PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan on loss of Edelman, gain of Hogan, Gillislee and Gilmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what he's going to add to the picture once his insider knowledge goes stale.

He has a much deeper knowledge of the current state of the game than the vast majority of commentators. And he likely also has a deeper knowledge of the Pats' offense than any of them - he's struggled for years against Brady. Who knows how he will actually do as a commentator, but he certainly has the potential to be one of the best color commentators out there.

It's potentially like the difference between Matt Chatham's commentary and those Bob's Furniture idiots. Matt has a deep understanding of the game and it shows.

And I'll bet Ryan won't be biased against the Pats either - the better they are, the less his shame in mostly losing to them. That's quite unlike those ex-star-QBs that are clearly jealous of Brady.

Do not care how "football intelligent" Ryan comes across, his need to be a buffoon is greater...

Do not care how "football intelligent" Ryan comes across, his need to be a buffoon is greater...
Which let's face it is another good reason he will fit well in sports media.

I like Ryan, now that he isn't coaching a rival. Guy is a loudmouth, sure, but he's genuine and I think he is pretty smart, football-wise (Maybe not as much in the Administration/Personnel area).

"That’s his brilliant — that’s a guy who runs a whole show, he runs the entire program, whether it’s the draft, and with the draft, trades, free agents, whatever, and obviously the guy knows football better than anybody out there ". Obviously he wasn't going to "Kiss the rings" as an adversary, but he doesn't refuse to accept the truth, which is a fading quality in this mad world we live in

Michael Lombardi goes into this a bit his podcast appearances. Some of those weird trades where we trade back 10 slots to get a usable player, or cheap FA pickups. Erik Rowe fits into this. Mingo? Ayers? Sheard?

My favorite podcast listen by far is Mike Lombardi on "GM Street" because of his experiences as GM and his knowledge and obvious admiration of BB. Plus, Lombardi loves to voice opinions and theories, and he actually occasionally admits to having been wrong.

However, although Ryan isn't as informative as Lombardi, it wasn't as bad of a listen as most of the mediots. Ryan is certainly a better commentator than head coach.

Ryan made a good point, and one that's often missed by analysts, about Goodwin learning how to "get down and protect himself". Welker was brilliant at that. So many times he'd make a catch in heavy traffic and then just dive forward between defenders to get to the ground with an extra yard or so instead of taking a big hit while trying to get more. It actually took awhile at first for Edelman to learn that, but he's gotten very good at it too.

Ryan is a football guy, first and foremost......yeah, he uses too much bombast for my taste, and I think he learned that bluff & bluster and coaching through the media only takes you so far, but he's a football guy

He's smart (football-wise), he gets the game and those who play it........he's the kind of guy you'd gladly drink a few beers and watch a game with.......if he can come across like that on TV, he'll be solid.......if he lets the bluff & bluster get the better of him, he'll be a caricature of himself, and it will be sad.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back