Same thing with Alexander - I hope he won't be on the roster come September. Again, we can use the money elsewhere.

In a normal year, the Patriots would probable tender all of these

guys. This year, if the Patriots franchise Cassel, there may not

be enough money to tender everyone and have enough money to

re-sign Evans, Hochstein, Gaffney, Paxton, etc.

Woods played fairly well last year.

Recall that the coaching staff had him starting in Vrabel's place during the preseason, while Vrabel was out, a clear indication that he is #3 on the depth chart behind Vrabel and Thomas. He also is one of the best special teams players.

That said, I don't think the drop-off from Woods to Crable/Redd is worth more than a second-round draft pick. I would use that second-round tender, and if another team takes Woods, I would be happy with another highly valuable #2.

The Pats could always use that #2 on one of the several DE/OLB tweener's that should be available in the second, like Connor Barwin. Or they could package the Woods #2 with #23 and move up for Everette Brown.

"If" NE wishes to retain any of these three, they will pull a 'Billy Yates' ole move...and sign them to a three year contract with a modest signing bonus and league minimum salaries. Billy was signed in his RFA year to a $2.1M three year contract.

Pierre Woods = #3 OLB, 2 starts and the reports of surprised and please coaches before Heath Miller happened. Signing him to a roughly $2.5M contract for three years (inflation) allows him to continue his development and still reach Free Agency in his prime, win-win for NE/Pierre.

Wesley Britt = #4 OT, frequent game day inactive. With LeVoir and O'Callaghan under contract, Britt is not a critical re-signing. LeVoir beat him out from the start. Re-signing Britt to a Yates-style contract is inexpensive, but not as inexpensive as drafting a Day Two OT for Camp/Practice Squad. I expect him to be allowed to enter UFA.

Eric Alexander = #4 ILB, priority STs. Alexander's position value seems to have hit it's ceiling, he's an adequate emergency ILB. The question for the club is Alexander's Special Teams role going forward...is he an heir to Larry Izzo? I can't answer that question. The Pros: He can take significant emergency ILB reps and be more effective than Izzo. He's a solid Special Teams Ace. The Cons: He's never been a Special Teams star. He's really only an emergency ILB. I expect him to be re-signed to a one year minimum salary contract.

I don't expect any of these three to be tendered, however Pierre's agent could get greedy, in which case tendering Pierre at a second round level ensures some depth at OLB.

We have to sign and extend woods for sure, we have crabel who has not played a down and redd who played like 35 snaps in defence behind him.

It takes a while to develop OLB and even if crabel comes back he will have to learn and contribute. Even if we draft some one we need him in thier.He is 26 and the coaches do trust him as he was coming on stronger..,

Harrison was on aTV and talking about woods lost fumble mentioned how can a guy fall on top a ball and be down by contact and the refs did not make the right call?.

The problem with giving him the 2nd round tender is numbers. This offseason, seemingly 500 million NFL teams are converting from the 4-3 to the 3-4, and they'll all be looking for linebackers. There's a guy in Denver who'd likely take a long, hard look at Mr. Woods, for example.

"

Pierre Woods = #3 OLB, 2 starts and the reports of surprised and please coaches before Heath Miller happened. Signing him to a roughly $2.5M contract for three years (inflation) allows him to continue his development and still reach Free Agency in his prime, win-win for NE/Pierre.

Are you saying $2.5m per year or total? There's no way Woods signs for $2.5m over three years.

The problem with giving him the 2nd round tender is numbers. This offseason, seemingly 500 million NFL teams are converting from the 4-3 to the 3-4, and they'll all be looking for linebackers. There's a guy in Denver who'd likely take a long, hard look at Mr. Woods, for example.
I'm not so in love with Woods that I wouldn't take a #2 pick for him. We have Vrabel, Thomas and presumably Crable at OLB and veteran LB generally are signable later in the FA process. Woods looked decent, very good for a UDFA but now that he's starting to hit the various layers of FA and costing a little more money I wouldn't be running scared about getting a #2 pick for him and moving on although I realize $2.2M isn't THAT much in today's NFL.

Last edited:

Let him look, I say... if Denver wants to give up a #2 for Woods, let's not stop them.

Personally, I don't think any team will give their #2 for Woods. We gave a #2 for Welker. No comparison.

Britt is an open question. The question is O'Callahan's health. The team might decide to keep Britt for a year as the #4, or perhaps sign a three year deal for him as a backup. Britt seems to have little future, but he can backup at both RT and LT. I would not be surprised either way with Britt, and, in the end, it doesn't matter much.
==============

Miguel and Reiss didn't mention ERFA's. We have only one, and tendering Ventrone is a no-brainer.

Best case scenario is they work out a deal w Woods for 2-3 years. Agree he is def worth more than a 2nd rounder to us, but 2.2 milli for one season might be a little rich given cap space will be tight once we tag Cassel.

Last edited:

We have to sign and extend woods for sure, we have crabel who has not played a down and redd who played like 35 snaps in defence behind him.

It takes a while to develop OLB and even if crabel comes back he will have to learn and contribute. Even if we draft some one we need him in thier.He is 26 and the coaches do trust him as he was coming on stronger..,

Harrison was on aTV and talking about woods lost fumble mentioned how can a guy fall on top a ball and be down by contact and the refs did not make the right call?.

it takes a while to develop an ILB too? I think development is part myth. Sure if the guy was a mid or low round pick, but if they eventually got a first rounder I bet he'd be an integral part.

they can have him, I'd take the 2nd rounder. If the Pats have three 2nd rounders I'm sure one will be flipped for a first rounder the following yr.

Are you saying $2.5m per year or total? There's no way Woods signs for $2.5m over three years.
Perhaps, but I'm basing this offer on Billy Yates three year deal when he was an RFA. Woods has two starts as an injury replacement, he's really not so different from Yates at the same point in his career (though we hope he has a higher ceiling). $2.5 million for 3 years with escalators for playing time and performance seems reasonable for a kid who is just starting to bloom - good money while he's developing his game and he hits UFA status in his prime.

it takes a while to develop an ILB too? I think development is part myth. Sure if the guy was a mid or low round pick, but if they eventually got a first rounder I bet he'd be an integral part.

I disagree last 2 years we have had 2 ILB win rookie of the year,could you please name the last olb who won the rookie of the year?.I bet their has been alot of early first round OLB prospects taken.

Last edited:

We continue to accept losing players because of the "need" to allow for the franchising if Cassel and the "need" to pay $29M for the QB position, at least for several months. I don't expect to lose ANY players because of Cassel.

Yes, a 2-3 deal with no RFA would be best for the patriots, but why would Woods sign a deal unless it is for starter's pay like Green? Woods can just wait for the tender and negotiate with several teams.

Best case scenario is they work out a deal w Woods for 2-3 years. Agree he is def worth more than a 2nd rounder to us, but 2.2 milli for one season might be a little rich given cap space will be tight once we tag Cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back