PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan: Manning prepares more than Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Sanchez

8:30 am. Gets woken up by Santonio Holmes' tweet, which is unintelligible
8:45-9:00 am. Goes to IHOP with Rex Ryan; discusses what makes Tom Brady a great quarterback.
9:02 am. Sends text message to Tom Brady asking if he can hang out next weekend.
9:04 am. Sends second text message to Tom Brady apologizing if he woke him up.
9:07 am. Send third text message to Tom Brady asking if he's mad.
9:16 am. Signs onto AOL Instant Messenger (dial-up) under the screen name "Chize062daSB"
9:19 am. Instant messages several 12-year old female fans to tell them he's playing tonight.
9:21 - 10:15 am. Goes into AOL Chat Room to discuss relationship problems; caps off discussion with the following question: "How do u know if u r really in luv?"
10:30-11:00 am. Watches "One Life to Live" on DVR.
11:00-11:30 am. Watches "General Hospital" on DVR.
11:31 am. Sends fourth text message to Tom Brady asking why he's being ignored.
11:32- 12:02 pm. Watches "As the World Turns" on DVR.
12:03 - 12:12 pm. Calls girlfriend to break up with her; quotes Lyle Lovett "I don't love you any less, but I can't love you any more."
12:18- 12:30 pm. Eats one carrot stick and two celery sticks for lunch, along with 3 oz. of v-8.
12:31 pm. Vomits up lunch.
12:40 - 12:55 pm. Signs back into AOL Instant Messenger (dial-up.) Checks email to see if Tom Brady has written him anything.
1:00 - 1:30 pm. Watches "All My Children" on DVR.
1:30 - 2:00 pm. Watches "90210" on DVR.
2:01- 3:07 pm. Posts 18 messages on "Brandon Walsh Fan Club" site.
3:10 - 3:40 pm. Watches "One Tree Hill" on DVR
3:44 pm. Sends Tom Brady fifth text message to wish him luck at his game.
3:46- 4:05 pm. Has conference call with mother and sister to talk about life.
4:07- 6:02. Drives to mini-mall and goes shopping at GAP, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Banana Republic.
6:18 - 6:48 pm. Watches the same episode of "One Tree Hill" again.
6:52 pm. Drives special, custom-sized 1997 Ford Fiesta to Giants Stadium.
7:18 - 7:48 pm. Watches Oprah on IPhone.
7:49 pm. Gets punched in face by Santonio Holmes.
7:51 pm. Gets kneed in balls by Darrelle Revis.
7:52 pm. Gets kicked in sternum by Brad Smith.
7:54 pm. Gets towel-whipped by Shaun Ellis.
7:58 pm. Gets hair stroked gently by Rex Ryan, who calls him "my little cat."
8:02 pm. Goes three-and-out on first series.
8:09 pm. Goes three-and-out on second series.
8:21 pm. Goes three-and-out on third series.
8:33 pm. Goes three-and-out on fourth series.
8:51 pm. Goes into halftime with 9-0 lead.
8:54 pm. Gets towel-whipped by Nick Mangold.
9:07 pm. Goes three-and-out on fifth series.
9:19 pm. Goes three-and-out on sixth series.
9:33 pm. Goes three-and-out on seventh series.
10:02 pm. Goes three-and-out on eighth series.
10:22 pm. Goes three-and-out on ninth series.
10:41 pm. Executes 2-play, four-yard drive to win game 12-9.
11:06 pm. Tells Andrea Kramer that some of the credit should go to the rest of the team.
11:21-11:55 pm. Hugs coaches and teammates.
11:56 pm. Puts on swim cap to swim laps.
Bravo both of you diary guys.

I like where this thread is heading...Keep the diaries coming

Other suggestions include:

Terrell Suggs
Bill Belichick
Rex Ryan
Jim Caldwell
Ben Roethlisberger
Tony Dungy
Rodney Harrison

This type of rant is just how they say "even what you don't eat makes you ill",just ignore all of this!!! Clearly Mr. Footsie has to pick on Brady now, cause after this weekend, his next chance will be september 2011.

I like where this thread is heading...Keep the diaries coming

Other suggestions include:

Terrell Suggs
Bill Belichick
Rex Ryan
Jim Caldwell
Ben Roethlisberger
Tony Dungy
Rodney Harrison

I'm sure we all know what Terrell Sugg's day consists of.. literally.

This is amazing. How can Rex not get that he's just making his players' jobs harder with each boast? Especially since his Waterloo in the playoffs after the 2009 season came against Peyton Manning? What a bonehead! The Colts already know how to beat the jets and now he's added fuel to the fire.
I am now firmly rooting for a Colts romp.

Those diaries are PatsFans.com Hall-of-Fame worthy.

Some comments on Ryan's comments:

It Is What It Is - Peter King on D&H: Rex Ryan’s ‘mouth goes before he really thinks about it’
Commenting on Rex Ryan‘s backhanded criticism of Tom Brady this week, King said: “I just think his mouth goes before he really thinks about it. That happens a lot of times.”

It Is What It Is - Adam Schefter on D&C: ‘I think Rex [Ryan] just talks. He doesn’t care’
Do the people you talk to around the NFL respect Jets coach Rex Ryan or do they think he’s kind of a clown?

I think Rex just talks. He doesn’t care. There’s no filter. He’s just going to go up and say what he feels. We can try to analyze it and assess it, but it’s just him speaking from the heart and going out there. He doesn’t care.

So people just shrug it off as somebody who speaks without thinking first, and has no filter. Normally that is no big deal, but why would any organization, but especially one that is so public as an NFL team, have the voice of the entire organization be a person that speaks and acts this way? I realize you can't equate an NFL team to a Fortune 500 corporation, but I think because of his actions there will be zero tolerance for Ryan; the moment the Jets fall back to below .500 he's gone. And because of all the other stuff that has gone on, he may not get another coaching opportunity.

The downside is that the four networks will be tripping over themselves to hire him once that happens.

Last edited:
Not that I think he's ever given thought to shooting off his mouth before, but now it actually make sense

Rex is now a walking Punchline to a joke

Nothing short of predicting and winning the Super Bowl from hereon out stands a chance of changing that

It's all or nothing for Rex - unfortunately for him, its ultimately up to the players to save his football reputation

If they lose he's just a fat loser with a tendency to put his foot in his mouth, both figuratively and literally

Ryan crossed the line this time.

Before he would always just boast about his own team but while also giving respect to the opponent. Now he's taking shots at Tom Brady and the Colts coaching staff.

Last edited:
Just shut it: Ryan's bold words put Jets in position to fail

By Vic Carucci NFL.com

Senior Columnist
Updated: Jan. 7, 2011 at 11:04 a.m.

Rex Ryan had little to say after the Colts beat his Jets for the AFC title last year. Will that change Saturday?

For those of us who make our living writing and talking about the NFL, Rex Ryan is a godsend.

Calling him "good copy" doesn't begin to do justice to his capacity for providing what we all crave: Quotable material. In the world of the NFL, that can be extremely hard to come by, especially with the reveal-as-little-as-possible protocol that most coaches follow and preach to their players and staff.

We love Rex because he helps us do our job. He doesn't sound or act like your typical coach who recites the company line because it's the safest way to go about (and, in many cases, try to protect) his job.

We love Rex because he says what is on his mind with no filter, no fear, and no apology.

And that's why it pains me so much to offer this unsolicited advice to the man who has just completed his second regular season at the helm of the New York Jets: Please do yourself and your team a huge favor, and shut up!

I don't mean entirely, of course. I just mean that it's time to be a little more selective with your daily offerings from the podium, to give all of the boasting and bombast a rest.

The playoffs are here, Rex. Your team has made it for the second year in row, which, by itself, should be viewed as a tremendous accomplishment. Unfortunately for you and for your team, its significance is somewhat diminished by your insistence on raising the ante.

You've repeatedly declared that yours is a Super Bowl team and that you were on board to deliver multiple Super Bowl victories. Now, your players have to cash those checks. And the bank tellers are in places that don't give your words a whole lot of credence. One is Indianapolis, site of your wild-card game Saturday night. Other potential branches will be in the unfriendly confines of Foxborough, Mass., and Pittsburgh.

For some reason, Rex, you thought it was a good idea to discuss how "personal" it is for you, as a man who specializes in defense, to win your chess match against Peyton Manning, who took you to school in last year's AFC Championship Game. For some reason, you felt the need to mention, while praising Manning's study habits, that Tom Brady "thinks he does" work at the same pace as his Colts counterpart and "there's probably a little more help from (Bill) Belichick with Brady than there is with Peyton Manning."

Is it really necessary to crank up the heat that much higher on you and your players? Didn't you learn from that Monday night debacle in New England, which left you virtually speechless, that everything you say before a game can and will be used against you and your team?

Sure, it's fun and entertaining and certainly gives a more human quality to what all too often is so boring and robotic. But here's a sad bit of reality that folks in my business will grudgingly admit: Boring and robotic tend to be associated with far more NFL success than outlandish and irreverent.

You know who and what I'm talking about, Rex. The guy in the hoodie with the team that owns all of those silver trophies and is well positioned to win another. The guy whose Super Bowl rings you felt compelled to publicly vow to not kiss after you took over the Jets. The guy who represents the gold standard of your division, your conference, and the entire league.

Bill Belichick is the master of boring and robotic as they apply to NFL coaching. By his standard, giving up little is giving up too much. It's the "Patriot Way," in which the greatest amount of attention goes to a system rather than individuals.

And because of this approach, Belichick's players operate with a clear sense of focus and direction. The only pressure they feel is what Belichick applies with his expectation for excellence and that everyone, including himself, follows the "Patriot Way."

The emphasis is on coaching and playing rather than talking.

Not so with the Jets. These guys have no choice but to be all about Ryan's bold predictions and other incendiary diatribe. They have to face two opponents: The other team and what the coach says to rile up the opposition and everyone else who doesn't root for Gang Green.

That would be difficult if the Jets were a consistently dominant team. They aren't.

The Colts have Manning. The Patriots have Brady. The Steelers have Ben Roethlisberger. The Jets? They have Mark Sanchez, who has a sore shoulder and is at least three playoff victories shy of being recognized as more than an ordinary quarterback -- if he's that. Remember, it was Ryan, in one of his many moments of candor, who revealed that he had considered the possibility of yanking Sanchez from a game before deciding against it.

Overall, the Jets do look like a better team than they were in the AFC title game, but how much better remains to be seen. They still don't seem to have what it takes to get past Manning or any of the other major obstacles they will likely find on the way to trying to fulfill the coach's promise of Super Bowl glory.

And if that's the case, everyone will have plenty to talk about. Everyone, that is, except Ryan.

I understand his logic. This is a motivation move for his team. See, he tell his team, and the world, that Manning is the best QB ever - even better than Brady, who just tore his team apart. If his team wins - it has to face Brady. As they would have just beaten the best QB (in his mind) in the world, dealing with the second best should be easy.

Rexy is gong to have to do something to make his team forget about Brady and how much he owns them in Foxboro.

If is loses the game against Indy, well it does not manner anyway, since he is out of the playoffs.

And yes, I have been drinking. A lot. But I don't think that I am wrong. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes