PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFA Bills LG Ryan Bates in for a NEP visit

277157623_4452452351521250_2285918849727199427_n.jpg

NYG are signing every Buffalo free agent these days…

I am not sure how good Bates is but maybe good enough to challenge for LG along with Dejarnais ?

I am not sure how good Bates is but maybe good enough to challenge for LG along with Dejarnais ?

I think he would be the favorite to win that job (assuming the plan is for Onwenu to play RG). Not a lock, but the definitely the favorite.

Patriots Tailgate

Ted Mahoney · c04tt321p0o2hu47cs3o8e1td0m ·

Bills RFA Ryan Bates is also in Foxboro today for a free-agent visit. Intriguing player for the Patriots... Five position versatility, solid at LG down the stretch for Buffalo. Bills have right of first refusal tag on

Don't know about that one... Dude looks like a Center//Left Guard here... not naturally stout enough for the Right side - although he did lift 225 lbs 28 times at the combine - and with arms below minimum standard for Tackle:

His explosion & agility #s aren't Elite, but - in the words of Adam Sandler - not too shabby...

It also goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: He would be INFINITY TIMES INFINITY SQUARED better than Thanksdad; so...
Sign The Beast!!!

Last edited:
Wynn - Bates - Andrews - Onwenu - Brown is not a bad starting point. Depth is sketchy though.
I assume we draft a T pretty high, and add another G too.

I'll say this either way: If he does sign, I WILL confuse he and Billy Yates constantly for the rest of my (or their) life.

If we don't sign him, I hope we at least offer enough to make the Bills hesitate before matching.

CHI seems most likely to sign Bates. I suspect that BUF i moving on, and CHI will make an offer than includes $4M of 2022 cap money. There is no need for CHI to push forward money. They have plenty of cap money and can afford a balanced contract, or even one that in front-loaded.

Are we ready to spend at least $4M of 2022 cap money? Even then, there is no assurance that we will beat CHI's offer.

Are we ready to spend at least $4M of 2022 cap money?
Yes. I don't care if they are saying that his play improved only because a couple starters on the line came back from injury at the same time when he was inserted into the starting lineup. If he plays well when others around him are playing well....good....perfect.

Bill Belichick had dinner w/ Ryan Bates who then got w/Billy Yates. They ordered Buffalo burgers.

SmartSelect_20220322-234956_Samsung Internet.jpg
It's happening.

No big loss at all.

The Bears offered $17M over 4 years, and the Bills matched. Clearly the goal was to get over the $4M mark that the Bills could have given him on the 2nd round tender to guarantee keeping him, but even that wasn't enough.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back